2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

help with rattle please and other general questions

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/16, 12:20 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
help with rattle please and other general questions

New to me 07 GT. I have a few questions. I have a rattle that almost sounds like a baby rattle maybe a mettalic sound to it coming from what I think is the rear passenger side. Thought it might be the brakes. I replaced pads and rotors and it's still there. It goes away 2 mins after running car. I heard it at idle not moving in park. While moving straight and while turning. Although it seems to happen more when turning. Very intermittent. Generally happens after car sits a few hours. I do not think it is exhaust hangers.
Second while doing the break job (1st one for me) I notice I can rotate the wheel I hear backlash noise from what I expect to be the driveshaft or tranny (auto). Is that normal?
Third. I noticed there is some play as far as moving the wheel in and out relative to the axle. Not a wobble but straight in and out. Both axles seemed to be the same. I am guessing thats normal but wanted some input.
Old 9/5/16, 11:04 AM
V6 Member

I also have the same noise your experiencing, mine too from the back passenger side. Ordered new pads before I even looked to see if they we're worn, threw the car up on a lift and the brakes still have 80% or so left on them. At this point we figured contamination so we cleaned the pads off, re installed and the noise is still there. Mine comes on when i first start to apply the brake, as I apply more pressure the noise cuts off completely. Very frustrating.
Old 9/5/16, 02:00 PM
V6 Member

I hear ya. I got the back wheels up started the car and let them spin in forward, reverse and turned them myself in neutral. Gave it some gas etc. I could not reproduce it. I got the diff fluid changed had the guys check again for loose stuff that might cause the noise. No avail. I removed the rearmost exhaust hangers on both sides just to see if it made any difference. None. The noise is hard to describe. Maybe baby rattle is wrong. It comes off as a tinny rasp sometimes. Very brief then just goes away. If somehow I discover the source I'll post. There are so many bearings, bushings etc. Just may have to get used to it until the problem that is causing this results in a failure. I read about this things called a mechanics ear. It is a fancy 4 channel listening device. I was thinking of putting an external mic on my cellphone and putting it in various spots under the car to see if I can zero in on where the noise is coming from.
Old 9/5/16, 08:11 PM
V6 Member

Just wondering. I bought the car used and of couse didn't hear anything on the test drive. Did it just come up or did it happen after you changed something?
Old 9/6/16, 11:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by bh6247
New to me 07 GT. I have a few questions. I have a rattle that almost sounds like a baby rattle maybe a mettalic sound to it coming from what I think is the rear passenger side. Thought it might be the brakes. I replaced pads and rotors and it's still there. It goes away 2 mins after running car. I heard it at idle not moving in park. While moving straight and while turning. Although it seems to happen more when turning. Very intermittent. Generally happens after car sits a few hours. I do not think it is exhaust hangers.
Second while doing the break job (1st one for me) I notice I can rotate the wheel I hear backlash noise from what I expect to be the driveshaft or tranny (auto). Is that normal?
Third. I noticed there is some play as far as moving the wheel in and out relative to the axle. Not a wobble but straight in and out. Both axles seemed to be the same. I am guessing thats normal but wanted some input.
Shot in the dark here but inside your trunk along the edges there are a couple of crevices. Something may have dropped down there and might just be rattling around. When your car is cold it idles slightly different and maybe that difference in frequency may be causing something to rattle. That is if you are sure it is not the hangers. Otherwise I might get back there with a little rubber mallet and just start banging on stuff until you can reproduce it. probably just some loose metal piece somewhere if it doesn't sound like a mechanical rattle.

There is a lot of slop or play in the driveshaft with it's 2 piece design. Noise when switching directions is pretty normal.

There is normally some end play in the axles. If it seems excessive I would check out the C-clips.
Old 9/8/16, 07:55 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the input. I am going to try to post a video.
Old 9/8/16, 08:44 PM
V6 Member

link to video
Old 9/10/16, 08:12 AM
V6 Member

Crossing my fingers. I think it was the exhaust tip. Drove it twice. Last night and this morning completely cold. No noise after I took off the exhaust tip. Thanks again. Now on to the passenger seat.