2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Held captive by clueless local dealer

Search this Thread

Old 9/6/06, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Held captive by clueless local dealer

Iwent by my dealer for a brochure yesterday and soon was test driving a new G.T.This new mustang has so much power and the ride is great-even with 18"tires.I told the salesman all he has to do is let a customer drive one and he'll buy it.He asked what color inside and out I needed and auto or stick.He then put me in an office forever after taking my drivers license and doing an inventory and incentives check.Upon returning he told me there was no $500 dealer cash or $500 X-plan rebate-this after his own dealership had told me over the phone I'd get a total $1,000 off X-plan price if delivered before 10-02-06.The girl I'd talked to couldn't say why they disappeared! I finally told the guy I was diabetic and had to get some groceries under my belt before I fainted so he snatched back the search results from my hand and said they'd be on file when I returned-I DON'T THINK SO!
Old 9/6/06, 02:32 PM
GT Member

too bad you had such a bad time. many dealers its seems act that way, they are super nice to get you in the dealership and then once there they show their true colors.

hopefully you can find a good dealership and salesman (I have been told they do actually exist) and your car can come home soon!
Old 9/6/06, 05:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Jerry, I can help you out on this. I just checked the VINCENT program listings, and the $500 X-Plan rebate is there, but the dealer cash is gone. It disappeared once the programs changed last night. Any questions, feel free to hit me with a PM.
Old 9/6/06, 05:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yikes, that sucks!

One question? Why did he take your drivers licence? They only need to copy the info onto a test drive form and at the most make a Xerox copy. But there is no reason for them to keep your drivers license. I bet he made you wait alone for a super long time too while getting you info.

Hah! Keeping the search results on file my @ss! They tossed those in the garbage the moment you left the building. It is super easy to do a vehicle locate; only takes half a minute. You can even do one at home through Ford's website. It all pulls from the same data.
Old 9/6/06, 05:49 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my buddy went to a local ford dealership here to test drive a minivan w/wife and kids. He wanted to leave and the guy wouldn't give him his car keys back. He threatened to call the cops and after a while ,finally got his keys back. All this while the wife and kids were waiting in the hot car to go home. now that **** is enough to make you go postal.
Ford lost the sale to Chrysler
Old 9/6/06, 06:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Chuck, that instance you posted is what kills the reputation of car salesman, even the honest ones on here, and out there. That type of place, he didn't want to do business with anyway, if they treated him like that.
Old 9/6/06, 08:04 PM
Cobra Member

Some of these insentives may be a barganning tool. Dude you made the mistake of letting the Salesman know you where sold on the vehicle. Next time play the game of whats this going to cost me and his best deal. Never buy on the first visit unless you have been price shopping around.
Old 9/7/06, 05:45 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I have never had that problem. I spent a good year and a half shopping for my second mustang, and my salesman was very patient. He always knew I would know when THE ONE popped up. I found the Tungsten and bought it the next day. My dealer always does the paperwork while I am not there, and we go in and sign everything and drive off.

Course, not to say we don't have crappy dealers- like the one I won't mention here by the mall where the salesman with a tail and scales told me women shouldn't shop for cars without their husbands, or the one who told me they wouldn't sell me one of their 05s but would be happy to unload an 04 on me.
Old 9/7/06, 06:52 AM
V6 Member

I went to about 7 dealerships before I found a good one. His first offer on my trade was $1000 more than anyone else and he managed to get me an a plan pin.
I had a salesman play the "swipe the car keys" game with me once. The guy thought he was real bright, until he realised I had picked up HIS keys off his desk during one of his many trips to talk to the manager.
Old 9/7/06, 08:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

I only go to the dealer for 2 reasons: test drive, and to buy the car. Brochures, pricing, specs - it's all online. I called a dealer to set up a test drive, specifically told him I'll be on my lunch break, only have 1/2 hour. After test drive, all other communication was through email, including price negotiation. I actually bought the car from a different dealer than the test-drive one, and i never met my salesman until i picked up the car (ordered from factory).

