2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/11, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve

Anyone ever use one of these? Any opinions... good, bad or indifferent?

http://www.fumotousa.com/faq.htm
Old 2/8/11, 03:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well pulling the plug is a pretty simple task. I wouldn't spend money on it.
Old 2/8/11, 05:31 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Everett
Well pulling the plug is a pretty simple task. I wouldn't spend money on it.
Yeah, unless you're changing oil every week, I think I'd put the money towards something else.
Old 2/9/11, 06:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never used one of these, but Fram used to make a product called "SureDrain" that was basically the same thing. It had a brass fitting that screwed into the pan, which had a one-way valve in it. When you wanted to drain the oil, you screwed a fitting onto the end of the valve, which would open it, and drain the oil. It worked well, since you didn't need to worry about having extra gaskets for the drain plug on hand, but drained the oil. Very. Very. Slowly.

On this, I'd be afraid, no matter how unlikely the incident, that a rock or something would pop that lever out of its detent, and somehow, the petcock would open, draining the engine. Just me, though.

JR
Old 2/11/11, 10:06 AM
RCW
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Happy With It!

I installed one at the first oil change to my 05 in the Spring of 2005.
I have been very satisfied with it.
After 85,000 miles, no leaks, no accidental openings of the valve, no problems at all.
The spring that holds the valve in the closed indentation of the body is stout.
The oils flows normally when opened.
Much less messy when draining compared to the standard drain plug.
Never have to worry about striping the threads on the plug or the pan.
I plan on buying one for every new vehicle I purchase in the future.

Hope this helps.

RC
Old 2/11/11, 10:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RCW
I installed one at the first oil change to my 05 in the Spring of 2005.
I have been very satisfied with it.
After 85,000 miles, no leaks, no accidental openings of the valve, no problems at all.
The spring that holds the valve in the closed indentation of the body is stout.
The oils flows normally when opened.
Much less messy when draining compared to the standard drain plug.
Never have to worry about striping the threads on the plug or the pan.
I plan on buying one for every new vehicle I purchase in the future.

Hope this helps.

RC
That is about as good a review as your gonna get... Now I want one
Old 2/11/11, 07:31 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
our John Deere Gator has a similar valve- even has a drain tube on it that goes over to a hole in the chassis, plus a lip under the oil filter twith a tube that diverts oil draining from the filter when changing out the same chassis hole...easiest/cleanest thing Ive ever changed oil in. the motors a Yamaha, and they deserve a 'A+' on the way they put it in there.

a plug seems simple enough, but in some applications, I can see where it would sure be handy- if it had a barb for a push-on tube, I'd probably get one for the mustangs, just to stop the splashing you get with that watery 5w20 oil...

the messiest thing Ive ever changed oil in is our ford/newholland 1630 mower...they put the freakin oil filter horizontal right above the injection pump...least messy way to pull the filter is pound a hole thru the bottom to drain it first, but it still ends up dripping that blackest of black diesel contaminated oil all over itself, and the fuel pump/plumbing is about impossible to clean...tried using tinfoil/clay, all kinds od cheesy stuff to try to catch the drips, but its just a filthy mess to change... best just to pull the deck, partk in oildry and spray it down with brakekleen after pullin the filter. it needs a remote filter AND one of these quick drain things on it. that thing also has one grease fitting on the front end that is such a pain(has that 'supersteer' 4wd axle) to grease if the engine ever has to come out I'm gonna pipe it to the frame...its the only thing that ever squeaks, and is such a PITA to get ahold of...I'm a Ford guy at heart, but the service setup on that tractor sucks- they should take a lesson from John Deere/Yamaha...nice machine other than that.

EDIT- fumoto makes the one on our Gator- this is the exact part:
http://www.fumotousa.com/nseries.htm

the ability to put the hose on it is a super clean way to drain the pan without spilling a drop.

Last edited by ford4v429; 2/11/11 at 07:38 PM.
Old 2/11/11, 07:43 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by godspunk32
On this, I'd be afraid, no matter how unlikely the incident, that a rock or something would pop that lever out of its detent, and somehow, the petcock would open, draining the engine. Just me, though.

JR
they suggest for added security (offroad stuff) putting a clip on it to lock it-

pretty solid design- the one on our Gator gets packed wit mud/grass, no worries, just chip away the dirt and flip the lever...gotta say its a pretty solid cheap little valve.

thanks for the link D'prived- now I know where to get them, I just might be doing so on everything

edit again- found on ebay- f106n (with the hose nipple) fits the 4.6 but 23.75 apiece...hmm...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fumot...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by ford4v429; 2/11/11 at 07:52 PM.