2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Pedal Stuck at full acceleration!

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/05, 10:39 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did a quick search but didn't see anything that looked like anyone else has really had this problem. Only that there was a recall on 04 because of it. Yesterday I was cruising behind a truck pulling a trailer at 45 in a 55... first chance to pass comes up I nail the accelerator to the floor and fly by him. Few car lengths past, I let off the accelerator and pull back into the right lane... Accelerator stays to the floor. I freak... am hitting the brake w/ my left foot while kicking it w/ my right... nothing... speed passing 110 now... and the road ends in a mile. I'm thinking gawd do I have to throw it in neutral and try to shut it off or if it won't shut down... do I have to let her just blow the engine.... So I have her one more swift kick and she released. I pulled into the gas station to make sure it wasn't the floor mat or something that it could've got stuck under and there was no way from the position of the mats I don't think. :shock: I was shaking from head to toe... Got her home and haven't drove her since... guess I need to get her to the shop.
Old 8/22/05, 10:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Okay that's scary. Glad you're ok!
Old 8/22/05, 10:47 AM
GT Member

Thanks. Yeah it really was!!!! I hope its just some freak something and nothing major. AND also doesn't become common w/ them. ... could be real dangerous.
Old 8/22/05, 10:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
That is scary.
I had the floormat get stuck on my old mans 92 5.0 Tbird. I tossed in nuetral and shut off as fast as I could. Still managed to bury the Tachometer, and it was stuck pegged, lol. Now Im freakin what to I do about that. Dads gonna kill me when he sees the needle pegged. So I revved it up real good and she came back down. Whew!!

Grr. moved post while I was replying, lol gave me error
Old 8/22/05, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

this happened with my old 94 integra...yeah..it's scary.
Old 8/22/05, 11:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Whoa there Cher!!!!
I am glad you could keep your cool in that situation. I would be taking that back to the dealer as soon as I could. Keep us posted on what they find.
Old 8/22/05, 11:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same thing happened to me on an '05 that I test drove. In my case the floor mat was definately the culprit. It was turned upside down and the gas pedal got stuck. I had to shut the car down and pull over ... Only then could I see it was hung-up on the floormat.
The following users liked this post:
tbear853 (7/8/21)
Old 8/22/05, 11:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

If you are positive it wasn't the floor mat, definitely get it to the shop asap. Glad you're ok.
Old 8/22/05, 11:56 AM
Cobra Member

I had the same problem in my '88 Gt... it was a common problem and it was caused by dirt and sludge getting into the throttle return spring. there was a plastic shield on it to keep bedris out, but it actually caused the problem instead of preventing it. It was also after there was already 130K on it. I'm going to assume it's not the same problem because I wouldn't imagine the engine is that dirty on a new car... but again, I can't assume anything. I don't know if you live in a disty environment or not.
Regardless of the cause, definitly take it to the dealer and make them resolve the issue.

And, if it should happen again, turn off the ignition and coast it to a stop. Then jump out a play with the throttle arm, make sure it can even move before you start it.

Glad you made it out ok.
Old 8/22/05, 12:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Computer error! thats the worse thing I could think of. GT's around the World deciding to go WOT!
Old 8/22/05, 12:42 PM
I talk to cones.

Mine gets stuck all the time, then I pick my foot up when I realized what happend.

Originally posted by Stoenr@August 22, 2005, 1:12 PM
Computer error! thats the worse thing I could think of. GT's around the World deciding to go WOT!
That will happen exactly as the new redesign comes out so everyone has to buy a new Stang.
Old 8/22/05, 01:13 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by softbatch@August 22, 2005, 12:45 PM
Mine gets stuck all the time, then I pick my foot up when I realized what happend.
That will happen exactly as the new redesign comes out so everyone has to buy a new Stang.

I've had the foot in the accelerator problem often... but when you take your foot completely off the pedal and it does come up that's a bit freaky.

When I got out and checked the mat, it was in place and the edge wasn't in the vicinity of the gas pedal... even when I pushed the pedal in w/ my hand to see.

