Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Pedal Stuck at full acceleration!

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/05, 01:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by chers2031@September 22, 2005, 1:33 PM
Sorry... I suck at explanations. I kicked her into passing gear to pass a car. Was doing 40 mph when I punched her. (She's an automatic.) I had pressure on the pedal w/ it about 1/2 way to the floor but I wasnt going any further was planning to keep it steady at that pace until I got around the other vehicle. I had tons of room no need for a major jump. The pedal then actually left my foot and continued to the floor. I know it sounds INSANE! I feel like I've lost my mind just saying it! :scratch: But both times she's gotten stuck its been the same... its like something else is pushing the pedal on down and holding it there.
I don't mean to scare you, but HOLY SH**! That's really bad dude. Your pedal goes DOWN by itself? I'd get that thing changed or something fixed RIGHT NOW dude. OMG can you imagine driving somewhere with traffic, or even worse, pedestrians... :shock:
Old 9/22/05, 01:50 PM
Bullitt Member

When I first read about this, I immediately thought it sounded like the motor that controls the Throttle Body may have been the culprit, and your 2nd experience sounds the same as well, or at least, whatever controls it.

The only time I ever have the accelerator move out from under my foot is while it is in cruise control and it needs to downshift to take a big hill. Actually, that is in my 2004 Explorer 4x4 with V8, but it has the electronic throttle too.

I guess it's possible something in the cruise control system is malfunctioning, even if the cruise is not set.

Certainly not good. If the dealer has no resolve today, you may want to report it to the NHTSA in case this starts to become a common problem.
Old 9/22/05, 01:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by GhostGT@September 22, 2005, 1:41 PM
I don't mean to scare you, but HOLY SH**! That's really bad dude. Your pedal goes DOWN by itself? I'd get that thing changed or something fixed RIGHT NOW dude. OMG can you imagine driving somewhere with traffic, or even worse, pedestrians... :shock:
Is "dude" generic for both male and female? I'm old and don't know.
Old 9/22/05, 02:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by outdoorstom@September 22, 2005, 3:00 PM
Is "dude" generic for both male and female? I'm old and don't know.

LOl, thats funny how these cars bring young and old together, inexperienced to experienced. and dude is not gender specific.
Old 9/22/05, 02:11 PM
GT Member

ADRENALIN!!!!! THIS MAKES TWICE YOU"VE MOVED THIS THREAD ON ME YOU DORK!

No as Stoenr said... dude isn't gender specific but yes I'm a girl. hee hee

I hope they get it figured out this time! Its scary and potentially dangerous for sure!
Old 9/22/05, 03:45 PM
GT Member

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

They can't find a problem! He said he wants to keep it one more day and if he doesn't find anything he's gonna put a recorder on it that I'll have to activate next time it does it to me.
Old 9/22/05, 05:38 PM

After reading your post had to respond. I work on aircraft for a living and most systems are computer controled. That said they also have dual channels so if something goes wrong the system fails or won't operate, along with a warning msg. To save money Ford probally did'nt put dual channels in the Mustang, more than likely the main EEC controls cruise control functions and is telling the stepper motor at the gas pedal to go WOT or the stepper motor is failing. I'd suggest not driving the car at all until the dealer fixes it or even better suggest that the service manager drive it for a few days and let him/her experience total loss of control!!!

As we say on airplanes once is a fluke-twice you better fix the D*** thing!
Old 9/23/05, 01:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by outdoorstom+September 22, 2005, 2:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(outdoorstom @ September 22, 2005, 2:00 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Is "dude" generic for both male and female? I'm old and don't know.
[/b]

Originally posted by Stoenr@September 22, 2005, 2:03 PM
LOl, thats funny how these cars bring young and old together, inexperienced to experienced. and dude is not gender specific.
Haha seriously, I guess I sometimes assume im talking to 17 year olds like me all the time. It feels good to have older men and women in here, though.

<!--QuoteBegin-chers2031
@September 22, 2005, 2:14 PM
ADRENALIN!!!!! THIS MAKES TWICE YOU"VE MOVED THIS THREAD ON ME YOU DORK!
No as Stoenr said... dude isn't gender specific but yes I'm a girl. hee hee

I hope they get it figured out this time! Its scary and potentially dangerous for sure!
[/quote]

Sorry bout that! Even though dude isn't gender specific, its mainly used for guys. I don't feel right calling a girl a dude anyway...I'll rephrase...

OMG SWEETIE! THATS HORRIBLE! GET IT FIXED SOON!

Old 9/23/05, 06:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Another thread on this
Old 9/23/05, 08:00 AM
GT Member

^^^^ Yeah that one was around when I started this one about a month ago but it didn't seem to be a serious one. Was no personal experience of it and mainly veered toward the 04 recall.

Ok now Ghost... I'm older but not old.

