2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

First Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/05, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for when I check out my car before signing the paperwork, etc...? Also, I know I should take it for a test drive, but what should I be looking/listening for then? And what do I do if something is wrong?

I tried to search to see if this issue has been definitively discussed, but I'm not very good at searching the forum. :scratch: If a thread is out there, let me know.
Old 8/19/05, 09:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts
I'll be looking for fit and finish issues. Anything mechanical will hopefully make itself obvious test-driving the car.

I'll try operating everything and make sure it all works.

Most of the new Mustangs I have seen looked pretty darn good. I did drive a V6 with loose trim over the passenger door. That's the kind of stuff I want to catch before driving it off. And obviously look for any signs of damage and repair.

I am going to try and make myself take my time with it and not rush to sign the paperwrk and drive off.
Old 8/19/05, 10:11 PM
GT Member

Here are some posts i found that might help.. the first one has a whole checklist of stuff.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....pic=22248&st=0

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....opic=4478&st=0
Old 8/19/05, 10:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Crowestang@August 19, 2005, 4:15 PM
Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for when I check out my car before signing the paperwork, etc...? Also, I know I should take it for a test drive, but what should I be looking/listening for then? And what do I do if something is wrong?

I tried to search to see if this issue has been definitively discussed, but I'm not very good at searching the forum. :scratch: If a thread is out there, let me know.
This is the honest to god truth. I purchased a new 996 Porsche last year. Before signing the papers, I did a detailed inspection of the exterior, paint, check for dings and so on. Everything was good to go.

I spent about an hour waiting to get the contract signed. I drove the car home and put it in the garage. The next morning, when I went to take it out of the garage, I noticed that the rear bumper had like a blister on it.

Well, I guess when I was signing the contract at the dealership, someone hit my car.

Moral of the story is to check-out the car before you buy and sign the contract, then check it again before you leave the dealership.

IMHO
Old 8/20/05, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the input and links to other posts. My fear is that I'm sure as soon as I see my car, I'm going to want to shake hands with the dealer, jump into it Dukes of Hazzard style and fly away from the lot as fast as possible!

At least now I can have a mental checklist to run through before signing off on the purchase.
Old 8/20/05, 09:01 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by mffarrell@August 20, 2005, 12:29 AM
This is the honest to god truth. I purchased a new 996 Porsche last year. Before signing the papers, I did a detailed inspection of the exterior, paint, check for dings and so on. Everything was good to go.

I spent about an hour waiting to get the contract signed. I drove the car home and put it in the garage. The next morning, when I went to take it out of the garage, I noticed that the rear bumper had like a blister on it.

Well, I guess when I was signing the contract at the dealership, someone hit my car.

Moral of the story is to check-out the car before you buy and sign the contract, then check it again before you leave the dealership.

IMHO
Are you saying the dealer didn't fix the rear bumper for free?

Yes, inspect the car but don't go insane trying to be certain you've covered everything. A checklist is a great idea but if you miss something simply bring it to the dealer's attention as soon as possible. A good dealers will do the work even if there's some doubt as to the origin of the problem.
Old 8/20/05, 09:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Be sure to check the underside rocker panels... some of the haulers have a large drop that the bottom will drag on.... I was witness to this..... not too pretty seeing your car stuck and won't go forward.... then the big n hairy dud putting it in reverse and burning the tires trying to back it up!! """"SKRRRRAPPPE
Old 8/20/05, 10:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by DiamondBlue@August 20, 2005, 10:04 AM
Are you saying the dealer didn't fix the rear bumper for free?

Yes, inspect the car but don't go insane trying to be certain you've covered everything. A checklist is a great idea but if you miss something simply bring it to the dealer's attention as soon as possible. A good dealers will do the work even if there's some doubt as to the origin of the problem.

The dealer did fix the bumper, however, it created more problems. While in the body shop, my passenger door got sandblasted by someone who was grinding too close to my car. So now I have a situation where I paid alot of money for a car, only to have a diminished value b/c I now have a painted bumper, door, and quarter panel (blend paint to match the door).

Just be careful!