2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Help 2005-09 GT owners!

Old 5/14/11, 05:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help 2005-09 GT owners!

I'm going to be in the market for a new car in the next year or so and because of the great deals I have seen I am considering a low mile 2005-09 GT. I know many on the site have owned these cars for several years. I'd like to get advice on what to look for as far as common problems. What years and options should I avoid. Also those who have owned a 2005-09 GT for several years please give me an idea of what kind of MPGs you get. How is it in the snow (it has to be better than my current 1997 GT). How do these cars age, anyone have a high mile car that they can tell me about? This car will be a daily driver so I am not interested in modding it but want a reliable, fun somewhat fuel efficient car to drive.

I'm assuming 2009 will probably be the perfected version of the 2005 model and I found a low mile one for a great price I may even jump on the purchase early depending on the kind of feedback I get. Thanks in advance as I know this is the greatest 2005-09 forum on the web!

Last edited by 97GT03SVT; 5/14/11 at 05:33 PM.
Old 5/14/11, 06:53 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
had mine since dec 05, still absolutely love the car...only 'issues' were self inflicted- hurt 2nd synchro(powershifting- after about 20 runs down the track it decided no more), and a little offroad excursion involving tcs off and hitting second a bit too hard in the rain...

Ive never driven one in the snow, but would be pretty certain better tires would be a must- the stock pirellis are not bad in rain, but sure theres better for snow.

back in December, ford did a buyback on our windstar- I had a rental 2010/2011(?) Marquis for a month - the car sucked horribly in the snow- wish I'd have written down what tires were on it, but it was brand new and was the absolute WORST car I ever drove in the snow...
I ended up getting a 2000 marquis for a 6 seater winter car, but its got Goodyear assurance tires (I think- will doublecheck) and its a tank in snow...funny those cars were 11 years apart, yet freakin identical, and the tires made all the difference in the world.

if you expect a lot of winter driving, a automatic might be easier too...the stick is soo much more fun to drive, but comparing my old auto vs stick pickups over the years, the stick was a little more tedious in the snow I have to admit...
with decent tires, I'm sure a manual trans will do just fine in snow, just leave the tcs button alone if roads arent dry- trust me on that one

good luck on your low mile 09- weve got one also... 4.3 miles

Last edited by ford4v429; 5/14/11 at 06:56 PM.
Old 5/14/11, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I drive a stock '08 GT on mostly highway to work and average 25 mpg.

It was driven one winter and it is pretty good on snow with the TCS on even with the Pirelli's. On ice, forget it as with any car.

Look under the hood lip for bubbles. That is a know issue on the '05+ cars.

Last edited by 825LTRGT; 5/14/11 at 08:54 PM.
Old 5/14/11, 09:00 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
The first few years have the crazy spark plugs that are a PITA to change.
The later ones have different spark plugs and heads.
My MPGs are usually about 18, but I floor it too often. I have gotten as much as 27mpg on a "no floor" it cruise.
I know of more than one guy around here who drives his in the snow here.
Tires are everything in the snow.
The right tires and they are fine.
Old 5/14/11, 09:02 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Watch for drool marks in the paint.

Seriously though, there's a wealth of info here - I'd take a glance through the older Warranty and Service threads and see if any patterns are there. There used to be a TSB thread here that addressed a lot of the more common problems.

My 05 has been perfect with one exception... the fuel tank.

So, before you buy, bring an extra 15 bucks and put some gas in the car. Make sure it takes fuel properly and doesn't shut off prematurely. That's the only problem I had, and a lot of us did.

Good luck!
Old 5/14/11, 09:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say most TSB's that were applicable to the car have been done.

I had done on mine:

-Fuel Tank
-Fuel Pump (remember that one?...cutting out under WOT)
-TPS replaced before they knew it was the fuel pump causing the issue
-Shaker 500 replaced 3 times (now have a Kenwood NAV unit.)
-Rear pads changed under warranty for "squealing"
-Parking brake kept freezing in cold weather. Replaced necessary part 3 times and it still freezes so I don't use it in the winter anymore.