Point is - minimize interaction with the salesman, and NEVER just wander into a dealer for a brochure. If they sense you have time, interest, and little preparation, they'll attack like sharks.
Old 9/7/06, 09:06 AM
Cobra Member

Thats funny. Thats how I got into my first new car. I had been doing research and wanted a new car but did not believe I could get one. I just wanted to see what they would say. They held me basically captive, no clocks anywhere in or around the showroom. It was a LONG day, by the end of it I knew their game and started walking around out of bordome. I'd duck into the childrens area and watch my sales person litterally running around franticly looking for me. Then I went outside, it was dark and they had a group of 4 people searching for me, was too funny, should have seen their faces. The sales guy sat me down and brought me brochures, soda, and some trinkets to look at, then eventually sat with me so I couldn't evade him.

It was wierd at first but I ended up having a great time making them sweat it out.
Old 9/7/06, 03:29 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Rash
I only go to the dealer for 2 reasons: test drive, and to buy the car. Brochures, pricing, specs - it's all online. I called a dealer to set up a test drive, specifically told him I'll be on my lunch break, only have 1/2 hour. After test drive, all other communication was through email, including price negotiation. I actually bought the car from a different dealer than the test-drive one, and i never met my salesman until i picked up the car (ordered from factory).

Point is - minimize interaction with the salesman, and NEVER just wander into a dealer for a brochure. If they sense you have time, interest, and little preparation, they'll attack like sharks.
I go to my dealer to drink their free Cappacino. 6 or 7 cups later I'm using their toilet to take a dump,then leave with a freaking wild *** buzz. I do this about once every month when I'm on that side of town. They know me by heart,so they don't come up to me anymore
Old 9/7/06, 03:37 PM
V6 Member

i only negotiate using the internet. the internet salesman usually arent on commission. When I bought mine the guy said he earned an additional $1.25 on the sale.
Old 9/7/06, 03:41 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by lmmmmm
i only negotiate using the internet. the internet salesman usually arent on commission. When I bought mine the guy said he earned an additional $1.25 on the sale.
somehow not buyin that one I could be wrong though
Old 9/7/06, 05:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Jerry, its Jeff. I got your PM, and sent you a few back. Give me a call, and I'll help you out with the programs on the car. Thanks for the message.
Old 9/7/06, 05:43 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by lmmmmm
Did he say, "a dollar and twentyfive cents" or "a buck and a quarter" ?
A buck and a quarter in car sales lingo is $125.
Old 9/7/06, 06:27 PM
Bullitt Member

That sucks . When we were ordering our car the first dealership we tried refused to take x-plan. The second dealership we tried took the x-plan with no problem. They told us if there were any rebates, we would get that too on top of the x-plan ( of course at that time there were not any rebates).
Old 9/7/06, 07:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
I go to my dealer to drink their free Cappacino. 6 or 7 cups later I'm using their toilet to take a dump,then leave with a freaking wild *** buzz. I do this about once every month when I'm on that side of town. They know me by heart,so they don't come up to me anymore
okay then.
Old 9/8/06, 05:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
He held your license??

Given the way you were treated, it's time to pull your own credit report and see if they ran a credit check on you. It is not legal for them to do that - but it doesn't mean it was not done behind your back.

Every time someone makes a credit inquiry, it lowers your FICA score - three points, I think. If this dealership did this, you can call them on the carpet about it. You could also take legal action, more than likely. And get the FICA score on your credit report corrected. Or at the very least add a statement to your report indicating the credit inquiry was done without your permission.

I encourage you to decide what you can pay for your Mustang. Make them your offer. If they start trying to park you in a cubicle, walk. I bet you will not be able to get back in your car before someone will come out to get you. Don't waver on your price. If they jerk you around again, walk again. There's other dealerships, and other purchasing options.

Your legs (and doing your homework) are your most powerful assets in dealership negotiations. It means more work on your part. But doing it this way will finally reveal an good dealer and salesperson to you somewhere. Then you'll have someone to build a good business relationship with.

Good luck to you in your serach!