Thanks for that information Jim! I'll mention that to the Service Manager and ask if he has considered such.
Old 9/23/05, 04:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That has happened to me as well, but in my old Audi.....twice. The floormat was the culprit in both situations. Glad your car....errrrrr......I mean you are OK.
Old 9/23/05, 07:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Did you have the cruise control on previously? Accidently hit "resume"?
Old 9/25/05, 07:44 PM
GT Member

Ever watched the movie "Christine?"
Old 9/27/05, 06:49 AM
Cobra Member

I think I read that Ford does have redundant systems on the throttle control to prevent this from happening. Most of the newer cars have electronic throttle, including Hondas, Toyotas, Corvettes, etc. I seriously hope Ford can fix the problem.
Old 7/29/18, 02:22 PM

Any ideas why it sticks

I took my 96 cobra 2012 coyote swap to the track last night and it got stuck. Im sure it was the floor mat but i have heard of this issue before but unfortunately i havent found any answers. Ended up flat spotting the hell out of my 2 front wheels. Now that i read this i wounder if it could have been the pedal after all... has anyone else ran into a sticky gas pedal at high rpm?

Last edited by Sean Pigford; 7/29/18 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Mis spelling
Old 7/31/18, 06:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
This has happened to me a time or two and as soon as I hit the brake pedal it released the pedal from being floored. Scary for sure. I figured I needed to clean the throttle body thinking it had some gunk build up in there. I've never looked into it.
Old 3/1/21, 12:15 PM

I'm having the same problem.... I'm trying to figure out what the hell it is. 2006 g

Originally Posted by chers2031
I did a quick search but didn't see anything that looked like anyone else has really had this problem. Only that there was a recall on 04 because of it. Yesterday I was cruising behind a truck pulling a trailer at 45 in a 55... first chance to pass comes up I nail the accelerator to the floor and fly by him. Few car lengths past, I let off the accelerator and pull back into the right lane... Accelerator stays to the floor. I freak... am hitting the brake w/ my left foot while kicking it w/ my right... nothing... speed passing 110 now... and the road ends in a mile. I'm thinking gawd do I have to throw it in neutral and try to shut it off or if it won't shut down... do I have to let her just blow the engine.... So I have her one more swift kick and she released. I pulled into the gas station to make sure it wasn't the floor mat or something that it could've got stuck under and there was no way from the position of the mats I don't think. :shock: I was shaking from head to toe... Got her home and haven't drove her since... guess I need to get her to the shop.
I'm having the same issues with my 2006 GT
Old 3/2/21, 09:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You'll need to clean the throttle body. You'll need to retrain the computer after that. You'll need to investigate possibly replacing the throttle body entirely, which will come with a new TPS and motor. Do NOT do the motor on the side, unless you can get an actual brand new Motorcraft one. You can maybe swap out the TPS, but it's likely not the issue.

If it's actually physically stuck, then the cleaning may free it up. If it's not, and the thing is doing it all by itself, then the motor's doing it uncommanded, or there's a computer calling for it (aka, it's messed up), the throttle pedal sensor itself is suspect, or the wiring is messed up. That's it. Nothing else.

As to how to figure out what it is... well, diagnostics of the wiring is the first thing I'd do, and you'll need the wiring diagram for that car. I'd suggest getting the actual manual, but you can head over here and see if you can figure out what you need:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40

It's for the '05, and yes, there's a couple of differences between our cars and the '05 (the thermostat is one of them, manual's completely wrong for the '06 and up) but it's close enough.

Hope that helps, and good luck!
Old 6/5/21, 11:32 PM

Well, glad I came across this thread. Im searching around for answers here with some issues I'm having and this is one of them.

So I've had my car for just a little over two years. Car sat for roughly 6 yrs before I bought it. It got moved around a little in the guys shop lot from time to time from what I was told. Anyhoo, This issue has just started happening I would say in this last 6-8 months. It's happened a hand full of times. Twice unexpectedly (which gave me a shot of adrenaline ), and the other in a controlled open space environment to try to replicate this. And just as it was mentioned above, it feels like if the pedal leaves your foot and keeps going down. I have a 95' GT 5-speed, so the two times it happened unexpectedly, I quickly got it out of gear and managed to kick it (stomp/tap) on it, and it quickly releases.
So this issue has been somewhat recent and had never happened the first yr and half I've been driving it. One thing that I know I need replacing, is the clock spring. My cruise control doesn't work, along with my horn ( not sure if it's all connected), but I did buy one that I need to replace. Anyhoo, I'll check my throttle body and clean it to see if that might have something to do with it. I'll let you guys know once I replace my clock spring to see if that issue goes away.

Last edited by BadAppleDesignz; 6/6/21 at 01:43 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 6/7/21, 09:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Your '95 works differently than the '05 and up, Apple, so you'll need to be checking more things. The throttle pedal pivot point in the interior is a first concern, the cable linkage to the throttle body is next, the throttle body linkage everywhere, the throttle body itself. Then there's the cruise control, which has linkage to the throttle body, as well as the tranmission kickdown cable, all of which could be a culprit.

Hope that helps ya out!

Quick Reply: Gas Pedal Stuck at full acceleration!