2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Giving Up

Search this Thread

Old 5/20/05, 09:00 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well...my wife is really pressuring me to get our Civic traded in on something else due to the milage. So...I'm gonna start looking at other vehicles this week. It will not be a Ford.

But let me give you some context:

In the calendar year of 2004 my extended family (about 6 different families) purchased 12 Fords from a single dealer. In addition to that my father-in-law has purchased a new truck this year, my wife purchased a Mercury Mountaineer last year and traded it in on a Expedition this year. I sold my 78 Mustang this year to get something else (not a car). So, I wanted to get a new Mustang.

So, in a year and a half that is 15 New Ford vehicles from my extended family. I know it doesn't compare to fleet purchases for companies but that's some serious family loyalty.

After all that I can't even get a Vehicle ordered exactly the way I want it. You know, if this was a GT40 I could understand. But this is a vehicle that costs under $30k retail. It's not some rare bird. It's a Mustang which I THOUGHT was a car that the average guy could get. Not anymore.

I have called Ford Customer Relations and let them know that I'm not going to get a Ford vehicle as my next one due to this issue. They were very nice but honestly there is nothing they can do but put my complaint in the Database where it can get it lost in the 1s and 0s.

It's been fun guys.
Old 5/20/05, 09:10 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its a shame that Ford dealers are losing lifelong customers because they want to make money on the hot new product.

Hope you buy a new Mustang sooner or later
Old 5/20/05, 09:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote: "It's not some rare bird".

By the sounds of it, the GT could almost be considered a "rare horse", as they are, overall, very tough to find. I know they are supposed to make about 170,000 of them (GT and V-6), but I don't see it. From the VIN's I've seen so far, they are just around 100,000 built so far and many dealers have stopped taking orders.

If they do make 170,000, they must be filling back orders. I had a co-worker tell me the other day "I'm going to go down to the dealership and pick out an 05GT. But I don't know what color I want." I chuckled and told her good luck. Can you imagine - going down to a dealership and actually having the ability to look and choose? I'll bet there was not one dealership in the entire United States of America that had on GT in every color available on their lot at one time. However, that would have been freeking cool!
Old 5/20/05, 09:16 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't blame you at all. Decent competitors are starting to surface. You can get a new 6-speed 06' Eclipse GT for less than 27k fully loaded with seat/mirror heaters, 650 watt stereo system, sunroof, 18" wheels, leather, and all the goodies. So it's half a second slower to 60 than a Mustang GT and is FWD, but if you can live with that it's pretty nice.
Old 5/20/05, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by Xader Vartec@May 20, 2005, 9:03 AM
Well...my wife is really pressuring me to get our Civic traded in on something else due to the milage. So...I'm gonna start looking at other vehicles this week. It will not be a Ford.

But let me give you some context:

In the calendar year of 2004 my extended family (about 6 different families) purchased 12 Fords from a single dealer. In addition to that my father-in-law has purchased a new truck this year, my wife purchased a Mercury Mountaineer last year and traded it in on a Expedition this year. I sold my 78 Mustang this year to get something else (not a car). So, I wanted to get a new Mustang.

So, in a year and a half that is 15 New Ford vehicles from my extended family. I know it doesn't compare to fleet purchases for companies but that's some serious family loyalty.

After all that I can't even get a Vehicle ordered exactly the way I want it. You know, if this was a GT40 I could understand. But this is a vehicle that costs under $30k retail. It's not some rare bird. It's a Mustang which I THOUGHT was a car that the average guy could get. Not anymore.

I have called Ford Customer Relations and let them know that I'm not going to get a Ford vehicle as my next one due to this issue. They were very nice but honestly there is nothing they can do but put my complaint in the Database where it can get it lost in the 1s and 0s.

It's been fun guys.

My family has done a lot of business with Ford as well, I really like Fords, but the Mustang is not about just being a Ford. The Mustang is a legend and it has a great history. I wish that all Mustang owners had an appreciation for the history of the car. Unfortunately there are quite a few that just think it's cool. It is an affordable car, but it is very hot, so of course it's not that easy to get RIGHT NOW. It will get better as the newness wears off. If you are having trouble getting exactly what you want, maybe you should try a different dealer. Find someone willing to really work with you. If you really wanted a Mustang, you'd hang in there!
Old 5/20/05, 09:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Chin up soldier!!

You want a Mustang, you should continue searching for it. Plus, haven't you heard that ole saying, "Somethings are just worth waiting for?"

Think of how you would feel driving past an 05 Mustang when you're in a different new car You would prob only regret it if you get another style of car ---

Old 5/20/05, 09:23 AM
Bullitt Member

AU Grad, Good one

I know, but I just had to address -

Quote: Warning! You want a warning? O.K. I'm warning you not to do that again or I'll give you another ticket!"-

"The answer to this last question will determine whether you are drunk or not. Was Mickey Mouse a cat or a dog?"

