2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting jerked around by the Ford dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/06, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting jerked around by the Ford dealerships

I've been all set to purchase/order my new 'stang (first domestic, crazy!) this past weekm with an eye towards today being the "final" day of the ford family pricing event in Canada. I can't afford this car at regular MSRP, so this is big. I had been working on a deal through one Ford dealership for weeks that fell through when I caught the service manager in a lie about trade-in value for my car (he was trying to thoroughly screw me).

A few other dealerships... just bad experience. I'm a salesman's worst nightmare... I know more about the car and its available options, features, etc, and how the **** thing actually runs than any of them. Needless to say, too much bull**** and not enough action from some of these places and I was gone.

Finally, and this is funny... the guy who owns the Honda dealership where I got my Civic also owns a Ford dealership in another city... and I was told I could order my 'stang through them. Well, this is great, I thought! I get the car I want, but I get to give the guys I like (this is a GREAT dealership, rare as hell) my business.

So, we go through the whole dance, and it finally comes down to today. Then they call me and tell me that Ford says it is too late for the deal because they can't locate the exact vehicle for me and register a VIN before the end of the night. WTF? I thought I could order one to my specs... not have to have people locate it?! Now, I trust these salespeople through London Honda... they've done more than I can explain in a few sentences to legitimately earn my trust. So when they say they called multiple dealerships to figure this out, I believe them.

Anyhow, as it stands now, they also told me that despite the Ford Family Pricing event being "officially" over, they can and will still get me the car I want for the price I was expecting, so long as I'm not in a rush. This suits me, as I wasn't prepared to take delivery of the car until spring anyway (I'm gone from Nov to mid-Feb).

So, long story short: I'll still get the car I want at the price I'm expecting, but I'll have to wait a little bit longer until it's official and the deal is sealed
Old 8/31/06, 05:20 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Well, I hope you do get the car!

I also was under the impression that you would be able to order it anyway you want it, then Ford would build it, and then send it over
Old 8/31/06, 06:41 PM
V6 Member

I think someone is still blowing smoke up your ***. Ford Family Pricing was only on remaining 06's in stock or arriving. Family Pricing does not exist on 07's. Good luck!
Old 8/31/06, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by AB05GT
I think someone is still blowing smoke up your ***. Ford Family Pricing was only on remaining 06's in stock or arriving. Family Pricing does not exist on 07's. Good luck!
According to the Ford Canada web site the family pricing DID exist on 07s. Anyhow, I trust my Honda connection, so when they say we'll get my car for family pricing even after the event, then I know we will. Otherwise, I just won't buy it.
Old 9/1/06, 12:03 AM
Bullitt Member

You've got it easy. A lot of us had to wait a very long time to get a new Mustang and didn't get any special deals.
Old 9/1/06, 05:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yea no offense but I dont understand the issue. You and the dealer waited until the last day of the deal and you dont even want the car until spring and it is barely September. Do I guess I am lost as to why you are upset?
Old 9/1/06, 06:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why are you talking with the "Service Manager" regarding Trade-In value? Also, be sure to read the rules regarding the program I am sure it says "Must be purchased from dealer stock" somewhere in there.
Old 9/1/06, 11:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like all your 'vast knowledge' is making your buying experience miserable on yourself. There is no 'lying' about trade in value, the price you are selling it to the dealership is RIGHT THERE ON THE CONTRACT YOU SIGN. In fact there is no such thing as a RIP OFF if YOU sign the paperwork. Duh. The most dishonest people in the car business by FAR are the customers. Don't trade your car in or sell it yourself it you don't like the price. Or just pay it off and keep it. Jeeze. You don't want your car anymore, what makes you think a dealer wants to get stuck with your econo civic either? Trade in a low milage Limited diesel Excursion and you will get top dollar.

So you probably want stupid high price a dealer to take in your old Honda at a Ford dealer and you want a brand new car given away and expect it to go smoothly.... And what's with the import versus domestic, Japanese car dealerships are the WORST places to buy anything from. Also, great idea on waiting till the last day of a sale. That worked out well. Who's making the purchase difficult mr car expert?

If you know so much about Fords, then how many possible engine, rear axle and transmission combinations are there on a E-550 cab chassis, and how many frame length options are there if you opt for a configuration for a cube body? and does the back window come standard for 07 or is it an option? Sometimes I forget...help me!
Old 9/1/06, 11:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Tiberius1701
Why are you talking with the "Service Manager" regarding Trade-In value? Also, be sure to read the rules regarding the program I am sure it says "Must be purchased from dealer stock" somewhere in there.
Im sure the expert read the plethora of disclaimers in the ad(I guarantee its in there), including the dates of the sale...
Old 9/1/06, 11:46 AM
GT Member

No, the smoke is up your *** and I can prove it - I have a new 2007 GT/CS purchased Aug 11 06 at Family Pricing price here in BC. The incentive applies to both 2006 and 2007 models purchased or ordered before Aug 31/06. Only a few trucks, and the Shelby GT500 and 1 or 2 were excluded.

