2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Got OWNED by a Mitsubishi Galant ?

Search this Thread

Old 2/18/07, 06:14 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got OWNED by a Mitsubishi Galant ?

Cruising down the road minding my own business. Out of nowhere on my drivers side is this older white with rust POS Galant. Guy looks at me and I wave him off. So he does this back and forth BS with me at my bumper. Finally I decide to just hammer it and lose him.

Well right after I go, and I mean I went! Just mashed it all the way to the floor and felt like I was moving pretty good. This guy just pulls away from me. SO I try and catch him and I couldn't? I don't think I could have caught him.

I thought I was driving a Mustang? Pretty sad day getting smoked by a rust bucket Galant. I guess we all need to be OWNED once in awhile.
Old 2/18/07, 06:30 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

do you drive an auto? and is it a V6? if not then you either put your foot on the wrong pedal or need to take the car in for service....lol
Old 2/18/07, 06:38 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by TUNGSTALLION
Cruising down the road minding my own business. Out of nowhere on my drivers side is this older white with rust POS Galant. Guy looks at me and I wave him off. So he does this back and forth BS with me at my bumper. Finally I decide to just hammer it and lose him.

Well right after I go, and I mean I went! Just mashed it all the way to the floor and felt like I was moving pretty good. This guy just pulls away from me. SO I try and catch him and I couldn't? I don't think I could have caught him.

I thought I was driving a Mustang? Pretty sad day getting smoked by a rust bucket Galant. I guess we all need to be OWNED once in awhile.
Just because he was a rust bucket, doesnt mean he didnt have 500+ HP on all 4 wheels...

That was a Galant VR4.. Good for 460RWHP+... Fully built they are 500AWHP+ and 1000AWTQ..

Know your enemy..

Dont feel bad, the RX7 and 350z got smoked by a Galant VR4 as well... LOL!!

Check youtube, and search for Galant VR4.
Old 2/18/07, 06:48 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by rrobello
do you drive an auto? and is it a V6? if not then you either put your foot on the wrong pedal or need to take the car in for service....lol

Yes I am a GT Auto. JLT and Dougs Race Tune.
Old 2/18/07, 06:51 PM
MSP
Banned

Here is another info link..

http://www.vtcar.com/rcramana.htm

Those cars are pretty much in the same class as a WRX, SRT4,EVO... Use caution.. They are all turbo'd...

Its not your fault.. They look like sleepers...

Dont get discouraged, just get blown to avoid these situations...
Old 2/18/07, 06:56 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Gotta give props to a guy with something like that....

I mean end of the day yeah...it's still a Galant...
but one heck of a fast one.

There's always someone faster.
Old 2/18/07, 06:57 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm surprised that with the Galant doing the back and forth thing, that you didn't hear the turbo spooling and/or the blow off valve.
Old 2/18/07, 06:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe it was Victor...

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mitsubishi-...slip-4385.html
Old 2/18/07, 07:03 PM

A buddy of mine drives a VR-4, He's done very little, in terms of mods for it, but he estimates 300+ h.p. and his car looks like a total sleeper.
Old 2/18/07, 07:14 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by DoctorQ

31psi on a stock motor is enough to make us all nervous!! LOL!

Next time I see one, I will comletely ignore him! LOL!

Well maybe not... I'll make him work for it atleast!
Old 2/18/07, 07:15 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
I'm surprised that with the Galant doing the back and forth thing, that you didn't hear the turbo spooling and/or the blow off valve.
I wasn't really paying attention to that. I was listening to music. Windows up. When he blew past me though it sounded like a Whistling Rocket!
Old 2/18/07, 07:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Found this about the Galant VR-4's

"The Galant VR-4 is equipped with the same high-performance powerplant found in Eclipse GSX: a 16-valve, double overhead-cam 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that features turbocharged and intercooled induction, electronic multipoint fuel injection, distributorless ignition, roller cam followers, hydraulic valve lash adjusters and Mitsubishi's patented Dual Engine Stabilizers™. [The engine designation is 4G63T -Ryan]
While the turbocharger and intercooler provide a pressurized and cooled air/fuel mixture, the four valves per cylinder combustion chamber design allows increased flow of engine gasses, resulting in a potent 195 hp at 6,000 rpm and 203 ft. lbs. of torque at 3,000 rpm. The Dual Engine Stabilizers™ spin parallel to the crankshaft and utilize counterweights to help offset vibrations commonly found in large displacement four-cylinder engines."

Nothing a V6 Mustang couldn't handle, unless there has been work done to it to up the boost on the turbo.
Old 2/18/07, 07:24 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by TUNGSTALLION
I wasn't really paying attention to that. I was listening to music. Windows up. When he blew past me though it sounded like a Whistling Rocket!
I think you did good Tungstallion! I see it like this.. You took one for the team, and sacrificed yourself.. You shared it with others, so that thousands can avoid the same fate...

It took courage to admit the defeat.. By doing so, you have brought to light a dangerous opponent for us all.. Even if blown, they could still be alittle trouble...

So I thank you for making us aware of this sleepy looking killer Galant!

So we all agree, if you see one and he is revving at you petend your talking on the phone, or too mature for street racing... LOL!!
Old 2/18/07, 07:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MSP
So we all agree, if you see one and he is revving at you petend your talking on the phone, or too mature for street racing... LOL!!

