2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Finally...

Search this Thread

Old 12/12/08 | 06:26 PM

Finally...

Warning: long read, but a good story!

Well, ordering a new Mustang never worked out for me, I had some unexpected expenses pop up and I really didn't feel comfortable adding a car to that pile, so I waited. Ended up seeing a less than amazing raise due to "the economy" as well, so I decided a new mustang wasn't going to be the route for me.

After a good bit of time of tracking used cars on auto trader I finally found some that were what I wanted...and every single one of them sold out from under me. I started to think that a new car just wasn't going to happen at all. I really started to get worried when my current car decided that it wasn't being nearly enough of a lemon before so it was really going to up its game...

Suddenly however, a few days ago, I stumbled on something that sounded to incredible to be real, a 2009 Mustang GT, black with white stripes, automatic, spoiler delete, listed with 20 miles, USED. Wow I thought, no way! I checked the car fax and it was clean...hmm, curiouser and curiouser! So I called the dealership and the guy tells me "oh...sory....uh that's a typo." "Ok" I reply, "what was the error?" "uh...it's...a 2004." "That's odd" I said, looking at the pictures, "It's an s-197 body and I can clearly see a 45th anniversary badge on the side"

(insert a long pause)

"There's pictures?" "Yes, I'm looking at them right now."

"oh...well it's weird, that car...it just like, it just showed up one day. It's a mistake, sorry."

Hmmm...how suspicious I thought. So I took his name and found another internet salesman online and called back a few days later. "Sure we have it, would you like to come by and see it?" He says. Wow, so it's not a hallucination then, the fact that I could plainly see the dealership in the background of the pictures had not led me astray...So I set an appointment and confirmed that they would let me have it inspected by a mechanic. I arrived at the dealership and it looked stunning. I start to talk details and then suddenly he informs me that they "cant let it off the lot, it's a GT, a sports car, after all!" "Ok, thanks for your time then. I have a bit of a drive home, I'd like to beat rush hour." That seemed to leave an impression and the sales man ran off to his manager. I received a little more friction and said "hey, can you just come with me? Or drive it there yourself?" Somehow that made all the difference in the world. He came with, though I was allowed to drive it. The mechanic was amazing, a real muscle car buff and awesome guy (I'm a customer for life now for sure), and they checked it out, and to their shock and amazement it came up absolutely perfect! Neither of us could believe it, the guy ended up cutting 30 bucks off the price "to go with my incredible luck" and I went back to the dealership.

After talking some numbers and feeling pretty good about them the dealer comes up with an offer from financing...and if I had any liquids in my mouth I would have surely spat it out.

"How about 68 months, and 690 a month?"

I could have had a heart attack. That would have practically DOUBLED the end price...Well, after about 3 hours of fun negotiating I got it back down to the original price on autotrader (which was borderline ridiculous) and locked my terms in. The poor guy didn't seem like much of a salesmen and you could just feel his desperation. Well, after another hour or two of waiting numbers finally came back from "the financing guys" (what a load of bs) and it ended up being like half of what I had forced him into...Dont get me wrong, I was estatic...but ?!! 3 hours of negotiating, him insisting I would never get that kind of rate (great credit, but very young with no major loans), I managed to get a WAY better deal than I had even been asking for...

So I buy the car and the rest is history. Turned out the TRIP odometer said 20, actually had 50 (I think I'll live), but otherwise it was insane. Full 3/36,000 warranty plus a certified used warranty to boot! Honestly the deal was so good that I wouldn't have gone through with it if that mechanic wasn't so amazing. It even still had the plastic on it! Apparently the car was a show car for a month or so then ford fazed it out for the 2010 and put it up on auction from Michigan. I think I can handle a few hundred fingerprints for that kind of price drop...

Anyway, here are some pictures! (will get nicer ones eventually but these are from my phone for now), and thanks a ton for all the awesome information I've absorbed through this place! You guys are the greatest and I wouldn't have known half of the stuff I needed to know about the car to make an educated purchase!
Attached Thumbnails Finally...-stang02a.jpg   Finally...-stang03a.jpg  
Old 12/12/08 | 07:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I have to comment on the dealership so I get it outta the way: I would not have let them have my money with that stupid a first offer. I would have walked and never been back. There would be other Mustangs, it's only a matter of time. I mean seriously, what kind of an idiotic sales staff comes up with a term total deal of $47000 for a GT?! What worries me more is that there's some idiot who would say "sure!"... sad.

Now then... sounds like you're a happy camper, and that is the most important thing! Gratz on your new ride, pretty thing you have there... You need more pics. See my thread below. Gotta name picked out yet?

/Ooh, check it... The Vision 21 system was up when they did your temp tags. Nice. It's been a wavy ride on that thing for us, off and on...
Old 12/12/08 | 07:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Dan, congrats bud! Thats an amazing find!!! Especially a car with 13D-Spoiler Delete!! Let the modding begin!!

Sorry to hear about all the BS you had to put up with at the dealer! 3 hours of negotiating? Thats just plan STUPID on their account! To compare, I sold a car today, and from the time they stepped into my office, to when they left the business office (to check my numbers only, as it was a cash deal), total time was about 20 minutes. And 5 of it was the customer calling their relative to see if they wanted to buy the trade-in? That store should be ashamed of themselves! And the salesperson? WTF? I try to NEVER keep a customer at the dealer this long, as all it does is get the customer angry!!Its places like this, that give my career a BAD NAME!