Other than that (which were all done within the first year or two, I have a 2005 GT) no problems.
Old 5/15/11, 11:19 AM
Cobra R Member

From the research I have done it seems most of the TSBs that you guys have mentioned are pretty much on 2005-06 cars. I'm thinking it's worth the extra money to buy an 07-09 car. I'm thinking along with the minor upgrades I'd probably get less headaches as well. Perhaps an extra 2-3k is worth it to buy a newer one. The ones I have looked at have been a 2005 GT (I love screaming yellow!) A 2008 GT and a 2009. The gap in price between the 2005 and the 2009 is $3500 but it seems like it is worth the money. All three have mileage under 40k

Correct me if I'm wrong but from the research I've gathered tell me that the 2007-09 upgrades include...

All of the extra bracing done to the GT500 is passed onto the 2007-09 Mustangs.

The more precise shifter from the Bullitt is on all 2008-09 GTs.

Newer cars obviously have more options (heated seats, Navigation) anything else that I am missing? Also do any of the 2007-09 GT owners have any TSB issues that the earlier cars have? thanks for the feedback guys
Old 5/15/11, 03:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Listen for a rattle/scrape on the 1-2 shift about 3k = trans plate TSB. Mine does it periodically.

The hood corrosion TSB is still out there and a problem even on '08-'09 cars.

Good Luck!
Old 5/15/11, 03:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an 08 gt/cs I get 26-28 mpg on the way to work every morning, 19 in the street. love my baby!
The only and I do mean ONLY major issues I've had is the 3rd gear synchro crapping out on me, but there is a TSB for that. dealer took care of it. I'm pleased to report that I have no rattles, moans or shakes or anything falling apart in the car. it's got 37k on the clock so far since I bought it brand new.

Last edited by fdjizm; 5/15/11 at 03:28 PM.
Old 5/15/11, 03:30 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Originally Posted by 825LTRGT
Listen for a rattle/scrape on the 1-2 shift about 3k = trans plate TSB. Mine does it periodically.

The hood corrosion TSB is still out there and a problem even on '08-'09 cars.

Good Luck!
Funny, I just fixed this on mine. It's an 07 with almost 18k on it. It started as a rattle around 3k shifts when it was cold. Then last fall it turned into a constant scraping sound while it was running and cold, but would go away after 3-5 min. I used two spacers on the bottom bolts of the trans plate and the noise is now gone. Other than that the car has been a blast to own, the 07-09 car are a touch nicer with the options offered.

If you look at history and do your research I really don't think you can go wrong with any 05-09 S197.

On the MPG front, I average about 20mpg. This is with 4.10 gears, C&L intake and a Bama 93R Tune. I do a lot of highway driving in the 70-80mph range.

I know you said you are not looking to mod the car but IMHO an intake and tune for these cars are worth their weight in gold. If you are near by I would be more than happy to let you take mine for a drive to see for yourself. You can compare it to a stock car and see what your missing .

Where in MA are you from? I'm living in North Attleboro.

Either way, good luck

Last edited by 07S197; 5/15/11 at 03:33 PM.
Old 5/15/11, 03:38 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
The more precise shifter from the Bullitt is on all 2008-09 GTs.
I don't think that's correct. The 08/09 Bullitt upgrades (not pertaining to SE) were not on the GT until the 10. Then the 10 got some of the further 'track pack' suspension. I've pointed out Bullitt features carried forward to the 2010 GT.

2010 Ford Mustang
The Best of New, Heritage
Cleverly combining modern technology with Mustang heritage is a signature of the 2010 model, in terms of both design and engineering.

"All of the Bullitt elements are the base foundation of the GT," said Randle, noting engine and chassis improvements. "We also applied some improvements gained from Mustang racing. We're learning constantly and always giving that to the customer on the base car."

The 2010 Mustang 4.6-liter V-8 benefits from innovations from the popular Bullitt model. Power has increased to 315 horsepower.

"It runs on regular gasoline, but if you put in premium it has adaptive calibration that will give you even better mid-range torque," Barnes said, adding that Easy Fuel™, Ford's innovative capless fuel system, is standard on all models.

Improvements inspired by the Bullitt program, for instance, are seen on the genuine polished-aluminum manual transmission **** and leather-wrapped shift ****, which support a short-throw, performance-based shifter originally launched on the feature car.

Horsepower gains on the V-8 are achieved by the cold-air induction system pioneered through Ford Racing Technology. The intake is tucked behind the driver-side headlamp, mounted in an air box specific to the Mustang. Extensive sealing modifications ensure cold air from the front of the Mustang feed the engine.

A true ram-air system offered on a base GT vehicle is a first for Mustang.

"That means more horsepower and more torque in all driving conditions," Randle said.

The redline for the V-8 is increased 250 rpm to 6,500, and revised calibration ensures the customer fully feels these changes.

