2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Foreign parts

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/05, 08:36 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey ,just wanted to know the 411 on this question cause a lot of members are real proud of their stangs being American..
Old 8/2/05, 08:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Well I'll be damned if Ford Motor Company isn't an American one :scratch:
Old 8/2/05, 09:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think V6 engine is build in Germany. Some of the earlier GT engines were build in Canada. There were some threads on that if you want more info on how to identify it.
Old 8/2/05, 10:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

The rear spoiler is made in Canada... maybe that's why we can't order one deleted!
Old 8/2/05, 11:26 AM
Cobra Member

I do not remember 70-80% It's posted by law on the window. Someone could check it out on a lot.
Old 8/2/05, 12:32 PM
Cobra Member

==Foreign parts, How much of stang is foreign made??==

A lot less of it than on a Civic
Old 8/2/05, 12:38 PM
Cobra Member

A lot less of it than on a Civic
You would be supprised, the Honda accord was designed and built exclusively in the United states, the civic, I believe only the transmission is built in Japan. My Mustang, although it may have been assembled in flatrock, has more Mexican and Canadian parts, than my civic had Japanese parts.
Old 8/2/05, 05:25 PM
Cobra Member

Does it really matter?
If you learned that 20% of the Mustang parts were "American", would no longer want the car?

If you found out that 90% of Toyota or Honda parts are "American", would that make you more likely to buy them?

Welcome to the global economy.
Old 8/2/05, 05:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm real proud of my Mustang being fast, eye-catching, etc.

I didn't buy it BECAUSE it's American... that's certainly a nice bonus though

My Altima was made in the USA (Tennessee)... but still considered a "foreign" car.

Some "American" cars from Ford, GM, Chrysler, are made in Canada and Mexico... still considered "American" cars.

My Grand Cherokee was made in the USA... but considered an "American" car... no matter that the money went to DAIMLERChrysler apparently.

What's my point here? I'm really not sure. I guess that a vehicle being deemed "American" or not can depend on many factors - where it's made, percentage of parts that are American, who owns the corporation, etc. It's a gray area in many instances.

Personally, I'll continue to buy whatever vehicle meets my needs and excites me the most, regardless of whether it's deemed "American" or not. All things equal, sure, it would be nice if those vehicle choices always end up being "American."

What was I talking about again?
Old 8/2/05, 06:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Maybe when the refer to American.. they refer to The entire continent. North America
Old 8/2/05, 07:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

The 65% on the window tag is for all Mustangs, that is why the V6 and the GT have the same %. The GT with the North American Engine would be higher than the V6 with a Germany. But that number is miss leading because it dose not include assembly. Ford estimates that the Mustang would be around 80% if that was included.
Old 8/2/05, 10:17 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Mustang Dan has done the most homework here trying to get as much "All American " that you can out of the mustang and I can 't blame him or any one else that would like this ...after all we all want to have something that makes us proud that it was built in our home land....promoting work in our own country and building the local economy.
Old 8/3/05, 02:04 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by Ripstang@August 3, 2005, 12:20 AM
I think Mustang Dan has done the most homework here trying to get as much "All American " that you can out of the mustang and I can 't blame him or any one else that would like this ...after all we all want to have something that makes us proud that it was built in our home land....promoting work in our own country and building the local economy.
Can I get an AMEN?
Old 8/3/05, 02:31 PM
Bullitt Member

AMEN The way I look at it - Ford is an American Company (specifically, the United States of America), the car is assembled in Flat Rock Michigan (USA), car was assembled by Americans in Flat Rock Michigan (USA), purchased in Texas (USA) by an American (citizen of the USA) who drives in USA, purchases mods in the USA and most of the $$$ for all of the above stays in the USA. I know, I'm old fashioned, but my grandfather has always told me "buy American to keep American's working"). :flag2: :flag2: :flag2: I am darn proud to be an American and I'm darn proud to be driving my American Mustang GT! God Bless America! OK, I'm done.
Old 8/3/05, 05:41 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by 05stangster@August 3, 2005, 4:34 PM
AMEN The way I look at it - Ford is an American Company (specifically, the United States of America), the car is assembled in Flat Rock Michigan (USA), car was assembled by Americans in Flat Rock Michigan (USA), purchased in Texas (USA) by an American (citizen of the USA) who drives in USA, purchases mods in the USA and most of the $$$ for all of the above stays in the USA. I know, I'm old fashioned, but my grandfather has always told me "buy American to keep American's working"). :flag2: :flag2: :flag2: I am darn proud to be an American and I'm darn proud to be driving my American Mustang GT! God Bless America! OK, I'm done.
CAN I GET A AMEN 2X'S!!