Last edited by 05fordgt; 12/12/08 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12/12/08 | 10:51 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Dan, awesome find. So glad you ended up getting a good deal in the long run. Like Jeff mentioned, dealers that waste customers' time for hours on end really give dealers, in general, a bad name. Too bad it still happens. I work for a Ford dealership that is a "one price" store, meaning we post a deeply discounted price upfront on everything we sell and do not negotiate a penny off of that low, discounted price. Keeps the whole transaction fast, fair, and fun. Typically, once a customer decides which car they want, they are done with paperwork and driving home in under an hour. My wife bought a new car a few weeks ago and we took about 20-30 minutes to do all the paperwork and such. Every dealership should be that easy going and streamlined.

Anyway, congrats on the '09 GT. I hope you've planned on some money for mods!!!
Old 12/13/08 | 12:23 AM

Actually, all told I was at the dealership almost exactly 6 hours. Got there at about 1:25pm and left at 7:19pm. Granted, 30-40 minutes of that was spent with a mechanic (with only a 10 minute drive there and back), but I have still never been a part of anything that excessive before.

Truth be told though, if there wasn't some kind of snag in the process it would have seemed way too easy...I guess it felt more like I earned that deal as a result of how many hoops I had to jump through, ha ha. When he shot me that first offer I was getting pretty close to leaving, but I just couldn't walk away from would could (and eventually did) become such an incredible offer when it looked like the guy clearly had no idea what he was doing. In the end I'll happily take ~$7,000 in savings for ~6 hours of my time when it comes to finally getting my dream car!

edit: Oh, and as I had been researching the car for the last six or seven months (obsessive? naahhh) I think I came across every mod on the market (and bookmarked half of them), but as I stood in front of the car staring at it...I really felt so happy with it as it is that I couldn't think of a single thing to do to it. Eventually I came to my senses and thought about adding the bullet exhaust and a CAI though ha ha ha. Maybe eventually swap the white stripes for full body dark gray metallic ones and adding a GT/CS chin spoiler and diffuser...But really I cant do anything but smile about how it looks bone stock for now.

I actually have a friend at work who has his old gray/graphite wheels from his 06 Roush (he's riding on nidos/steeda wheels now...mmm nice) that he offered to give me, and even help me put them on...for free! Easily the coolest guy on the planet. I asked him if he wanted my wheels in trade and he said "hey, they're just sitting in storage. I'd rather you use up the rubber than have it rot off and go to waste." If there was some way I could give the guy a gold medal for being awesome, I would.

Last edited by MetalMustang; 12/13/08 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12/13/08 | 09:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nice looking pony Dan...Have fun with it!
Old 12/13/08 | 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

So what was the final price?!? Congrats!
Old 12/13/08 | 10:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

metalmustang,

Glad you finally scored a Stang....and all the better that you got a great deal. I know you were originally looking at Grabber Orange, but as a fellow owner of black Mustangs, I have to biasedly (I think I may have just made up that word....biasedly?) say black is the best looking color. Great find and welcome to the Mustang owners club!

Old 12/14/08 | 05:51 AM
Cobra R Member

Congrats! ....and what about your first mod.
Old 12/14/08 | 07:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Poco
Congrats! ....and what about your first mod.
+1! Good question! Exhaust and CAI/Tune would be 1 and 1a.
Old 12/14/08 | 11:35 AM

Sweet car! All the features I like, especially no spoiler.
Old 12/14/08 | 12:25 PM

Thanks Guys! I was really set on Grabber Orange for a while but a few days earlier I had pulled up next to a black GT on the street and thought "hmm, yeah that is awesome." I couldn't believe I found one with spoiler delete too, so fate made it an easy choice.

Since my exhausts are a little uneven in length I was thinking about doing a real cheap mod of getting some take-off rolled stainless ones. I was looking at the Bullitt ones and a few others, but I already feel bad enough about how it sounds as it is. One of my friends has a Solstice GXP and he has been driven to looking at new pipes/exhaust because he cant stand how nice the GT sounds! Ha ha.

I was looking at some new gauges though, I have a hard time reading the numbering on them on a quick glance, and with all this new power I have to look down at it a lot! I was on the highway and thought I was only doing 50 and it turned out I was closer to 80! Had to do a little slowing down ha ha
Old 12/14/08 | 02:58 PM
legacy Tms Member

congrats! is it a stick or automatic?
Old 12/14/08 | 07:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Stories like this make me glad I have access to Ford's A-Plan pin numbers. No hassles, no negotiating, all the incentives, sometimes even more. Since I'm used to paying the A-plan price, I can just call the dealership and ask them if they have the car I want or ask them to find it. For my GT, I ordered it over the phone, waited 3 months and picked it up with the sale price already determined. Went in, signed 4 times, and drove home. Congrats on the new Stang.
Old 12/14/08 | 08:52 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Hey Dan, just want to say congrats, and although you had to put up with that greedy and incompetent sales associate for over 3 hours. The important thing, is you stood your ground and didn't take any crap from them. And in the end, it was you who persevered. As you got yourself one heck of a deal, on your new 2009 GT.

In the meantime, I hope you'll enjoy your new Mustang for many years to come.

-Rocky
Old 12/15/08 | 01:10 PM
JRT
V6 Member

Congrats on the Mustang and welcome to the club.
I am wondering, what was the selling price of the car, did you have a trade in?