2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Giving up..Stang to become a :"Beater"

Search this Thread

Old 9/6/08, 03:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's an option...sell it to someone who'll care for it, and use the money to buy an actual beater.
Old 9/6/08, 07:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Similar situation, this is what I did.....

My '99 got a nasty ding on the fender (got a little too aggressive on the highway one day....doh!), and I didn't have the spare cash to fix it right away, and it was almost 10 years old with 150K miles on it. Then, I got rear ended and the bumper was messed up too, so when I finally got enough cash to fix the body....

I bought a brand new 2008 GT! The '99 is now my winter car.

So.....maybe this is your opportunity to add an '09 or '10 and drive the '07 everyday.

All things considered, it ended up being a win-win. I get to keep my '08 out of the winter elements and baby it, and still get to drive a Mustang all year around.
Old 9/7/08, 10:00 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't know exactly what the OP was referring to by 'beater' but maybe he just means he isn't going to treat it like a show car anymore. I really don't see a problem with owning a Mustang that may show some wear and tear from the rigors of being a daily driver. The way I see it they were made to be driven, not put in a museum.

That said, why not make it into a sleeper? I was at my local speed shop a couple of months ago and there was a pretty beat looking IROC sitting on the dyno with the hood up. I started chuckling to myself as I walked around, expecting to see a 305/4bbl. Turns out it had a twin-turbo 350 crate motor and put a little over 600 horse to the wheels. Sure fooled me.
Old 9/11/08, 04:19 PM
GT Member

Well, for all of you who "cared" I got another estimate....down to $950.00, and he does not want to replace the fender. Better yet, he does a lot of restorations of classics...a good buddy of mine has been very pleased with his work. Sooo, feeling a bit better, and oddly, have just sort of gotten used to the damage and the fact I scraped the hell out of the front end. I'll get things fixed in the next few weeks, time permitting.
Old 9/18/08, 11:58 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put the money back into the car man, you won't be disappointed and you'll feel a lot better about it later!
Old 9/18/08, 12:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
if you invest that 950 in corn products you can double it in no time
Old 9/19/08, 12:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Paris MkVI
Why does a daily driver and a beater have to be synonymous?

I've been enjoying mine every day since we bought it. - September 7, 2005.

I won't let mine go one day saying, "Man I wish I had enjoyed more fun with that car!"

It's waiting for me outside - right now. And we're going places today with the top down!
Paris, you hit the nail right on the head! I've had my Pony since August 13, 2005, and 52000 miles later she still brings a big grin to my face every time I turn the key!!

My 2002 was a garage queen. (the one I traded in for my current Pony). I bought this one to DRIVE! And I will drive this Pony until the wheels fall off!!!

So what if you clocked the fender. Get a new one, repaint your Pony and you are as good as new. We've all had battle damage (rear quarter panel, bumper, and front bumper damage here) but yet the Pony survives to fight another day!

I'd much rather proudly drive my Stang places rather than have her hiding in the garage while I commute in some crappy Honda during the week. Ugh.
Old 9/19/08, 03:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

I had 3 garaged Mustangs a black 05 GT - 2,500 miles, black 06 GT 6,000 miles, 07 Orange only 800 miles, Now 07 GT/CS 13 months and 32,000 miles. My car has been a good friend.
Old 9/20/08, 10:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

You either love yer car, a true 'Stanger....or yer just another driver.
Old 9/21/08, 01:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
My car got keyed while I was at the movies a couple of weeks ago. It was keyed down the entire passenger side and hood. It seems like the more you care about a car, the more damage will happen to it. If I drove a beater, it would never get damaged. A $500 deductible later and my car is back to normal. It like those @#@$ that keyed my car mugged me and took $500 out of my wallet...

But I'm not going to let those jealous #$#%@s win. I'm going to drive my car every day just like I have since I first bought and enjoy it. I've earned it. Don't get discouraged.
Go* **** it man, that sucks so bad. The people that do that kind of completely irresponsible horse crap should be shot without any looking back.

Sorry about the $500 and glad you put her back together.
Old 9/21/08, 02:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I say fix that car and it sounds like you are so, good deal.
Old 9/21/08, 08:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Arrow
You either love yer car, a true 'Stanger....or yer just another driver.
Amen Brother!

