2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

First run-in with Smokey Bear (silly)

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/05, 12:56 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geez, talk about a curveball during a hectic work day….. totally off the wall……

[Let me preface by stating – I was on the phone to the dealership this morning all pissed off – my temp tag expires TOMORROW – and I still haven’t gotten my plate yet. Called dealership yesterday – talked to the tags & title woman, who puts me on hold and checks her paperwork – comes back on and tells me that my car’s paperwork is two entries down in the pile she is currently working on – they’ll be submitted by the end of the day. When I bring up the fact that its been a month and the temp is going to EXPIRE, she says that she guarantees she’ll have my plate to me in time. I call today and speak to the sales manager (he was out yesterday – and he’s an awesome guy) – he is perturbed too – says they’ll have the plate this afternoon and they’ll express/next day it to my job so I’ll have it tomorrow (dealership is an hour and 15 minutes north of me). I don’t like cutting things that close (and will essentially be driving in tomorrow morning with an expired tag) but at least I have an answer and I trust my guy that I’ll have it tomorrow.]

So anyway, I am out at lunch today with a co-worker – she’s leaving in a few weeks and we haven’t talked about her new job. Drive 5 minutes around the corner to a Chillis – get there BEFORE noon so I can pick my parking spot – get an END spot so only on car can park next to me. Go in, have lunch.

Come out – parking lot is PACKED – we are talking. Just as we’re getting in, kid in a white car pulls into the open spot next to passenger side. I wanted to back out angling back to the right and leave through the west exit – but the kid is too close so I have to cut the wheel the other way to back up and then drive down the lane and then around the restaurant itself. I am backing out, trying not to hit the two guys standing there talking at the trunk of the car directly behind me. My friend says something and I look in front – old lady, driving her old lady friend is looking to pass down the lane – however, she is not WAITING as I slowly back up but rolling towards us as the space between us and the parking spot gets bigger. Eight feet away and closing. She’s headed straight for the right front corner of the Stang – incredulous, I stop – not looking at me, she keeps coming. Not taking the chance she won’t stop, I back up a few more inches, cut the wheel click to D, and get the car to the right as she SQUEEZES past – completely in her own world.

Now with a ridiculous uncalled for ‘near-miss’ like that on my brand new Pony, I am a tiny bit ticked. As I straighten out the wheel its about 18 feet to the end of the lane – have to turn right then left to get around the building. So I lean on it a bit. Not ROMP on it – just lean on it a bit.

Well, I have been digging the TCS on the car cause in general driving, pulling out hard into traffic, making a quick u-turn on a busy street, getting on the gas makes the tires squeal a bit but that’s it – never broken loose. Power comes up and I am on my way. Did two half-assed tries in over 1,400 miles (automatic obviously) to spin the tires (not power braking – just getting heavy on the pedal) and the tires just bit pavement tight and nothing – a tiny squeak and that’s it.

What I didn’t really notice in THIS case however was the black sealant/covering the restaurant must have re-done their parking lot with last time they refinished the surface……

Anyway, I lean on the gas a bit and the revs come up, the tires break loose, tiny bit of rear end shimmy and I am laying down some LOUD rubber. Not what I was planning on doing – but sure sounded nice with the windows down. Maybe a second and a half’s worth TOPS – but with the exhaust yelling, probably sounded like more. Get out of it, come to a nice easy stop at the stop sign, turn right and proceed. Nice and casual. My friend is saying something from the passenger seat and as I make the immediate left to head to the parking lot exit…….. THAT’S when the Palm Beach Sheriff’s siren yelps at me from behind.

:angry:

What the?!?!?

Lovely. I pull over and this guy gets out starts talking to me like I’d just tried to sideswipe him or something. Asks for my materials and I give ‘em. He’s staying back behind the driver’s door as he talks to me – I’m in the middle of corporate lunch time and dressed in khakis and a long sleeve dress shirt but, okay. Those guys need to be careful I guess – just found that funny.

Starts giving me the third degree about what’s the deal with the ‘display of power’ other than a ‘lack of patience with the elderly’. Where am I going, you know you just did that right in front of two police officers, etc….

