2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Guage problems

Search this Thread

Old 9/14/05, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have a 2005 V6 with 1900 miles on her. About 10 days ago I filled up at a gas station I never used before (have used the same Sunoco station every time till then). Very soon after that the gas gauge dropped to empty and stayed there for a couple of minutes, then went back to full. For the next two days it would keep going back and forth. Read on here and some other forums that a bottle or two of Chevron Techron would take care of the problem. Put a bottle in and the next morning it started working okay. Was good for about 5 days and then I filled up two nights ago - at my usual Sunoco station. Yesterday the problem returned and continued thru today. Just dropped a 2nd bottle of Techron in. Has this actaully solved the problem for anyone? ... or do the sending units need replaced? The car is going in late next week for a replacement car seat cover, so maybe I can have them check it out then. Also... when calling the dealership about a problem do you usually call the salesman that sold you the car or do you call straight to the service dept? Thanks for your help.
Old 9/14/05, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

I call the Service Dept. If the Service Writer can't help you, talk to the service manager. That's what we do.....We got a free oil change on the last trip for service.
Old 9/14/05, 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by bbuddy214@September 14, 2005, 8:08 PM
Have a 2005 V6 with 1900 miles on her. About 10 days ago I filled up at a gas station I never used before (have used the same Sunoco station every time till then). Very soon after that the gas gauge dropped to empty and stayed there for a couple of minutes, then went back to full. For the next two days it would keep going back and forth. Read on here and some other forums that a bottle or two of Chevron Techron would take care of the problem. Put a bottle in and the next morning it started working okay. Was good for about 5 days and then I filled up two nights ago - at my usual Sunoco station. Yesterday the problem returned and continued thru today. Just dropped a 2nd bottle of Techron in. Has this actaully solved the problem for anyone? ... or do the sending units need replaced? The car is going in late next week for a replacement car seat cover, so maybe I can have them check it out then. Also... when calling the dealership about a problem do you usually call the salesman that sold you the car or do you call straight to the service dept? Thanks for your help.

Sounds like a fuel level sensor to me.
Old 10/25/05, 06:12 PM

The dealer replaced the sending unit a couple of weeks ago. Seems to have taken care of the problem.