"If you run, you'll only go to jail tired!"-
Old 5/20/05, 09:25 AM

Thanks!
I'm a cop (with a hot car)!
Old 5/20/05, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Quote: "6-speed 06' Eclipse GT for less than 27k fully loaded with seat/mirror heaters, 650 watt stereo system, sunroof, 18" wheels, leather, and all the goodies. So it's half a second slower to 60 than a Mustang GT and is FWD, but if you can live with that it's pretty nice."

IMO - I COULD NOT live with the Mitusubishi 06 Eclipse GT. Must have Stang!!!!!!!!!!
Old 5/20/05, 10:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by AUGrad@May 20, 2005, 7:22 AM
If you really wanted a Mustang, you'd hang in there!
.....That sums it up. I read somewhere that 1 out of every 2 sports cars being sold in America right now is a Mustang.
Old 5/20/05, 10:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Quote: "The answer to this last question will determine whether you are drunk or not. Was Mickey Mouse a cat or a dog?"

Who hiccup is hiccup Mickey?
Old 5/20/05, 10:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

This seems like a case of the customer blaming Ford for something the dealer should be getting the heat for. It is a bad situation but it is the dealer that isn't allowing you to order the Pony how you want it not Ford. I'm not trying to flame but there is a distinct difference between the dealer screwing with and Ford screwing with you.

99% of all the "Ford stinks because of..." threads are because the dealer hosed them and not Ford. Ford needs to start paying more attention to the dealers it does business with if anything.
Old 5/20/05, 11:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

if you go out and get another car, i guarantee your new msutang will come in 1 day later.
Old 5/20/05, 11:08 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by 05stangster@May 20, 2005, 9:26 AM
"The answer to this last question will determine whether you are drunk or not. Was Mickey Mouse a cat or a dog?"

"If you run, you'll only go to jail tired!"-

I only find that so funny because I've gotten asked that question before!!!

(by a friend that pulled me over to mess with me and I answered it wrong cause I wanted to be frisked but that's another story entirely... )

Oh andn I have to add... if you're truly a Mustang fan, you will regret getting something else.
Old 5/20/05, 11:08 AM
Bullitt Member

... and then you'll regret not waiting or looking hard enough ...
Old 5/20/05, 11:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well I understand the damand is hot and they didnt anticipate such a demand but the crappy thing is that certain dealers have alot on the lot in places like Florida for stock and places like Roush (however you spell it) have a ton on their lot for conversions. I know they are big dealers and all but in this special case Ford should use common sense and change the rules until things get back to normal. It wont happen and such is life but unfortunately they lose valueable customers and families because of it.
Old 5/20/05, 11:21 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The dealership that I have always done business with wouldn't honour the xplan. My dad, mom , uncle and neighbour also had purchased vehicles within the 2 months prior to me ordering a stang. Did I pout, no. I just looked for a different dealer and sure enough, got the xplan. So, if you really want a mustang you would buy one. My guess, no don't flame me, is you really don't want one that bad since you are upset that the dealer will not cut you a break. The car is hard to find these days but why do you think you can't order what you want? I have never heard of FORD not accepting orders unless you want something that is not even possible such as manual crank windows. I say go to a different dealer and place your order.
Old 5/20/05, 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

You're better of just buying off the lot than waiting for these orders. I guarantee there is a mustang close to or exactly like what your order is. You just have to find them. Believe it or not I went past a dealer a couple days ago about an hour from my house that had a bunch of gts and v6s verts and coupes.

Buy one and be done with it. Then you can enjoy the car all summer long instead of waiting or buying another type of car which you'll regret.

BTW my order which I ordered the second week of January is still C/U. Glad I didn't wait. I have had mine about 2 months now.
Old 5/20/05, 11:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Webba@May 20, 2005, 12:17 PM
Well I understand the damand is hot and they didnt anticipate such a demand...
Great point. Ford did not anticipate the incredible demand for the car. The question is, now that they KNOW, how many '06 Mustangs will be built? Will they learn from their mistake??? It's only hurting their wallet if they don't, and that's the strongest incentive!

I heard the number of Mustangs to be built in '05 was 192k, but I haven't heard of any other plants being brought online to build the '06 'stang. So, how many can they make in Michigan with just one plant?

Are we going to have to go through this ordeal again in '06? :bang:
Old 5/20/05, 11:40 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 94tbird@May 20, 2005, 11:04 AM
if you go out and get another car, i guarantee your new msutang will come in 1 day later.
Very nice! A new corollary to Murphy's Law.

"The Mustang you ordered will arrive at the dealer exactly one minute after you have committed to the purchase of another car."

Quick Reply: Giving Up