Both the V-6 and V-8 engines have larger exhaust tips, growing to 3 and 3 ½ inches, respectively, up ½ inch from the previous model. The V-8 exhaust features polished tips.

"The 2010 Mustang runs great on regular fuel, and that is where we quote our peak numbers, but we also have a great dual-adaptive knock calibration that allows the 2010 Mustang to run on regular fuel as well as premium fuel, and the system figures it out itself," said powertrain supervisor Chris Roxin. "It also improves the torque of the engine in the low- to mid-rpm range."

The proven chassis from the Bullitt series serves as the base for the GT. A tower-to-tower brace pioneered on the Bullitt lends additional torsional and lateral stiffness to the chassis to improve cornering for those selecting the 19-inch tire.

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2008...rd_mustang.php
Whereas the Bullitt improvements were not on the 2009 GT 45th anniversary model:
http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2008...ustang2009.php
http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2008...stangspecs.php

But you can buy a Bullitt shifter and put it in an 09 GT. It is excellent!

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/15/11 at 04:08 PM.
Old 5/15/11, 03:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 08 GT has not had s single sqwak on it since day 1. Floor mat was left unhooked and the throttle got hung up getting on the highway once. Now I check after every car wash.
Old 5/15/11, 04:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Cusp
My 08 GT has not had s single sqwak on it since day 1. Floor mat was left unhooked and the throttle got hung up getting on the highway once. Now I check after every car wash.
**** that's crazy, your car went all prius on you?
Old 5/15/11, 05:04 PM
Bullitt Member

My 08 is great! Lots of fun to drive.

The biggest issue I'm having with it is it does not have a 5.0 under the hood. This is causing me to have disturbing Ford dealer related thoughts that I am trying to resist.
Old 5/15/11, 05:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Side seat airbags were an option for 05, 06, 07, not sure 08, 09.
Old 5/15/11, 07:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2005GTDELUXE
Side seat airbags were an option for 05, 06, 07, not sure 08, 09.
Side air bags were std on the '08-'09 cars.
Old 5/16/11, 04:56 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
I don't think that's correct. The 08/09 Bullitt upgrades (not pertaining to SE) were not on the GT until the 10. Then the 10 got some of the further 'track pack' suspension. I've pointed out Bullitt features carried forward to the 2010 GT.

Whereas the Bullitt improvements were not on the 2009 GT 45th anniversary model:
http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2008...ustang2009.php
http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2008...stangspecs.php

But you can buy a Bullitt shifter and put it in an 09 GT. It is excellent!
I made a thread about the (non) bullitt shifter upgrade- pics of the old stock vs the new stock (old bullitt) shifters...
https://themustangsource.com/f669/15...pgrade-487235/
Old 5/16/11, 05:25 AM
Bullitt Member

I have almost 70k on my '07 GT/CS with no real issues except the alternato went and had to replace the stock tires at 37k, with Good Year Eagle High perf All Seasons as i do drive it in the winter. I would suggest snow tires if you drive it a lot as i only commute 3 miles and not a real issue.
You will love any 05-09 Gt as well as the looks & thumbs up from everyone. Not a single day has gone by that i have not had a posative comment.
Good luck in you hunt!
Old 5/16/11, 09:35 AM
GT Member

In addition to the great info here, my advice when shopping used is to make sure you find a "Premium" with the Interior Upgrade Package. No offence to those that prefer the plain base interior, but in my eyes the IUP adds so much to the daily enjoyment of the car. I've had my '05 for 2 years with no issues other than the hood paint bubbling (and that is only since some minor collision damage was "fixed") I do wish I had heated seats but I drive my car in Canadian winter.

Edit: Speaking of which, my manual trans. car is excellent in the snow and ice. I use the stock 17" bullitt wheels and dedicated winter tires as my November to March setup. Turn the traction control off to get rolling in the deep stuff or up hill and for U turns/doughnuts - leave it on the rest of the time.

Last edited by Kevindust; 5/16/11 at 09:47 AM.
Old 5/16/11, 10:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
Been driving my '06 GT since new - daily driver. Folks have already listed most everything you would want to be aware of.

One thing - the 2005-2006 GT cars went out the door with the 3.55 rear end ratio. After that, the stock rear was a 3.31 with 3.55 as an extra cost option.

I get 20mpg, and I drive it for fun, not for mileage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help 2005-09 GT owners!