I'll try and in get her to the shop in the next couple days and see what they say.
Old 8/22/05, 02:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow, that will get your attention! I remember someone several
months ago reported the same thing as was positive it wasn't the
floor mat.

Makes me wonder if I might be next.
Old 8/22/05, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by clintoris@August 22, 2005, 10:59 AM
I had the same problem in my '88 Gt... it was a common problem and it was caused by dirt and sludge getting into the throttle return spring. there was a plastic shield on it to keep bedris out, but it actually caused the problem instead of preventing it. It was also after there was already 130K on it. I'm going to assume it's not the same problem because I wouldn't imagine the engine is that dirty on a new car... but again, I can't assume anything. I don't know if you live in a disty environment or not.
Regardless of the cause, definitly take it to the dealer and make them resolve the issue.

And, if it should happen again, turn off the ignition and coast it to a stop. Then jump out a play with the throttle arm, make sure it can even move before you start it.

Glad you made it out ok.
Good luck finding the throttle return spring on a 2005 Mustang.
Old 8/22/05, 04:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@August 22, 2005, 9:46 AM
I did see someone else post the same issue. Can't remember where, but definately bring this back to the dealer. Oh ya, I'm moving this to the GT Tech and performance section.
Is this a GT specific issue? So no worries about this happening with a V6? :scratch:
Old 8/22/05, 07:18 PM
GT Member

Not a clue if its GT specific or not. Other than the one talked about above, I've not seen anyone else say anything about it. My car is an automatic as well... but I couldn't say if its an auto issue either. I may try and get her to the shop in the morning... if I can get up early enough. HAHA
Old 8/23/05, 01:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by don_w@August 22, 2005, 2:39 PM
Good luck finding the throttle return spring on a 2005 Mustang.
I haven't seen the T-body.... I know the throttle is calbless, but is there not a return spring on it?
I don't mean to speak ignorantly, but not havin' seen one yet, I was guessin' at how it was set up.
Old 9/22/05, 01:02 PM
GT Member

Update: I took it in and they didn't find anything :bang: ..... So I get her back... drive her a couple weeks and she seems fine UNTIL I once again went to wOOt from 40 mph to pass a car.... This time I actually felt the gas pedal leave my foot and continue to the floor. Was WEIRD it was like very fast but my foot fell an inch to catch back up with the pedal. Sunny must have a ghost that loves the wOOt!. So anyway, did the same thing. Hit brakes hard while kicking the pedal and got her to release and drove her straight back to the dealer this morning. Haven't heard from them yet. :scratch:
Old 9/22/05, 01:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by chers2031@September 22, 2005, 1:05 PM
Update: I took it in and they didn't find anything :bang: ..... So I get her back... drive her a couple weeks and she seems fine UNTIL I once again went to wOOt from 40 mph to pass a car.... This time I actually felt the gas pedal leave my foot and continue to the floor. Was WEIRD it was like very fast but my foot fell an inch to catch back up with the pedal. Sunny must have a ghost that loves the wOOt!. So anyway, did the same thing. Hit brakes hard while kicking the pedal and got her to release and drove her straight back to the dealer this morning. Haven't heard from them yet. :scratch:
Sooo...let me get this straight. Your PEDAL moved toward WOT without you pushing it???

And I thought I was the only GhostGT...
Old 9/22/05, 01:30 PM
GT Member

Sorry... I suck at explanations. I kicked her into passing gear to pass a car. Was doing 40 mph when I punched her. (She's an automatic.) I had pressure on the pedal w/ it about 1/2 way to the floor but I wasnt going any further was planning to keep it steady at that pace until I got around the other vehicle. I had tons of room no need for a major jump. The pedal then actually left my foot and continued to the floor. I know it sounds INSANE! I feel like I've lost my mind just saying it! :scratch: But both times she's gotten stuck its been the same... its like something else is pushing the pedal on down and holding it there.

Quick Reply: Gas Pedal Stuck at full acceleration!