2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Got In trouble with my fogs

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/06, 09:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by outdoorstom@January 17, 2006, 9:34 AM
I've gotta disagree with you on this one. He/she could look all they want and they wouldn't find anything wrong with the Stang. Sure, it'd be quicker and less hassle to just turn them off, but this one would be worth a small battle.
actually i'd agree because the next time they see you so say... tires spinning or something you got it right a ticket so just switch it for like 3mins
Old 1/17/06, 10:19 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always drive with the fog lights on at night. I only get flashed on darker roads. I show them the brights and they leave me alone.
Old 1/17/06, 12:27 PM
FR500 Member

honestly *knock on wood* i havent gotten pulled over and i dont recall being flashed
Old 1/17/06, 01:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by randyc415@January 17, 2006, 10:06 AM
I just don't want to be pulled over for my lights and get written up for no front plate. Need the front plate here in CA.
I'm in the same boat, since I illegally do not have a front plate, I try not to push my luch too bad by driving with the fogs/driving lights on.
Old 1/17/06, 01:20 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Driving a $25K car and not getting attention is a beatch. I support those who drive with the fog lamps on specially on lonely two lane roads. If the oncoming driver gets blinded so be it. Next time he'll know its a Mustang and he better give the thumps up.

Because, hey, what's life without a little head on collision every now and then.

Keep on trucking, boys!

Old 1/17/06, 01:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Pitch Black@January 17, 2006, 10:26 AM
actually i'd agree because the next time they see you so say... tires spinning or something you got it right a ticket so just switch it for like 3mins
Let me make sure I understand this logic.....if I turn them off when asked, I can do burnouts and get away with them? Sweet deal!
Old 1/17/06, 01:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Getting into a exquisite feeling release of liquid waste product match with someone who has an authority complex nets you no benefit. You're not going to "fix" them by pointing out they are wrong, whether or not they manufacture some other reason to ticket you. Pointless headbutting.

I tend to drive with just the headlights on until I get closer to home, cause I live out where there are no street lights and the driving lights really help out. They illuminate the side of the road better without blinding others. I get flashed occasionally and if the person is actually interested in reminding me that my brights might be on, they usually flash with plenty of time for me to let them know they are not on. However, I find that more and more people flash at the last moment, which seems more retaliatory than anything else. I guess that's just another example of something you can't fix in someone else.
Old 1/17/06, 03:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Me too...I get flashed "all the time". But not in the city, only on dark two lane roads which is what I'm driving on most of the time. And the 14-15 hours of darkness this time of year sure doesn't help. I've pretty much just started ignoring them.
Old 1/17/06, 04:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine are tinted yellow, never been flashed!
Old 1/17/06, 05:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I drive with the fog lights on and had no problems being flashed when they were tinted yellow, but I had the yellow removed and I get flashed all of the time now.

Not sure that I would enter the above mentioned contest with LEO ( although I would want to ) as in the long run, it will not help you and might hurt you. Thanks for the concern officer....have a nice day
Old 1/17/06, 05:39 PM
Bullitt Member

In Minnesota - Fog and Driving Lights fall under the heading of Auxilliary Lighting. According to the law here, you must observe the same law that regulates the use of High Beams. That is that you must dim your high beams when on-coming traffic is within something like 500' (I don't remember the precise footage) and that you must dim your lights when approaching any operator manned booth or station such as toll booth, bridge control booth or Customs station.

That said - if I get flashed with my fogs on, I try to not be a dink and flash them back. I turn them off for a moment and then back on if I need them. Afterall - the person flashing you may be doing it not to be a pain in your hiney but to let you know that the glare of your lights may truly be a problem for them..

Also - There was a case here a couple of years ago where a car was driving with it's high-beams on. When someone flashed their high-beams back at them - the thug in the first car would open fire with a gun! They never caught the jerk but there were a couple of people seriously hurt - thank God no one was killed. You never know what sort of nut cases you are going to run into out there...
Old 1/17/06, 06:49 PM
Cobra R Member

If you are coordinated enough to alternate your fogs and regular lights on and off, they have a wig-wag effect like police cars... Not that I have ever tried.