No question about it.
Old 9/1/06, 11:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

It depends on the region what the incentives are(the program is not here) but it makes sense as 07 Escapes and Foci were included in sales because the MY started so early. Just like they retroed the extended warranties to some 2006 models.
Old 9/1/06, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by kevinb120
Sounds like all your 'vast knowledge' is making your buying experience miserable on yourself. There is no 'lying' about trade in value, the price you are selling it to the dealership is RIGHT THERE ON THE CONTRACT YOU SIGN. In fact there is no such thing as a RIP OFF if YOU sign the paperwork. Duh. The most dishonest people in the car business by FAR are the customers. Don't trade your car in or sell it yourself it you don't like the price. Or just pay it off and keep it. Jeeze. You don't want your car anymore, what makes you think a dealer wants to get stuck with your econo civic either? Trade in a low milage Limited diesel Excursion and you will get top dollar.

So you probably want stupid high price a dealer to take in your old Honda at a Ford dealer and you want a brand new car given away and expect it to go smoothly.... And what's with the import versus domestic, Japanese car dealerships are the WORST places to buy anything from. Also, great idea on waiting till the last day of a sale. That worked out well. Who's making the purchase difficult mr car expert?

If you know so much about Fords, then how many possible engine, rear axle and transmission combinations are there on a E-550 cab chassis, and how many frame length options are there if you opt for a configuration for a cube body? and does the back window come standard for 07 or is it an option? Sometimes I forget...help me!
Oookay, I'm detecting a LOT of anger here, and it's largely unnecessary. LEt me try and cover as many points as possible, in random order.

First off, the user name is just for fun. I like all cars.

2nd. If I said "service manager" then that was a mistake. I was dealing with both the salesman and the sales manager.

3rd. When at the Ford dealership and going through the motions for the trade in for my car, I had yet to sign anything. What was going on was they were telling me they could get "x" for my car, but then when the time CAME to sign, they said they called around to various Honda dealers and were only offered "x - 2000" . The ford manager told me he spoke to London Honda and they told him they had difficulties moving my model off the lots and a few were just sitting there, hence the lower price. I knew this to be b.s. based on my own conversations with that dealership, where I originally bought the car!

Let me make that perfectly clear to you. I never SIGNED anything, nor did I write anything of the sort in my previous post.

4. I never said I knew a lot about Fords. I said I tend to know a helluva lot more about the cars I'm interested in than the salesmen are, because they tend to view cars as mere appliances, and don't bother to learn about the nitty gritty. I CERTAINLY never implied I knew anything close about Fords as to what anyone else here might know. Where are you getting this?

5. My "old" Honda is an '03, low km (42700 km), and in this country has a killer resale. I can sell privately for a lot more than trade-in, yes, but with a trade in that means I only pay tax (14% in this province) on the difference, therefore the total numbers come out to be about the same either way.

6. As I specified in my original post, I had been working on this deal for weeks. I was well aware of the date, and I was doing everything possible to get it done beforehand. Have you never been in a situation where you try and get things done early, yet sometimes things still come down to the crunch? It's not a big deal, but I wasn't procrastinating.

7. I'm not willing to spend anything close to MSRP for this car, or nearly any other car, know why? Canadian auto-companies superficially jack up the prices. A GT in the US starts at 25k, and here it starts at 34k, but our dollar is 90 cents US! This isn't that large an offense, and other car companies are far worse (ahem, Subaru and Nissan Canada please stand up), but it's the principle. I'm all set to get a car through the US (know the paperwork, willing to deal with it), but when this family pricing event came up, it made things simple, as it put the price of the car where it originally should have been.

I hope that explains things somewhat. If there's something else you'd like to know, don't hesitate to ask me. Just quit with the assumptions, please.
Old 9/1/06, 12:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm just being cynical, if they went out and did an eval, worked a deal sheet with one price THEN changed it, I would just walk. I have never ever seen that happen at any of the 6 dealerships I have worked at though. Who offered the original price? Was it on a proposal in writing or was the salesperson playing around on KBB.com while you were waiting?(that's a huge no-no in the business) The service manager thing sounded very sketchy, there IS just a little bit of difference there.

Honda's and Toyota's are big headache's for dealers to take in because they have stupid-high book values and the retail resale is very high, so they take forever to sell on a used car lot. The vast majority of Japanese import trade-ins at a domestic dealer sit for 90+ days untill they get wholesaled at a loss unless you pay way under book for it. When someone is going to trade something such as a loaded 04 Accord you know already its going to be an issue. The Honda dealership can also simply put a buy figure on your civic and cut you a check for the vehicle if you agree, trade or no trade, as they have a market for them certified.

You are only eligible for the incentives available at time of pick-up/purchase of an ordered vehicle, even if you paid for it in full when you orded it. You can however get a contract written with the price negotiated already with a small deposit in most instances. Waiting until the last day of a factory incentive will leave you trapped making a rush decision.

So I am totally confused. Did you order a car? If the family price is simply X-plan, most dealers will negotiate a price there factory sale or no sale, they just don't get any re-imbursment spiff from Ford. I suspect the sale is the friends and family x-plan then. It gets very confusing when people post that an incentive is given when its a really just a discount or vice versa.
Old 9/2/06, 01:00 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been all through this, and that's NOT true. I spoke with the Sales Manager (been with Ford 29 years) at a dealership here in Vancouver, and you could certainly order an '07 under family pricing, PROVIDED the features you want exist in the computer's order code system. In my case, I couldn't order my '07 GT under family pricing because the forthcoming NAV system for the Stang (which I want), wasn't listed in the computer, so he had no way to punch in the correct code for it and build the car I wanted before the end of August.

Instead, he offered me the car at $500 over invoice when I'm ready to buy, wrote it down on his card, and told me to come back and see him as soon as the NAV becomes an orderable option.