2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Fuel Fill Up Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 6/23/05, 03:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bulldog,

Had same problem with mine, took car to shop (Sal.. Ford, in Kitz), they ordered tank. 2 weeks later tank installed (2 hours).

SAME PROBLEM - they can't understand it. Took it in again today, they verified the vent placement, said it's the moded one, but I don't think they know what they're looking at.

Said they would make some calls to US - I told them that some of the "replacement tanks" were bad too, to just order another tank.

BLUF - waiting on another tank. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

TC
Old 6/30/05, 12:58 PM

Same thing happened to me. Had the gas tank problem and took it to get a new one. Have the new gas tank and still have the problem.

Now this is annoying.
Old 7/4/05, 11:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Does anyone know after what build date, they started using the new tank? I'm a april 4th week build date, and I have the problem as well. However, if the new tank is having problems like in the above posts, it could be possible that I already have the new tank, and taking it in would be a waste of time.

I found that I don't have to hold the filler completly upside down. If I turn it 1/4 turn to the right, that seems to be all I need to get it to fill. Since I usually go to self serve stations anyway, I might think I am just going to leave it for now.
Old 7/4/05, 12:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by kerafaith@June 15, 2005, 11:51 PM

And I can see where you guys are leary of the "knowledgeable" technicians. I had my gas tank replace on a Friday. That following Sunday the service engine soon light comes on. I take her down on Tuesday (that Mon was a holiday) & they put her on the machine & tear into her only to find there is a hole in a hose leading from the "new" gas tank. So they keep her until the following Monday because on Friday while replacing the gas tank again they lost a bolt that they needed & they didn't find on until late Friday & the technician didn't come in on Saturdays.

So, that Monday I get my car back & driving down a straight stretch 2 lane highway with nothing coming, & in broad open daylight I decided to pick her up to about 70. Well, there is a terrible roaring noise inside the car & a vibration between 60 & 80 mph & when breaking. Guess what that meant. Yep, she went back the next day only to discover she needed a new Driveshaft. So, that comes in on Thursday & Firday she has that replaced.

The driveshaft was likely not installed correctly after the tank replacement. I have had the tank shut-off thing happen only once in 3 months so it's not worth risking a bucketload of other issues caused by inexperienced techs working on the car.
Old 7/4/05, 01:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Got mine fixed finally last week (had to... I haven't had a "click-free" fillup ever).

I was so excited to go to the gas station, put the pump in the tank, and just stand back while the tank filled.

The pump didn't click off once, which was great, but of course I picked the one pump that didn't have the little "clip" on it - so I still had to hold it the whole time :bang:

It did take the dealer a while to do the replacement (the tech wanted to make sure he didn't screw anything else up). The extra time was fine with me - better to get a ride home that day than end up with a busted driveshaft.
Old 7/4/05, 01:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by RottenRonny@July 4, 2005, 7:04 PM
Does anyone know after what build date, they started using the new tank? I'm a april 4th week build date, and I have the problem as well. However, if the new tank is having problems like in the above posts, it could be possible that I already have the new tank, and taking it in would be a waste of time.

I found that I don't have to hold the filler completly upside down. If I turn it 1/4 turn to the right, that seems to be all I need to get it to fill. Since I usually go to self serve stations anyway, I might think I am just going to leave it for now.

Mine was a "APR 19th" build date. Still have the problem.
Old 7/4/05, 02:54 PM
V6 Member

i sent my mustang.. to the Dealer to change.. it to The TSB Tank..
bss it seems that i got the same problem but lil bit less than before plus i got a new problem when i fill my tank when it clicks full some fuel about a half a bottle of fuel comes out from the tank. i sent my mustang back to my dealer and they have no idea about it they told me its all they can do .. =S..
Old 7/4/05, 10:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Dubai@July 4, 2005, 10:57 PM
i sent my mustang.. to the Dealer to change.. it to The TSB Tank..
bss it seems that i got the same problem but lil bit less than before plus i got a new problem when i fill my tank when it clicks full some fuel about a half a bottle of fuel comes out from the tank. i sent my mustang back to my dealer and they have no idea about it they told me its all they can do .. =S..

Same for me. Tank was replaced. Now it happens every once in a while. Works better when filling it from empty and I get the same "splash" at the end. If I'm half a tank when filling, I get the shut-off problem. Dealer here is stumped too. They looked at the new tank again and confirmed it was indeed a "new/good" tank.
Old 7/5/05, 01:07 AM
GT Member

Arrow

My GT Convertible is a 4/18 build and it has the problem, will live with it for a while until FORD figures the right fix...they knew it was a problem and a new tank on the line would have been much easier :bang: !
Mike
Old 7/5/05, 09:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

3-30-05 build date and only happened twice (each time at the same pump). The two times it did click-off repeatedly during fill-up was at a Mobil on the Thruway. I fill up at the same place when returning from Albany NY and they don't have the rubber nozzle covers on their pumps. Just the metal nozzle at the tank opening. Could that be it?

I remember going for my first fill-up in Bogota, NJ and the attendant came out and shook his haid, "no no no" he said, "let me get some rags", before he even began filling up my car! I guess he was all too familiar with the earlier tank problems? Anyway, I told him my car was built after they started using the new tank and there shouldn't be any problems. There wasn't and it worked fine. 2800 miles on it now. I never top-off after it clicks and noticed that my DTE has gone up from 283 to 297 to 313.. must be breakin in!