Old 1/17/06, 07:03 PM
GTR Member

never been flashed...by a dude..thank god :shock:
Old 1/17/06, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I must confess here that when I first got my stang, I flashed brights at an oncoming car....which turned out to be a GT with his fogs on. I'm so ashamed.
Now I drive with mine on too. They really aren't that glaringly bright.
Old 1/17/06, 08:58 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Originally posted by Big-Foot@January 17, 2006, 7:42 PM
Also - There was a case here a couple of years ago where a car was driving with it's high-beams on. When someone flashed their high-beams back at them - the thug in the first car would open fire with a gun! They never caught the jerk but there were a couple of people seriously hurt - thank God no one was killed. You never know what sort of nut cases you are going to run into out there...
Fight crime

Shoot Back
Old 1/17/06, 11:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

You guys want to lay down and follow a nonexistant law, that's fine, but don't expect me (a law abiding citizen, no tickets, no nothing) to follow your lead. I see no need to "get on a cop's good side" by just agreeing with anything he/she says. Do you know what the chances are of being caught by the SAME cop in NJ, then having the cop actually REMEMBER you turned off your fogs for him/her, and THEN having that small act of compliance actually infulence his/her decision on whether or not to write a 20+ MPH speeding ticket is!? Almost zero, man. If you want to hinder an officer's ability to ticket you, purchase a quality radar detector and a quality laser jammer, get a police scanner, and/or get a PBA card. DO NOT rely on the LEO's good nature.

I'm not saying to be rude to the officer (they are, after all, just doing their job), but if I've poltiely explained/demonstrated my light system and the officer is still obstinant, then I have every reason to defend my rights. I paid $25k+ for this car, the LEO didn't. It is well within my state's rights to have my fogs and headlights on and I intend to exercise that right. I enjoy the look and increased visibility. No LEO is going to stop me from exercising my rights simply because they're having a bad day.

I've passed by plenty of GTs with fogs/headlights on. I don't find them blinding or glaring in the least. I just think people assume (read making an hiney out of) you have your brights on because it's an unusual pattern of lights. Then, when a LEO who's egotistical pulls you over for it, they don't like finding out they're 100% wrong so they harass you for it.
Old 1/17/06, 11:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by OBleedingMe@January 18, 2006, 1:28 AM
You guys want to lay down and follow a nonexistant law, that's fine, but don't expect me (a law abiding citizen, no tickets, no nothing) to follow your lead. I see no need to "get on a cop's good side" by just agreeing with anything he/she says. Do you know what the chances are of being caught by the SAME cop in NJ, then having the cop actually REMEMBER you turned off your fogs for him/her, and THEN having that small act of compliance actually infulence his/her decision on whether or not to write a 20+ MPH speeding ticket is!? Almost zero, man. If you want to hinder an officer's ability to ticket you, purchase a quality radar detector and a quality laser jammer, get a police scanner, and/or get a PBA card. DO NOT rely on the LEO's good nature.

I'm not saying to be rude to the officer (they are, after all, just doing their job), but if I've poltiely explained/demonstrated my light system and the officer is still obstinant, then I have every reason to defend my rights. I paid $25k+ for this car, the LEO didn't. It is well within my state's rights to have my fogs and headlights on and I intend to exercise that right. I enjoy the look and increased visibility. No LEO is going to stop me from exercising my rights simply because they're having a bad day.

I've passed by plenty of GTs with fogs/headlights on. I don't find them blinding or glaring in the least. I just think people assume (read making an hiney out of) you have your brights on because it's an unusual pattern of lights. Then, when a LEO who's egotistical pulls you over for it, they don't like finding out they're 100% wrong so they harass you for it.
:cop2: wn3d:
Old 1/18/06, 04:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

These driving lights are for normal driving and they work pretty well in Fog. They are bright but they don't shine up into oncoming traffic, they shine down in front of the car. People who flash their lights at you are just being jerks. If there are laws out there restricting when we can use them then I think Ford would have said something in the manual. Maybe someone should investigate this because I want to use mine more but don't just because of ticking some jerk off. Too bad because they really work well out on a dark country road.
Old 1/18/06, 04:40 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts

You guys are hilarious. All the justifications, reasons, and excuses. The one I haven't yet seen is "I drive with the fog lamps on because I have no life and I want to be noticed".

Admit your sins ... R E P E N T ! ! !

Old 1/18/06, 10:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

I drive with my fogs on because they look good and improve visibility, ie like daytime running lights. I paid for my GT and it has fogs, I'm going to use them. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Got In trouble with my fogs