2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Ford flip key?

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/09, 04:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had to have mine done at a locksmith, and even he had a problem with it fitting into the normal key cutter and had to use the mobile unit, but it came out fine...

As for the key chain, I actually ended up using the one from my laser pointer, which is in the shape of a triangle... Works great!

Old 10/6/09, 05:50 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I got mine in the mail yesterday, and had the remote programmed right away. Well, sort of. I didnt' read the directions completely, and forgot to program the original two back in, so this was the only one that worked. But that was an easy fix. I went by Lowes' and the Ford dealer today to get the key cut, Lowes' dude was not very helpful, so I stopped at the dealership. He was worried he would cut it wrong because when he inserted it into his machine, this flip key sat crooked. So my last stop was at a locksmiths. He cut it (with a little fenagling to get it in the machine) and it worked fine. Now it's programmed to the car, and I'll start using it now. We'll see if I have any problems with it.

I don't plan on putting a chain on it at all, part of the reason I wanted a single unit like this.
Old 10/7/09, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barricade
I went by home depot but they said they would ruin the key cause its too long and it starts the cut at the end so the distance to the throat would be off. How did you solve that?

Also does anyone have a keyring attached? DOesnt look like there is room. on the end.
It won't ruin it, it will just not cut any material off back that far, I had to go to two places to find someone willing to try. I had to tell them that I wouldn't hold them accountable if they screwed it up. Your best bet may be to go to a locksmith, they will understand the how and why...

For the ring, I used a small metal circle from another keychain that I then attached the key ring to.
Old 10/8/09, 07:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stelthy77
I have this key and it works for my 2005... mostly.

There was much discussion that was lost with the forum crash about these keys. There were several people that were using them fine with 2005's, but they needed the "old" board, that may or may not be avliable still.

Email the ebay seller and tell him you want to try it anyway, but you want the "old" board, it may work fine. Just use the keyless part for a while and try it out before you get the key cut. If it does not work then sell it here, I am sure you can get most of what you paid for back.

That's right, when I got mine it had the new board (with the lights when you press a buton) ad it didn't work. So I contacted the seller and he sent me an old rev board (no lights) and it does work fine now.
Old 10/9/09, 07:48 PM

I got mine today and didn't worked. I contacted the seller and told me to send it back for a replacement to work on my 05.
Old 10/10/09, 04:10 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The remote or the key didnt work...???
Old 10/10/09, 09:31 PM

the remote didn't work. I didn't cut the key yet. Contacted the seller and he is replacing it with one that should work on my 05.
Old 10/28/09, 08:25 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Well, tried to get my remote to work with the 1st gen board but no luck. The key programmed fine, but the remote wouldn't program for some reason. The seller said to return it and he'd refund my money - even apologized for "wasting my time" and because he couldn't get me something that would work. I told him no apology was necessary and I appreciated his efforts to make things work and then to refund my money. He said mine is the first time he hasn't been able to get it working though
Old 10/29/09, 06:12 PM
GT Member

I got mine today. Green light behind the buttons, and the remote doesn't work. I have sent the seller an email and am waiting for him to get back to me. Unfortunately, I hadn't read this post till now.
My car is an 06, delivered 12-05

Hopefully the "old" board will work and is offered. If not, Ill be posting it up here for sale. Ill keep you guys posted.

Ohh S197 V6. I currently have the silver and black key you posted (second one) and the only problem with it is sometimes the trunk button gets hit while starting. and in your pocket, I have set off the panic a couple of times. Other then that, I haven't had any problems with it.
Old 10/29/09, 06:32 PM
GT Member

WOW, talk about fast replies, Here is what the seller said,

Some 2006 Mustang told me the flip key won't work, I calculated there is 10% 2006 mustang won't work, I will re-send you 1 remote circuit board that I special made for 2006 mustang, you can replace the remote circuit board by untight back screw, I will ship you today, and please test it and let me know what happen, sorry for all inconvenient.

So far so good. We'll see when that board gets here.
Old 11/8/09, 07:18 PM

You all want Mazda keys in your Mustangs?

http://torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=12458

Last edited by Robert T; 11/8/09 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11/8/09, 08:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Robert T
You all want Mazda keys in your Mustangs?

http://torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=12458
Most of us already know the remote is the same as the ones sourced for Mazdas with the proper key blade, compatible electronics and Ford logo insert. They are also legitmately used as original equipment for the Tawain Ford Escape... You may not realize it but the Mustang sources some parts that are shared with the Mazda 6 since they are built in the same assembly plant.

