2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

HELP needed - identifying engine sound

Search this Thread

Old 8/13/08 | 10:55 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Rebuild is complete, just waiting for my shop to throw the motor back in the car; it's taking them forever!
hope you get her SOON man

I would be flipping

Old 8/13/08 | 01:19 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Thats good you caught it Dave. Do the 3v's have the problem like some of the earily 2v's did? In my 2000 GT i had a tapping or ticking noise, it was figured out when the plug shot out of the head and stripped that plug hole out completely. Ford had only put like 3 threads in an aluminum head. I was one of the first that it happened to on stangnet, followed by quite a few other folks.
Old 8/13/08 | 02:39 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by Scothew
Thats good you caught it Dave. Do the 3v's have the problem like some of the earily 2v's did? In my 2000 GT i had a tapping or ticking noise, it was figured out when the plug shot out of the head and stripped that plug hole out completely. Ford had only put like 3 threads in an aluminum head. I was one of the first that it happened to on stangnet, followed by quite a few other folks.
these 3vs are just 'noisy' with the hood open - like you can hear the injectors constantly firing or whatnot - it certainly doesn't sound like an old school 5.0 you know?

The thing sure moves out though so I can't complain

play metroplex's youtube vid he posted in this thread for the basic S197 engine sound
Old 8/13/08 | 03:23 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

yeah 4.6L 2v's and 4vs are alot more noisy than 5.0s
Old 8/13/08 | 07:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Rebuild is complete, just waiting for my shop to throw the motor back in the car; it's taking them forever!
Do you have an official Tacobill engine rebuild thread? If not then what have you had done? Just stock or any "additions"?

So you spun a bearing on number 8? I have a Dodge Stealth and they were bad to wear and spin main bearings, albeit at a high mileage. Some think it's due to an oiling system problem. Was yours a rod or main? Curious about what all had to be done.
Old 8/13/08 | 09:09 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by Burke0011
Okay so I need some help here identifying this sound that cropped up over the past week.

Started noticing it in the enclosed space of the garage right before I would pull out in the morning to go to work – at first I thought I was just hearing things. Finally realized I could hear it coming from underneath the car (a rythmic 'tapping') stopped at a light next to another car, with the radio down I realized I could hear it ‘bouncing’ off their car.

When I got my first S197 at the end of 2004, and my brother and his wife got theirs, I learned that these 3 valves can be ‘noisy‘ and they have their own unique sound running with the hood up. Well to me, this sounds like that sound amplified – a light metallic ‘tapping’ or ‘tak-tak-tak-tak’.

The sound is there at idle (starts about 1 second after the engine turns over) and increases and decreases with the rpms.

Initially I thought it was from underneath the car as I said, because you can clearly hear it standing next to the car at idle. Last night I popped the hood while it was running in the garage and listened, comparing the passenger side to the drivers side – it is obviously coming from only the drivers side and back by the firewall (general location of the #8 cylinder I guess although its hard to hear exactly with the SC spinning.)

Only things changed on the car recently was the HT0 sparkplug install back around 4th of July.

This has been going on all week and the car has shown no signs of driving differently – power is the same, no stumbles, etc…. (which is why I ruled out the sparkplugs)

It’s obviously something I need to have looked at in a shop but I wanted to get people’s impressions and if they have had anything similar occur.

Below is a quick vid I took last night starting from under the car and then into the engine bay – you need to try and tune out the clatter from the Saleen in the engine bay but once you do, the sound (clicking) is evident. And in person it is definitely louder than it sounds on the video.

http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h242/Burke0011/?action=view&current=MVI_3255.flv
Hey Burke0011! What side of the motor do you think the sound is coming from? I know exactly what is making that sound.

You need to remove the valve cover of the side you are positive the sound is coming from. Then search for the "roller follower" that has broken a pin. The one that is broken will extend the pin further out on one side of the camshaft roller arm.

