2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's my problem after tank replacment

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/05, 10:14 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since the fuel tank replacment under Ford's TSB, I have had a serious vibration in the drive train somewhere. At 25-30 mph, when coasting, accelerating or decelerating the car vibrates as if I were driving across rumble strips. Dealer rechecked the drive shaft balance. They said it was O.K. They told me the tech had marked the shaft and bolts before removing the fuel tank. Rims and tires have been indexed and balanced. At speeds other than 27 mph I can feel a constant vibration/rumbling in the car. I have an automatic GT. The dealer service operations manager told me a zone rep told him it was the same thing as if I were driving 25 mph in 5th gear. The vibration is normal. B.S.

O.K. I did not have the problem before, why now? Has anyone else experienced the vibration? I don't believe it is exhaust harmonics either. This an 8, not six. Sixes had exhaust harmonic dampner problems under a TSB.

Is it the rear gears, driveshaft, transmission or something in the engine? I hate driving the thing now.
Old 6/5/05, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

If it's one thing this car has, it is not vibration.
Take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix.
Tell them nice and don't ask.
I would guess drive shaft.

How is the tank filling?

Good luck.

Let us know what happens.
Old 6/5/05, 10:23 AM
FR500 Member

My money would be on the driveshaft also.

Paul
Old 6/5/05, 10:24 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by ponyboy66@June 5, 2005, 11:22 AM
If it's one thing this car has, it is not vibration.
Take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix.
Tell them nice and don't ask.
I would guess drive shaft.

How is the tank filling?

Good luck.

Let us know what happens.

Tank is filling fine now and the front end popping is gone. I was reluctant to have the tank replaced becuse I suspected problems such as this would show up. Anytime one thing is fixed, it seems two more problems show up.

It seems almost as if we Mustang owners have to find the solutions to our problems and then tell the service depts. how to fix them. Ford Customer Service is absolutely worthless. Talk about attitude problems. If I had the time, I would like to put it up on their lifts myself and find the problem. But that is what they get paid for. I couldn't believe the area rep said this is normal. Another paycheck earner that palms off problems and thinks the customer will buy it. :bang:
Old 6/5/05, 10:31 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen another thread somewhere about this exact situation. I believe it turned out to be that the driveshaft was damaged during the tank replacement proceedure. I would demand a driveshaft. These aren't regular driveshafts, they are two piece I believe. Something could be with the Ujoints or who knows what.

This is why I will deal with the gas tank issue. I don't want any old knucklehead wrenching on my car.

Sorry, it stinks man, but don't give up. You know it's not right. Stay on them till they fix it.

:angry:
Old 6/5/05, 11:34 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
driveshaft. It just makes sense since they had to remove it in order to replace the fuel tank.
Old 6/5/05, 11:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I had the same problem. I had the gas tank replaced only to find there was a hole in a hose on the new tank. So they replaced it again & then I got the car back only to have a horrible vibration and a roaring noise inside the car. From 60-80 mph there was a roaring noise & accelerating & braking there was a vibration that you could feel in the drivers seat & the steering wheel.

I took it back & they check it & replaced my driveshaft. After that I have had no problems with the car. Other than I have a fuse that has shot & am taking it this week to have them replace it.

Anyway, I would take the car to another dealer & have them check it out. Because it sound just like what I had & mine was the driveshaft. Anyway. That's just my 2 cents. Good luck with it though.

Kera
Old 6/5/05, 01:20 PM
V6 Member

These are all the reasons why, on the approximately 1 in 4 fillups where I have trouble... I simply turn the nozzle upside down and live with it. My wife had a Wrangler that did the same thing... we consider it a quirk, not a fatal defect that must be fixed or else.

Knuckleheads wrenching on my car... exactly! Only if truly necessary.
Old 6/5/05, 02:35 PM
GT Member

Kera that sounds just like my problem. I can feel it through the seat also. Time to tell them once again how to fix their products. The Service Operations Mgr. loves when I tell him the repair info was gotten of this board. I am going to strongly insist they replace the drive shaft. Another trip another dollar lost wages......