Shared parts sourcing between Fords and Mazda is nothing new. The have had a relationship for very a long time and vested interests with each other. It's not like a VW or BMW key was adapted to work on a Ford.

Last edited by watchdevil; 11/9/09 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11/9/09, 03:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Originally Posted by stelthy77 View Post
I have this key and it works for my 2005... mostly.

There was much discussion that was lost with the forum crash about these keys. There were several people that were using them fine with 2005's, but they needed the "old" board, that may or may not be avliable still.

Email the ebay seller and tell him you want to try it anyway, but you want the "old" board, it may work fine. Just use the keyless part for a while and try it out before you get the key cut. If it does not work then sell it here, I am sure you can get most of what you paid for back.Dineau;5745609

Dineau: That's right, when I got mine it had the new board (with the lights when you press a buton) ad it didn't work. So I contacted the seller and he sent me an old rev board (no lights) and it does work fine now.
WELL, it didnt work for me. I have both boards, and checked the battery. No Joy,,, It doesnt work for me at all. I havent contacted the seller as I have just tried the new board. Ill find out what the seller has to say, but most likely I'll be selling here.
Old 11/9/09, 05:11 PM
GT Member

Hey guys, just how many remotes can one have programed to the Mustang?? and how do you "unprogram" them from your car??

The reason im asking is, Way back when, when the keyfob (all in one key and fob) was introduced I could not program that to my mustang, even tho I could program it to my 00 Taurus and my 05 escape. I could also program the remotes from them to the mustang. Thats 4 remotes programed to the Mustang. I now have a third key and remote, (the steletto blade) programed to the Mustang. That brings the total number of remotes programed (at one time or another) to 5.

Now I have not kept the taurus or the escape remotes programed to the mustang, as they are needed for their own vehicles. but perhaps the computer on the Mustang still thinks they are programed to it.

IM thinking this is why I can not program the new flip key to the Mustang,,,, it has to many remotes assigned to it already. So how do I fix it??

Last edited by Busted; 11/9/09 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11/9/09, 07:14 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
As soon as you program a remote all the other remotes are "deprogrammed" from your car.

I couldn't get the remote to work with my car even with the gen 1 chip - I could program the key but not the remote. The seller was really good about returns and even apologized that it wouldn't work for me.
Old 11/10/09, 02:03 PM
GT Member

WELL, get this... I got it to work. (the non lighted board) Turns out I was NOT following the instructions correctly. At the 8th turn of the key, I was turning it back to off,,,, You are SUPPOSE to leave it in the ON position. The lighted board still did not work, but the non lighted, (the replacement) one did. Now Im off to Mazda to get the key cut, and to let the seller know im a tard for not following the instructions.
Old 11/12/09, 07:44 PM

I got my replacement key from the seller and it works great on my 05. It's the one without light. Thanks to everyone, now I'm a happy Mustang owner. Diego
Old 11/12/09, 08:12 PM
GT Member

Mazda didnt want to cut the key, so I went to Ford. They did it for nothing, but kept asking me what year an make,,,, like it matters???

Anyway, I hop in the car, put the clutch to the floor, slip the key in and DOHH! forgot to program the key. Took a moment to read the manual. Badda Bing Badda Boom, off and runnin with my new key!
Old 1/8/10, 07:46 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Busted
Mazda didnt want to cut the key, so I went to Ford. They did it for nothing, but kept asking me what year an make,,,, like it matters???

Anyway, I hop in the car, put the clutch to the floor, slip the key in and DOHH! forgot to program the key. Took a moment to read the manual. Badda Bing Badda Boom, off and runnin with my new key!
Its been a couple months since I got this key. Thought I would update it.

I have had ZERO issues with this key. None whats so ever. No accidental trunk pops, or panic alarms, Nadda.
Old 3/19/10, 05:40 PM
Cobra R Member

OK...I bought it from the same guy but mine has the green light for a 2006.
It lights up when I press it but the car wont recognise the alarm. It passed the
transponder test and opens the door and starts the car but no alarm.

I now cant find the email from the guy to ask him about swapping the interior for the non green
lighted guts. Can one of yall PM me his info so I can get it fixed???

THANKS!!!!!

PS- how did you open it to change out the board??

Last edited by Barricade; 3/19/10 at 05:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Ford flip key?