The V6 and GT engines use the same Roller Follower's. The ford Part number is #6529 and they run about $19 bucks each from the Ford Parts counter. They take 1-2 days to get in, unless your Ford Dealer has stock..

You can fix it yourself easily in 1-2 hrs.. I had to replace mine for making the same sound in the past. The V6 and GT use the same parts in regards to camshafts..

Last edited by MSP; 8/13/08 at 09:11 PM.
Old 8/13/08 | 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Good suggestion but he found out it was an exhaust leak on one of the plugs not being seated properly.

Originally Posted by MSP
Hey Burke0011! What side of the motor do you think the sound is coming from? I know exactly what is making that sound.

You need to remove the valve cover of the side you are positive the sound is coming from. Then search for the "roller follower" that has broken a pin. The one that is broken will extend the pin further out on one side of the camshaft roller arm.

The V6 and GT engines use the same Roller Follower's. The ford Part number is #6529 and they run about $19 bucks each from the Ford Parts counter. They take 1-2 days to get in, unless your Ford Dealer has stock..

You can fix it yourself easily in 1-2 hrs.. I had to replace mine for making the same sound in the past. The V6 and GT use the same parts in regards to camshafts..
Old 8/13/08 | 09:31 PM
MSP
Banned

This is the defective part your looking for under the valve cover.

When the center pin breaks, it causes the cam to tap on the top of the roller wheel and make a ticking sound. This also wears out you cam lobe, if you do not find the problem soon enough. If the car is making a ticking sound, it is slowly ruining your cam!
Old 8/13/08 | 09:32 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by randy_tho
Good suggestion but he found out it was an exhaust leak on one of the plugs not being seated properly.
Oh ok.. The sound is the same in his audio file.. Glad he found the problem!
Old 8/13/08 | 09:38 PM
MSP
Banned

This problem has a way of hiding for awhile. Sometimes when you start the car, the sound may go away, cause the roller wheel is seating properly. Then out of nowhere, the sound returns..

So if the sound comes back burk0011, then you can refer to my recommendation at a later time. When my car had this problem, it was hard to track down, cause it would not do it all the time. However, you will know when it returns, cause when your in traffic, you will hear a ticking sound when next to another car.. So hopefully he fixed the problem. But from the way the audio sounded, he has a broken hydraulic roller finger roller pin..

Give it some time!
Old 8/13/08 | 09:53 PM
MSP
Banned

Hey Burke011 I listened to your audio file again, and you better remove the valve cover and find out which roller finger is damaged, before if it comes apart on you at high RPM and ruin your motor its going to cost a lot of money.

I am 100% positive what that sound is. No way that sound of grinding is an exhaust leak! I promise you!
Old 8/14/08 | 07:00 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by MSP
Hey Burke011 I listened to your audio file again, and you better remove the valve cover and find out which roller finger is damaged, before if it comes apart on you at high RPM and ruin your motor its going to cost a lot of money.

I am 100% positive what that sound is. No way that sound of grinding is an exhaust leak! I promise you!
I appreciate all the input man and saved your info for future reference!

What I should have made more clear on here (because someone else made that mistake) is the noise of the Saleen supercharger which you can always hear with the hood up (and it sounds a bit louder and distrorted through my camera's little mic)

The signature sound ('rotor chatter' I think they call it) is what you are talking about - all the Saleen Series VI do that so that's not an issue.
Old 8/14/08 | 12:20 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by Burke0011
I appreciate all the input man and saved your info for future reference!

What I should have made more clear on here (because someone else made that mistake) is the noise of the Saleen supercharger which you can always hear with the hood up (and it sounds a bit louder and distrorted through my camera's little mic)

The signature sound ('rotor chatter' I think they call it) is what you are talking about - all the Saleen Series VI do that so that's not an issue.
LOL!! I see. That must have been the grinding sound I heard.. Glad your on top of it! It sucks when our Mustangs make funny noises. Thats the first thing I do while the car is warming up, is listen for any new noises which do not have an invitation to the boost party! Keep it movin Burke0011!!