2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Highest Market Adjustment you have seen?

Search this Thread

Old 3/28/05, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by KUcurt@March 28, 2005, 8:47 AM
cabobrian, that is the dealership I was alluding to. I believe they are kinda slimy. The exact car I wanted was on their showroom floor - black GT Coupe, 5-speed, air bags, IUP, dark charcoal, leather, Bullit wheels. Alas, no way was my wife going to OK paying $3,500 over sticker. We wer very discouraged after that, especially after driving one that day. So, we ordered the same car froma small dealer in a more rural area. They don't get much allotment, they sell mostly trucks. So, we wait. I can't cancel with them, they've been good to me and my brother-in-law has a very good relationship with them. The car will get here eventually. I WILL NOT have anything to do with Bob Allen. I will take my car to Extreme off 135th street for service when needed, not Bob Allen!
Yeah, I posted my experience with them Saturday after I was there for an oil change. I'm definately not going back there. I too saw the exact vert that I was looking for on their showroom floor, but was quite discouraged by the 6K markup.
Old 4/6/05, 02:23 PM
V6 Member

Wow, just got an email today for a Sonic Blue GT 'vert with Shaker 1000, stick, anti-theft, IUP...basically every option except wheels and auto. I'm sure it's a great-looking ride....

BUT NOT FOR FORTY THREE THOUSAND SEVEN HUNDRED TEN DOLLARS ($43,710)!!!!!!!!!!

That's right, dealer markup of a cool 10 grand. The email says in big red letters, "don't wait it will not last!!!!!!!!!!!!" This is in Northern VA, btw.

Beat that...
Old 4/6/05, 02:37 PM
V6 Member

Bob Allen Ford in Overland Park, KS wants 10 grand over for their GT vert, also...
Old 4/6/05, 02:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before I got my car, I tried Watchung Ford in Watchung NJ. These guys didn't even have inventory and they were trying to whack me with a $4,000 premium over sticker. I gave them one chance to change their minds, and then I left. Really made me mad though cause I had driven an hour each way to get to them.

Old 4/6/05, 02:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by KUcurt@April 6, 2005, 2:40 PM
Bob Allen Ford in Overland Park, KS wants 10 grand over for their GT vert, also...
I was just in there last night. They now have 3 GT verts, and their asking price is down to a low, low $6000 over MSRP.
Old 4/6/05, 03:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

I know they wont give a rats arss but perhaps we should all start emailing Ford and letting them know what we think of the raping over MSRP their dealers are trying to get. I know its market value but maybe they need to be reminded that if they keep it up that in the lean years they wont have the customers behind them. I know it wont do good but hey you never know. We get a ton of people to email, somehow the media gets involved, makes it a big story. Yea I know Im dreaming but you never know.
Old 4/6/05, 03:16 PM
Cobra Member

I had one salesman try to compare "market value" on a car to real estate prices. "If your house was worth X, then you wouldn't sell it for X-5." Of course you can argue all day about whether the adjustments on mustangs are actually market driven. I would argue they are to a degree because people are buying them, as long as they are not that outrageous. But to compare a car, which will depreciate rapidly, to real estate, which 99% of the time appreciates rapidly, is moronic. It is hard for me to believe that someone would pay a premium on a car and not be bothered by the fact that they are going to be, in most cases, so far "out of equity" so quickly.
Old 4/6/05, 03:26 PM
V6 Member

MSRP= Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail Price. Retailers can charge what ever they want. About the only control that a manufacturer can place on pricing is called MAP or Minimum Advertised Price. MAP is used to control bait and switch. It keeps retailers from advertising a product that they do not have at a supper low price in order to get people through the door. But it doesn't control what the dealer can charge, only the number in the ad. Look at a Best Buy or Circuit City ad some time. You will see the phrase, "Before Savings" by the price. that means that they can't advertise the actual selling price you can get in the store.

Federal law prohibits manufacturers from setting sale prices. It is considered restraint of trade. The hard fact is that the dealers are charging what the market will bear. There are some people who want to buy a car today. No wait, no hassles, and for that they are paying a premium. Most dealers that have allocation available will work with you on a new order. Just don't expect charity.

Some dealers put crazy numbers on the car because they want to keep the car on the lot for display. Having a car brings in lookers that can turn into orders.
Old 4/6/05, 06:43 PM
V6 Member

You can compare them to Real Estate, or you can compare them to Big Macs, or you can compare them to Krugerands.... doesn't make any difference.

To doubt whether it is "the market" driving the adjustments doesn't make sense. "The Market" is all there is... it is real. One dealer might sell x-plan GTs, but he's playing some kind of market angle of his own - for internet publicity, future allocations, build customer base, needs short cash badly, etc. He AIN'T doing it for any other reason than his own interpretation of how "The Market" will reward him for the decision. And he CAN'T sell one to everybody.

I've seen guys on the internet warning people about the possibility that they were being "taken out of the market" with empty promises of deals near invoice, and other guys on the internet say "only a fool would pay MSRP" and other guys on the internet gloat about phantom "x-plan deals" that apparently are never gonna happen. Then there are the majority of people who are actually driving a GT, and they for the most part have paid the pervailing "Market" rate which is currently full MSRP for this model.

To chase a duplication of that rare GT x-plan or other toughly negotiated price near invoice that we read about, is to try bucking the odds, or to hunker down for a period of patient waiting. I hope you are successful.

Anyway, it's all "The Market".

Good Luck!
Old 4/6/05, 07:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Crap after reading over this I'm feel lucky at getting mine at MSRP.

I knew about the auctions on ebay that are for above msrp. I could never bring
myself to bid on something like that. But if you want something bad enough, you
do what you can to get.
:drive:
Old 4/6/05, 11:14 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

the seattle, tacoma , skagit (north of seattle about 80mile) dealerships were marking the cars up to 34,800 to 35000 - back around 2/25/05 - way over priced.

No idea what they are asking now....
I paid 1500 under msrp about 1500 over invoice...27k Im pretty pleased after seeing some of these responses about 43k
Old 4/6/05, 11:21 PM
V6 Member

I paid 500 over invoice ($26950) for mine.... back in January!!! But I bought it in Montana.. I don't think they sell too many mustangs over there!!!!
Old 4/7/05, 11:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

I am so so glad that I orderd this car Xplan back in October. December came and the out the door price on my GT was $24,589.86 that not counting my $500.00 initial deposit.
These markups above MSRP are sad, but some are willing to pay those prices. Not worth the extra for something that looses value.
Old 4/7/05, 11:51 AM
V6 Member

The biggest question I have: I thought retail orders took precedence over dealer stock. Why is Bob Allen getting all this inventory when there obviously are a bunch of retail orders unfilled? Maybe they were one of the rumored dealers placing bogus retail orders for dealer stock!