2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Got OWNED by a Mitsubishi Galant ?

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/07, 10:21 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica
OK, someone jumped on my for trying to compare a 330i Coupe (300HP) to the Stang. I still think it would be interesting (stock vs. stock) in the 1/4 mile, then in twisties. Then add a $1500 mod budget and re-race. Which do you think would win?

i would go with the 335i. 1500 could do some computer work, and possibly bigger turbos.
Old 2/20/07, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cheese302
i would go with the 335i. 1500 could do some computer work, and possibly bigger turbos.
So the reason i am asking about the Stang vs. the 335i is because i was faced with that exact choice and went with the stang. My last car was a 540i Sport 6-Speed, which was very quick. I've always wanted a Mustang, and have no regrets whatsoever. I love this car. For the next one, I'll look for a bit more performance and probably go to the BMW.
Old 2/20/07, 11:15 AM
GT Member

Wow, amazing how quickly this thread turns into whos Phalus is bigger.
That's funny. Sometimes I think it's why most people are on these forums to begin with. All you have to do is find out that his Barbie's mustang was a different color than your Barbie's mustang, and it's on - out comes the tape measure.

I get the biggest kick from the "value equation" people. I guess it is cheaper to take a 300 lb. woman on date than one who can bend down and put her own shoes on. But so what? These are vehicle forums, not a economics debate.

Which vehicle performs better? It's a simple question.
Old 2/20/07, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by mail906
These are vehicle forums, not a economics debate.

Which vehicle performs better? It's a simple question.
Well, with all due respect, that just your narrow view of the purpose of these forums but its not mine. I for one do want to discuss to economics of these cars, their color, their history, what people have done to them, likes, dislikes, etc. Performance is only one aspect but in my mind, is not all encompassing to the reasons why I hang out here. Just MHO.
Old 2/20/07, 11:33 AM
Cobra R Member

everyone has their reasons, i have mine as well. i am trying very hard not to get into forum fights now though. i would rtather just read on.

i am in a very stringent minority though that is i am one that likes all kinds of stuff, not just mustangs/ and or american cars.
Old 2/20/07, 11:41 AM
GT Member

i am in a very stringent minority though that is i am one that likes all kinds of stuff, not just mustangs/ and or american cars.
I with you there Joe. I simply appreciate good engineering / manufacture / design. When a foreign car company bests an American car company, I'm not happy about it but I don't hate or ignore the foreign vehicle.

And anybody who reads these forums, and who is honest with themselves, has to admit a blatant fact: Honda is the one that raised the bar. If it were not for Honda and their accomplishments beginning in the mid-to-late 1970's, we all still have 12 month / 12,000 mile warranties. They produced a superior vehicle and forced everyone else to follow along. Like it or not, it's fact.
Old 2/20/07, 11:49 AM

totally agree..... i just love cars... all cars! Some I like to rip on :-) but i like to talk about cars and learn....
Old 2/20/07, 03:04 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mail906
And anybody who reads these forums, and who is honest with themselves, has to admit a blatant fact: Honda is the one that raised the bar. If it were not for Honda and their accomplishments beginning in the mid-to-late 1970's, we all still have 12 month / 12,000 mile warranties. They produced a superior vehicle and forced everyone else to follow along. Like it or not, it's fact.
You left out Toyota.
Old 2/20/07, 06:12 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

lol I dont care what the 335 and the S4 comes packing, the fact remains that in pure acceleration the mustang whomps on both and in that comparison those two are much closer to the less powered V6. As for twisties, if given the same skilled drivers Id say the stang still out does both, I took a Dinan M3 through some twisties and I was in the inside lane and had him by more than a car the entire way and I couldnt get on it as hard since I had the inside track and when coming out of turns I just took off on him, but then again I dont know if the driver was a complete noob or not; my point simply being that if the GT stang can out do or hang with an M3 it would easily take the 335 and S4
Old 2/20/07, 06:15 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica
So the reason i am asking about the Stang vs. the 335i is because i was faced with that exact choice and went with the stang. My last car was a 540i Sport 6-Speed, which was very quick. I've always wanted a Mustang, and have no regrets whatsoever. I love this car. For the next one, I'll look for a bit more performance and probably go to the BMW.
I think you made a good choice, having driven both BMWs and several others and owned a few, the 3 series (and I am not starting this debate back up) while a good car in its own right falls way short when compared to the BMW standard set by the other cars in their lineup, the stang is IMO an all around better buy and car.
Old 2/20/07, 09:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rrobello
lol I dont care what the 335 and the S4 comes packing, the fact remains that in pure acceleration the mustang whomps on both and in that comparison those two are much closer to the less powered V6. As for twisties, if given the same skilled drivers Id say the stang still out does both, I took a Dinan M3 through some twisties and I was in the inside lane and had him by more than a car the entire way and I couldnt get on it as hard since I had the inside track and when coming out of turns I just took off on him, but then again I dont know if the driver was a complete noob or not; my point simply being that if the GT stang can out do or hang with an M3 it would easily take the 335 and S4
The older 330Ci was indeed more a match for the V6 Mustang in terms of acceleration, but the new 335i is another story. Road & Track tested one in the Mar 2007 issue, and it did 0-60 in 5.0 sec, and the 1/4 mile in 13.5 @ 104.5 mph. That's about a dead heat with a GT, and blows away the V6 Mustang, as far as I know.