Old 9/21/08, 09:16 PM
Cobra Member

I'll give you the $1400 and take the car off your hands.
Old 9/21/08, 10:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow, so many people are so harsh! I'm in agreement with many others in the thread, a DD and a beater aren't the same thing. And it seemed like your original post sounded like you'd given up on the car. Current model cars are classics that haven't aged yet... Anyway, if you wanted a collectible, I'd hazard to say you wouldn't be driving this anyway, so I doubt that was on your mind from square one.

You have a really nice car built up, glad to see you aren't throwing out the baby with the bathwater . Even if you have to wait a little while to act on the estimates, I think it'd be a shame to abandon the idea of a nicely built car just because you're sick of throwing money at it or you can't throw money at it. To me, it would just mean I'd be waiting impatiently to get it fixed.

And no matter what anyone says to me, I know for a fact that the lines and drivetrain on an S197 are good enough that they are going to be classic and desirable later.
Old 9/23/08, 05:22 AM
V6 Member

I know exactly how he's feeling - every time I banged up a car I would almost walk away from it in disgust...took me a while to figure out that it wasn't the car I was mad at but myself for making(usually) such a stupid driving mistake. Every time I'd look at the damage and just hate what it remided me of. And I'm only talking about scraped fenders and cracked side mirrors here - nothing major...

Walk away, have a beer or three, then in a couple of weeks go back look at the damage, realise that it's fixable and you'll feel better about it all...

See? You've had a lower quote for the damage and already it's not so bad as you first thought.
It's like arguing with the wife (or girlfriend) for a while it seems like it's all over...then you get to make-up...
Trust me on this...

People here are passionate about their Mustangs and like any passion, emotions run high at times...take it on the chin - we all just want what's best for you and the car.
Old 9/23/08, 05:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Arkady001
I know exactly how he's feeling - every time I banged up a car I would almost walk away from it in disgust...took me a while to figure out that it wasn't the car I was mad at but myself for making(usually) such a stupid driving mistake. Every time I'd look at the damage and just hate what it remided me of. And I'm only talking about scraped fenders and cracked side mirrors here - nothing major...

Walk away, have a beer or three, then in a couple of weeks go back look at the damage, realise that it's fixable and you'll feel better about it all...

See? You've had a lower quote for the damage and already it's not so bad as you first thought.
It's like arguing with the wife (or girlfriend) for a while it seems like it's all over...then you get to make-up...
Trust me on this...

People here are passionate about their Mustangs and like any passion, emotions run high at times...take it on the chin - we all just want what's best for you and the car.

...Plus, even with a ding, a Mustang is far better than any other vehicle on the road.
Old 9/26/08, 02:48 PM
Bullitt Member

no way does that turn your stang into a beater....if anything it gives you a chance to put on a better looking fascia and hood...yes its expensive but it will make your car look like a brand new suped up beast!!!!
Old 9/29/08, 03:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Blitz
Well, for all of you who "cared" I got another estimate....down to $950.00, and he does not want to replace the fender. Better yet, he does a lot of restorations of classics...a good buddy of mine has been very pleased with his work. Sooo, feeling a bit better, and oddly, have just sort of gotten used to the damage and the fact I scraped the hell out of the front end. I'll get things fixed in the next few weeks, time permitting.
Makes sense. I think you just suffered from a little post-damage "aw-screw-it" that we all feel after a little bender. But once it's fixed, you'll feel right as rain.
Old 9/30/08, 01:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

My 05 GT is a DD but not a beater even after $9000 worth of damage done to it (not my fault).

You have downgraded your car to a beater after less than $2000 worth of damage (mostly cosmetic) ????

A S197 Mustang should not be garage queen. It's not a collectible like a '67 Shelby and is unlikely to become one.

It's also not a rare exotic like a Porsche Carrera GT (good luck finding one).

It terms of price, it's not even that expensive compared to other cars such as a BMW M3/M5.

However, it's not a beater.
Old 10/1/08, 10:44 AM
Cobra Member

I guess it just depends on the person. I have a 07 gt/cs and i loved it but i recently bought a 93 notch and i baby that thing so much. i now use the s197 all the time and only take out the notch maybe once a week if that. In the end its just a car,but not my notch.... Thats special.

Last edited by touring; 10/1/08 at 10:45 AM.