I told him we work right around the corner, and that I am sorry officer but the car is brand new and I truthfully did not expect it to do that (not mentioning that if I had really wanted to do that and I knew that two cops were sitting right there, which of course I didn't, would I have dumb enough to go ahead and light them up front and center for them to watch the show?... and in all seriousness, I was NOT expecting the spin them with how much gas I gave it.)

After a minute of looking over the license, making some comment to his partner on the other side of the car, he gives me my stuff back and grunts ‘C’mon – be smart – you gotta get it under control, alright?’

Just crazy cause the LAST thing I had planned was having my first run-in with The Law in this car to be in a restaurant parking lot over a tiny baby burn out – that I wasn’t planning on doing in the first place.

And of course, afterwards I thought about that fact that had it happened a day later, it might have been a whole different story had he noticed the expired temp tag.

Oh well - stuff happens, right?
Old 1/19/05, 01:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Breathe deeply...get a Coke...and relax. I would have "leaned" on it a little too after an AARP member did that to me, too.
Old 1/19/05, 05:19 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did that in my '73 Mach.... going through an itersection car on the other side seemed like it was going straight, NO turn signal of course.... Guy whips a left in front of me and I had to nail my brakes! Pissed at this point I jump on it hard, hand and finger out the window and smoke rollin' from the back wheels, cop see's me and pulls me over. I didn't get a ticket. It was just one of those days........
Old 1/19/05, 05:50 PM
I Have Admin Envy

What a story...
Old 1/19/05, 06:20 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
did you get your plates in time?
Old 1/19/05, 07:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Wrong place Wrong time. Be happy you got out of there clean and watch out for those old women as they live in a world of their own. Only one thing worst is for them to be on a cell phone and drive too LOL
Old 1/19/05, 07:25 PM
GT Member

Cool

I've got two quick stories where similar stuff happened... both a while back in 67 Stang. I lived in Texas about an hour from the coast, so sometimes we would decide to go at 2 or 3 in the morning.

One time (I guess that it was a bit later at night) because the sun was up when we got there, we could drive and park on the beach so after driving straight there I decided to use the sand to help me turn around to face the gulf. Seriously, we're talking a little spin that was just enough to straighten up the car... like 8 o'clock to 6 o'clock angle (the 2 hour angle of course, not the 22 hour one).

Just squeeking out a smidge of fun while parking and a cop pulls up. Over his megaphone "driver, step of the car please." I walked over and I swear he said, "pretty good, Mary-O Andreeti" (EXACTLY LIKE THAT!) and then "let me see your license and registration." This guy didn't even get out of the car... I had to walk back to mine and then back to his to get my ticket! Hopefully, he has since been prescribed a Hoveround that does .2 MPH!

-

The other story (again absolutely true!)... I had parked my Mustang after years of fun because it was in pretty bad shape and needing $ that I didn't have, but I refused to sell it. I would try to drive it once or twice a month to keep it running and this time it happened to be Christmas Eve.

I had a friend following me up to a convienience store and when we turned into the parking lot I saw a huge water puddle. We were going slow but I cranked the wheel right to wet the left tires and the cranked it left to wet the right. My friend pulled over to the side either because he knew exactly what I was doing OR he was trying to make sure I saw the cop that pulled in right behind him.

It was too late. I'm sure he wouldn't have even shown up in my rear view with the slow, tight turns I was making. So... very much like the sand I punched it and was loving this perfect 180. I stopped the spin perfectly but at that point I was literally nose-to-nose with the police car!

I kind of limped the rest of the 180 back around and pulled into a parking spot. The cop got out, walked up to the car and said, "and I told myself I wasn't gonna write a ticket on Christmas Eve."

My friend is laughing his butt off, I'm pissed, and could only say... "well, you don't HAVE too."

The cop said, "ha, well sir, that was exhibition of accelleration... and you did that right in front of me..."

ALL TRUE!

