Sponsored by:

Fog lamps / Turn signals matching

Search this Thread

Old 5/28/11, 06:51 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog lamps / Turn signals matching

Hey Guys,

I recently changed my turn signals to switchback LEDs, which are awesome! However, the "white" color they emit is more like an off-white with a blue haze. I want to get as close as I can to matching the light color with my fog lamps. See pictures below. (Headlights are HID, pure white, so disregard those in the pictures)

I called an auto parts store and they said the Sylvania Silverstars (h11stbp or 9145stbp) have a blue light to them, but they would not let me return them if they did not match correctly, even if I tried them in the parking lot. So before I spend the money on these bulbs, I wanted to see is anyone had them installed and can share an image of the color, or if they have a suggestion of another kind of bulb to buy. I would rather be on more of the white side than the blue side.

I mostly use the fog lamps as my daytime lamps and for city driving.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Fog lamps / Turn signals matching-2011-05-28-18.01.44.jpg   Fog lamps / Turn signals matching-2011-05-28-18.01.52.jpg  
Old 5/29/11, 08:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
I wouldn't waste your money on the silverstars. Here they are against 6K HID headlights:

Old 5/29/11, 12:59 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the comparison. That is not even close to my turn-signal color. I guess the guys at the shop really don't have any idea what they sell.

Glad for forums!
Old 5/29/11, 01:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Looks to me like the 6k HIDs might match pretty well. I have those on my car now, they're really bright (i do get flashed by people who think they're highbeams, but I got that on the silverstars too...just not as much).
Old 5/29/11, 01:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
I wouldn't waste your money on the silverstars. Here they are against 6K HID headlights:
BTW, to get off topic here, is that avatar picture of yours really you and your mustang?
Old 5/29/11, 01:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

In a manner of speaking, you might be able to stretch reality and say that, but nope, it's not my real car. It's a screen shot from Gran Turismo 4 I took, of my GT4 mustang i bought in the game. Trust me I love my suspension too much to destroy it in real life.

Old 6/2/11, 12:52 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
Hey Guys,

I recently changed my turn signals to switchback LEDs, which are awesome! However, the "white" color they emit is more like an off-white with a blue haze. I want to get as close as I can to matching the light color with my fog lamps. See pictures below. (Headlights are HID, pure white, so disregard those in the pictures)

I called an auto parts store and they said the Sylvania Silverstars (h11stbp or 9145stbp) have a blue light to them, but they would not let me return them if they did not match correctly, even if I tried them in the parking lot. So before I spend the money on these bulbs, I wanted to see is anyone had them installed and can share an image of the color, or if they have a suggestion of another kind of bulb to buy. I would rather be on more of the white side than the blue side.

I mostly use the fog lamps as my daytime lamps and for city driving.

Thanks.
Would def go with 6k HID's which will match your turn signals. Also Not sure if you are just using a regular white LED but we have something called a "switchback" that flashes amber and then goes back to white when not flashing.

http://www.hidguy.net/index.php?main_page=page&id=41
Old 6/2/11, 03:43 PM
Cobra Member

This is the main reason I havent added switchbacks, always look blue to me.
Old 6/4/11, 07:42 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by HIDGUY
Would def go with 6k HID's which will match your turn signals. Also Not sure if you are just using a regular white LED but we have something called a "switchback" that flashes amber and then goes back to white when not flashing.

http://www.hidguy.net/index.php?main_page=page&id=41
Yes, I know. Those are your switchbacks. Your "white" is actually blueish. I was a little disappointed when I discovered this and your helpdesk said that is as white as they get. Do you know what temp they operate at?
Old 6/4/11, 07:43 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
This is the main reason I havent added switchbacks, always look blue to me.
So does that mean you just have an amber light bulb in your turn signal lens?
Old 6/6/11, 07:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Yes I bought the switchback bulbs was was disappointed as they are no where near the non HID lights, I had figured that would be the case but tried them anyhow.

Now for some one that really wants them you can get the same size surface mount LEDs they use in warm white which should be much closer in color, you would have to replace them all on the bulb it shouldn't be that bad if you are handy with a soldering iron. I had though about doing it, but now I am designing my own custom LED lights which I will be able to adjust the colors of.
Old 6/7/11, 10:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Starfire
Now for some one that really wants them you can get the same size surface mount LEDs they use in warm white which should be much closer in color, you would have to replace them all on the bulb it shouldn't be that bad if you are handy with a soldering iron. I had though about doing it, but now I am designing my own custom LED lights which I will be able to adjust the colors of.
haha, I guess that is one way to do it. I haven't considered making my own LED bulbs. I think I could figure it out, but I am not sure I am ready to take that plunge yet. Thanks for the idea though.
Old 6/9/11, 05:34 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
So does that mean you just have an amber light bulb in your turn signal lens?
I have a normal clear bulb to avoid the "Egg yolk" with the light off, I had a state trooper look it up and it says signals can be yellow OR white. Now what I don't like is when its just parking light, the low power makes it dingy white so they don't match factory headlights from some views