This new BMW engine has the torque to match its horsepower: 300hp and 300lb-ft.

But on the other hand, you really shouldn't be comparing a Mustang GT to the BMW 335 in the first place, since the price of the 335 they tested in the magazine was $44K. And we all know if you put a couple $K in the Mustang, then it will certainly whomp the B.
Old 2/21/07, 03:35 AM
Closet American

I'm still waiting of that list of cars within $10K of the Mustang GT's price that can equal or beat a 4.9 second 0-60 time, stock...
Old 2/21/07, 03:43 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by wjones14
The older 330Ci was indeed more a match for the V6 Mustang in terms of acceleration, but the new 335i is another story. Road & Track tested one in the Mar 2007 issue, and it did 0-60 in 5.0 sec, and the 1/4 mile in 13.5 @ 104.5 mph. That's about a dead heat with a GT, and blows away the V6 Mustang, as far as I know.

This new BMW engine has the torque to match its horsepower: 300hp and 300lb-ft.
You're absolutely right about the NEW 335i with it's twin-turbo inline six. It will definitely challenge the Mustang GT. But here in Canada, by the time you fully option out a 335i, you're talking $67K...plus the additional luxury tax that's over and above regular applicable federal & provincial sales taxes.

For comparison sake: A fully loaded '07 GT 5MT coupe here in Canada can be had for $38,393 (including NAV). That's almost a $30K difference! Now, I'll admit a fully optioned 335i will have a lot more technology in it than the Stang...but $30K worth? I don't think so.
Old 2/21/07, 06:06 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
You're absolutely right about the NEW 335i with it's twin-turbo inline six. It will definitely challenge the Mustang GT. But here in Canada, by the time you fully option out a 335i, you're talking $67K...plus the additional luxury tax that's over and above regular applicable federal & provincial sales taxes.

For comparison sake: A fully loaded '07 GT 5MT coupe here in Canada can be had for $38,393 (including NAV). That's almost a $30K difference! Now, I'll admit a fully optioned 335i will have a lot more technology in it than the Stang...but $30K worth? I don't think so.
the 30k difference is def not worth it for the feel of a bmw. Bimmers are very nice cars, but not worth the price they ask you to pay. not even the m cars IMO.
Old 2/21/07, 07:14 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
I really wish they would price Canadian cars closer to the US cars considering our dollar is so close now.
Old 2/21/07, 08:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Mustang GT's are slow heavy pigs untill you put a blower on them. i wouldn't even race a Toyota Echo with my Mustang until I got a blower on it.........The new Camaro and Challenger are going to be kicking Mustangs all over the roads..........sorry
Old 2/21/07, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by black sunshine
Mustang GT's are slow heavy pigs untill you put a blower on them. i wouldn't even race a Toyota Echo with my Mustang until I got a blower on it.........The new Camaro and Challenger are going to be kicking Mustangs all over the roads..........sorry
I'm surprised black sunshine, but this sounds like a troll statement.

As numerous others have pointed out, the Mustang GT whomps up on ANYTHING within $10K of it's price. Stock. So what are you comparing it to when you say it's a "slow heavy pig?"
Old 2/21/07, 09:13 AM
Cobra R Member

As numerous others have pointed out, the Mustang GT whomps up on ANYTHING within $10K of it's price. Stock. So what are you comparing it to when you say it's a "slow heavy pig?"
Same thoughts here. I was thinking "troll" until I saw he has over 100 posts. And that Echo comment is just laughable. As far as the Camaro and Challenger, they aren't even made yet, and when they are, I guarantee that they will not be had for 26K.

Black Sunshine, please refrain from posting unless you actually have something constructive to add.
Old 2/21/07, 09:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Rebel73
Same thoughts here. I was thinking "troll" until I saw he has over 100 posts. And that Echo comment is just laughable. As far as the Camaro and Challenger, they aren't even made yet, and when they are, I guarantee that they will not be had for 26K.

Black Sunshine, please refrain from posting unless you actually have something constructive to add.
thanks guys, i was having a tough time thinking of a good way to write just what the two of you said.
Old 2/21/07, 04:02 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Boomer
I really wish they would price Canadian cars closer to the US cars considering our dollar is so close now.
WAS so close. We're back down to 0.85 again these days.

Quick Reply: Got OWNED by a Mitsubishi Galant ?