Oh well, it was fun... IN YOUR FACE!!! and I'd like to apologize to my friend for being mad at him laughing... looking back that was absolutely priceless!!!
Old 1/19/05, 08:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Great stories! Dave - let us know if you get your plates tomorrow!
Old 1/19/05, 09:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My head is spinning!
Old 1/19/05, 09:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Pretty funny stories you guys! As for the officer standing back behind the window, it's standard procedure since you never know who or what is in the car regardless of the clothing. It's always the one you don't suspect that usually gets ya. Also, you wouldn't believe how many people do that stuff right in front of us and you just know they had to see ya sitting there. I had two people line and race not 10ft from my patrol car one time and swear they never saw me. Granted I work at night but our cars are white so they aren't invisible. Anyway, just wanted to let you know what it's like from the other side and it's nothing personal.
Old 1/19/05, 09:20 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

A friend came off a turn at a light in his 04 Saleen... his accelerator spring snapped JUST as he gives it some gas to make the turn. The pedal kept going down, and he knows the best way to save himself is to go with it, kill the engine. When he is done with the 360, he is safely out of traffic, engine killed. He, of course is not happy. Better? There was a cop across the street. The cop came up to the drivers door, and said, "So, I know you saw me, and I know you didnt do that little spin out to show me how well you drive, what broke? And, are you alright?"

The TCS doesnt work that well when you just armour-alled the tires... LOL..
Old 1/19/05, 09:26 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

I have never had a cop hang back when I get pulled over... But, its probably because as soon as I get the lights, I pull over, kill the engine, and place both hands on the steering wheel. The hands stay there until the officer asks for the items he needs, and then before removing my hands, I explain where those items are. By the time they have asked for anything, they have already crouched down, and they have left thier weapon snapped... Growing up around several officers, I learned how to make them nice and relaxed!
Old 1/19/05, 09:47 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Ok Ok--------This is pre mustang, but I can play.....

When I was 17 my father had bought me a camaro(well no, I paid for the gas, payment and insurance).......I worked at the mall and was going home after work. It happened to be raining that night, and I was trying to be responsible and stop at the redlight. However, being 17 and not really knowing how to handle a RWD car, the backend loosens and turns me sideways. (OK now I am 31 3/4 and STILL can't handle one in the rain, but thats another story)

Next thing I know the lights are on and the cops are there. I explained to them between tears I had just gotten the car, etc etc......They went back to make sure I wasn't a fugitive, came back said and I quote "this is your lucky day we left our ticket book back at the station" I kid you not.

I am guessing being female has its points, because I have been pulled over infinite times and not gotten a ticket. My husband may as well open an account at the local police station.

My mother in law is retired PD, it still angers her if I bring that up.
Old 1/20/05, 02:37 PM
Big Falken Tires

I hear ya Treadhead - I am actually quite in support of law enforcement officers and what they have to go through everyday on the job..... just in this case, when I was sitting on the OTHER side of things, it threw me for a sec you know?
{and once again, I love your M1A1 avatar - now that's heavy metal!}

There are some GREAT other stories here - nice to know there are others with the same 'bad luck RIGHT in front of a peace offcier' mojo going on....

My Fed Ex letter arrived with my plate today - now I just have to mount the darn thing!!!

Still PO'd about my paperwork sitting for a month - I ordered personalized plates so I'll use the one they got me now for the time being and wait while my order goes in today for the personalized ones.... the sales manager from the dealership called me TWICE today to make sure I got my plate and to let me know everything was being taken care of though - he's a great guy. As for some of the other employees there.... eeehhhh...... not on my good side right now... B)
Old 1/20/05, 04:24 PM
Queen Of Nascar

Dave do you have a headache yet...bad day you've had. I would have been sweating bullits at the old lady. Glad your story had a happy ending as in no ticket and no damage. You should go home and have a drink.
Old 1/20/05, 07:14 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally posted by Donna@January 20, 2005, 5:27 PM
Dave do you have a headache yet...bad day you've had. I would have been sweating bullits at the old lady. Glad your story had a happy ending as in no ticket and no damage. You should go home and have a drink.
Yeah, I was sweating bullets alright when that lady kept coming forward.... funny thing is, after the 'run in' was over, I was laughing about it on the drive back to work - just my kinda luck.

Hey, I like the running Pony mod on your Stang! Sweet!
Old 1/20/05, 09:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

It's all good Dave. There have been many days that I wished I had an M1A1 at work!
Old 1/21/05, 11:18 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally posted by Treadhead@January 20, 2005, 10:10 PM
It's all good Dave. There have been many days that I wished I had an M1A1 at work!
eace:

I'll bet! Right?.....

Get a little HEAT or Sabot round action goin'.....

"On the waaaaaaaay......"