LMAO!
Old 2/18/07, 10:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Yeah even though no one, and I mean noone is too mature for a good blow bye on the highway
Old 2/18/07, 11:10 PM

See what I mean?

So I started a thread a while ago that my new 07 GT seemed slow. I think they really are slow. I wish someone would post a super specific guide on how to make the mustangs faster. My car is a 5 speed manual, v8 with a hurst shifter but everything else is stock, at this point. To be perfectly honest, I'm pretty gun shy about racing ANYONE at this point.
Old 2/18/07, 11:29 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica
So I started a thread a while ago that my new 07 GT seemed slow. I think they really are slow. I wish someone would post a super specific guide on how to make the mustangs faster. My car is a 5 speed manual, v8 with a hurst shifter but everything else is stock, at this point. To be perfectly honest, I'm pretty gun shy about racing ANYONE at this point.
The problem is Ford only gave the Mustang GT's 300HP... They should have been 375-385HP N/A...

Most imports these days boast 300-350HP..

Your only option is either NOS, or Forced induction... Either get one of those 2, or understand that the GT N/A cant just run around town trying to pull on things.. Especially, dont try and out run someone on the freeway bone stock..

Know your limits... Even pickup trucks these days can keep up with a GT on a roll.. Most Chevy trucks come with 5.4L motors.. If they dont have a camper on the back, they could conceivably pull on you on the freeway.. From a deadstop you would get him.. But on the freeway, your going to be a sitting duck in 4th gear with a peak TQ of 290 and peak RWHP below 300 as well..

I know its wrong, but thats why boost ws created.. To allow you to seperate yourself from the crowd...

The bottom line is, either get blown or just go get the groceries and go back home without looking for trouble..

This goes for V8's and V6's... We all must be carefull these days...
Old 2/19/07, 12:21 AM
Closet American

A 16-valve, double overhead-cam 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that features turbocharged and intercooled induction, electronic multipoint fuel injection, distributorless ignition, roller cam followers, hydraulic valve lash adjusters and Mitsubishi's patented Dual Engine Stabilizers™.

Stock vs. stock, sorry...there's no bloody way. That Galant must have been hopped up.

But as others have said, know your enemy.
Old 2/19/07, 12:31 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by MSP
The problem is Ford only gave the Mustang GT's 300HP... They should have been 375-385HP N/A...

Most imports these days boast 300-350HP..

Your only option is either NOS, or Forced induction... Either get one of those 2, or understand that the GT N/A cant just run around town trying to pull on things.. Especially, dont try and out run someone on the freeway bone stock..

Know your limits... Even pickup trucks these days can keep up with a GT on a roll.. Most Chevy trucks come with 5.4L motors.. If they dont have a camper on the back, they could conceivably pull on you on the freeway.. From a deadstop you would get him.. But on the freeway, your going to be a sitting duck in 4th gear with a peak TQ of 290 and peak RWHP below 300 as well..

I know its wrong, but thats why boost ws created.. To allow you to seperate yourself from the crowd...

The bottom line is, either get blown or just go get the groceries and go back home without looking for trouble..

This goes for V8's and V6's... We all must be carefull these days...
I only half agree with this. It's true that there are import cars that boast 300+ horsepower, but to say "most" is erroneous. "Most" of those imports are using 6 cylinder engines whose torque numbers (the number that REALLY matters) are well below 320.

Most Chevy trucks come with 5.4L motors.
They also come with a lot more weight and completely different gearing ratios. You should be able to beat one of those easily.

The facts are that the new Stang is a five second car, bone stock. Most vehicles out there today are not. Certainly, there are more and more appearing on the scene, but our Stangs straight out of the box are probably faster than 75 - 80% of the cars on the road, at least in 0-60 times.

Also, the Mustang is underrated and putting out about 312 to 315 HP stock. Remember, too, that several people on here are seeing 340 + HP and 350 ft lbs of torque just with a CAI & a good custom tune, and getting 0-60 times of around 4.8 seconds. Most stock vehicles can't hit 60 in 4.8 seconds.
Old 2/19/07, 01:12 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

I agree with BC_Shelby. Most Japanese cars are no where near as quick as the Mustang GTs and those that come close are not NA, meaning that there isnt much more to do to those cars to make them much faster (with few exceptions that come with forged internals and even then once you hit a certain HP they become useless as a daily driver and suddenly need a lot more mods to survive even on a track before they start breaking down in other ways, whereas the GTs can easily be ran daily between 500-600HP without much work) and for European cars, again not many that can compete, that is not without spending a good deal more on initial purchase. If you are having trouble making your car go fast and you arent experiencing mechanical problems with it (meaning its not the cars fault) then I seriously recommend practicing how to drive it. I am not trying to be a jackarse but in all reality a good driver can make the difference between losing to a Galant and hanging or beating a Porsche. Go find a 1/4 mile track that you can take the time to get real good at knowing your car, practice getting it to launch nice and hard off the line and getting through those gears smoothly and at the correct RPMs. If you do that you will notice your times quickly getting better after only a few runs and with the more you practice the faster your car will go. I know people that cant make a vette beat me off the line if their lives depended on it, then I also know those that started out like that and then after time have managed to shave a good second or more off their times with the same exact car they started with. If you are losing to a lot of cars, then just maybe its not the car!

Quick Reply: Got OWNED by a Mitsubishi Galant ?