2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Fog light lens haze

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/07 | 07:53 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Centurion96
Please notice that the PIAA 4064 light that was listed is a driving lamp and not a fog lamp. It only has a 30 degree beam spread whereas fog lamps have a beam spread of greater than 90 degrees. Replacing a fog lamp with a driving lamp will be useless in foggy conditions. The fog lamp has a lens that cuts off the beam at a certain height just like your low beams, this reduces reflected glare back towards you. A driving lamp with a 30 degree cone is just that, a complete cone with no vertical cutoff, and since they are rated at a higher wattage they will reflect a lot of light back at you. If you use it to replace your fog lamp and then hook it up to existing wiring then it will only work with your low beams as that is how the fog lamps are wired. Unfortunately driving lamps are designed to compliment high beams and not low beams.

From the rocket ranch

BB

Semper Fi
That is a good point I did not even think of it that way. And although i live in an area that gets pretty bad Fog at times. I would much prefer a driving light at night( Not during Foggy Conditions of course). I have a set of Hella Driving lights on my F-150 and love those things on the dark 2 lane roads we have here. And while i also do like the foglights I would almost prefer the driving light over the fogs.

Richard
Old 3/6/07 | 08:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Converting the existing wiring to control driving lamps rather than fog lamps may be complicated or may be simple. It depends on how the dash switch is wired and how that switch is internally programmed. On older vehicles with a seperate fog lamp switch, you could remove the low beam feed wire and replace it with a high beam feed wire. I don't have any Mustang documentation or schematics yet so I'm not sure how you could modify this system. If it doesn't rely a lot on the smart box then it should be a simple mod.

I've been talking with several of the aftermarket sequential taillight manufacturers and have discovered that the '07 wiring differs from the 05-06s and relies more on the smart box for certain functions. Once I find a good maintenance CD with wiring diagrams I should have a better understanding.

BB

Semper Fi
Old 3/7/07 | 12:59 AM
Cobra R Member

Does anyone make HID fogs to go with a nice set of saleen HID headlights? I see angel eyes but tthats a beemer/auto -euro thing
Old 3/7/07 | 08:44 AM
Cobra Member

Bob are you a member of Fordtruckworld?

Richard
Old 3/7/07 | 09:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

My guess is that the relay is so you wire power directly from the battery to the H3 bulb. Ford already does this at the factory, so I am unsure why they needed to include another relay.
Old 3/7/07 | 11:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD
Bob are you a member of Fordtruckworld?

Richard
No, just Mustangforums.com, BigBroncos.com, Fourdoorbroncos.com, and 2bigbroncos 4x4 club. Oh and 4x4vans.com

After that I can't keep track and my mailbox fills up too fast.

BB

Semper Fi
Old 3/7/07 | 11:21 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by robair
Exactly! I see guys using them all the time just because I guess they think it looks cool.
I did that all the time, you mean it's not cool to do that ?

Nah.

Still I agree completely they were not designed to be driving lights they were really put there to enhance the design cues of our Stangs, still you should be able to use them as you see fit without consequence.
Old 3/7/07 | 02:13 PM
Cobra Member

No, just Mustangforums.com, BigBroncos.com, Fourdoorbroncos.com, and 2bigbroncos 4x4 club. Oh and 4x4vans.com

After that I can't keep track and my mailbox fills up too fast.

BB

Semper Fi
Ah Ok maybe it is MF i recognized you from then.

Richard
Old 3/7/07 | 07:20 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by karman
Just thinking.
Okay,Lets say I never need foglights (I don't) or I can install additional ones.
If I use the PIAA set-up and original wire signals to their relay, can I just switch the headlamp wires so the high beams come on with the dash switch?
Wouldn't the low beams come on with the stalk switch?
Wouldn't the fogs (driving lights) come on with highs only?
Would the smart junction box still be happy?
Converting the existing wiring to control driving lamps rather than fog lamps may be complicated or may be simple. It depends on how the dash switch is wired and how that switch is internally programmed. On older vehicles with a seperate fog lamp switch, you could remove the low beam feed wire and replace it with a high beam feed wire. I don't have any Mustang documentation or schematics yet so I'm not sure how you could modify this system. If it doesn't rely a lot on the smart box then it should be a simple mod.
BB
Semper Fi
I DID IT.
I removed the terminals from the headlight harness and switched them.
My headlights now come on with highbeams and I can turn on the fogs.
Of course, to turn on the lowbeams I have to flick the stalk switch (and the dash indicator for the high beams comes on).
Old 3/8/07 | 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Another hazer here. I had her into the dealer today on an unrelated issue (one which I'll document once the dealer is able to) and while there had them look at both the fogs for hazing, and the headlights for tiny cracks that had developed in the centre of the covers. Both fogs and lights are being replaced under warranty.
Old 3/8/07 | 02:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

That "hole" in the back is a vent. You plug it up and the rear of the housing will melt over time. I did that very thing to a fog light in our Escape and guess what - the housing started to melt which was great fun because at the time, Escape fog lights from Ford were $90 each