2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Heater 2005 model

Search this Thread

Old 2/29/20, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heater 2005 model

Hey up my friends,just bought myself a 2005 gt it's a great car except the heater doesn't blow hot air,I've renewed the thermostat,checked the level but still nothing,it blows Great on cold air but nothing when you turn it to warm air,the two heater pipes that go in the heater matrix are hot so I don't think it's the matrix,somebody said that there's something missing when I turn it to hot,either something has snapped and is there some kind of flaps that turn it from cold to hot,any info would be good, Thanks
Old 2/29/20, 03:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Ok, so... It could be something else, like the heater pipe is leaking (it goes under the intake from the back of the water pump and then to the hoses at the firewall), but I doubt it.

It is *probably* the Temperature Blend Door actuator motor.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=336&f=Tempera...20Actuator.pdf

It's *somewhat* easy to get to that one. You'll want a wobble socket or a universal to get the screws out. And probably a pick to get the connector to come off.

The other three are the Air Inlet, Panel, and Defrost doors. They do not seem to be involved in this. Air Inlet is easy, just on the underside of the box right in the middle of the passenger floor area. Panel and Defrost are a little buried/convoluted, but also doable. But again, probably not those, just the temp blend door. The motor's probably just stuck, it happens. Mostly they make a lot of noise and click though, so... odd. But it's my odds on favorite in this list on what it is.

Now... if it's not the heater pipe nor the actuator... then it's a bad heater core. Probably plugged up. You *may* can flush the coolant system and get it cleared, but it's probably not going to work. You *may* can hook up a flush kit directly to the heater core, and flush it both ways a couple of times, and *maybe* that would work. You may also be able to rig up a way to blow some compressed air into the heater core, both ways, a couple of times to see if that can't clear it up.

If it's that in the first place, and it would work. I'm not sure on either. But I have to mention them.

If it's still a bad heater core, then the only thing left to do is replace it. Which, in Ford's opinion, means buying the *entire HVAC box* and swapping it out. They make it 'non serviceable.' Whether it's a heater core or an evaporator core, they want you to get an entire new box with all new cores and everything and swap it out.

Right.

This also requires you to get the A/C system siphoned of all its gases, then you can disconnect it and the heater and pull the box. Which also means the entire dash and steering column. All of it.

I love this design so much.

That all said, the box *can* be disassembled, new parts swapped in, and reassembled. I'll not link videos for it, because the only 'good' one regarding such a thing is not exactly un-filled with language inappropriate for virgin ears, if you will. You can find all these on YouTube by putting in the search '2010 mustang' and then adding 'Evaporator core' or 'blend door' or 'heater pipe'. For some reason the 2010 works where 2005 won't. But you can also try 2005. You may need to put 'GT' on there too, but probably not.

As far as what do on the box dis/reassembly, you have to drill out plastic spot welds/rivets, and separate the halves. It appears the heater core is a simpler process than the evaporator core. But in any event, you then reassemble the thing with sheet metal screws going in where the spot welds were.

I find the whole thing odious, to be honest, but Ford's gonna do what Ford's gonna do.

Oh, and for what this is worth: If you gotta get at those heater pipes/lines, I recommend taking the intake plenum off the engine. Which also means the fuel rail and injectors. Reason being that getting to those heater and A/C lines is going to be a *REAL* pill if you don't. It's not hard to take the intake/fuel system off, just make sure to tape/plug off the intake ports until it's time to put it back on, and it will make the work that much easier for anything to do with that heater core, whether flushing or removal.

Which I hope you don't have to do.
Hope that helps! I also hope it's just the blend door. And welcome to the forums, belatedly, but nonetheless!

Last edited by houtex; 2/29/20 at 03:55 PM.