Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed inspection - Evap System - Not Ready Catalyst - Not Ready

Search this Thread

Old 4/16/08, 02:32 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed inspection - Evap System - Not Ready Catalyst - Not Ready

Well... I have been sneaking around at night to put miles on my car after changing out the battery over winter and today I took it to get inspected. My fail notice says Evaporative System - Not ready and Catalyst - Not Ready.

Lets start with mods. 93 Tune from Doug, C&L Racer, delete plates, UDP's and Borla Stingers. Oh yeah and a 1 piece alum DS but that's got nothing to do with it.

Have I just not put enough miles on the car after changing the battery or might it be because I changed the tune from 93 Race to 93 Torque and back to 93 Race less than 70 miles ago?

Last edited by Trooper4985; 4/16/08 at 02:34 PM.
Old 4/16/08, 03:23 PM
Cobra Member

Doug just wrote up a post about this, don't know why it wasn't made a sticky. I can't find it now.

In short you need to load the stock tune, then run the car about 50 miles. I don't want to misquote but IIRC the tuner bypasses alot of the "readiness" checks the computer runs at start up. So thats probably the problem.
Old 4/16/08, 03:30 PM
GT Member

Thanks... I'm gonna have to buy a simple delete plate tune from doug because the car runs like crap on the stock tune.
Old 4/16/08, 05:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just talk to Doug he will make you a tune that will pass inspection.

Earl
Old 4/16/08, 06:07 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
Just talk to Doug he will make you a tune that will pass inspection.
Earl
+1
Old 4/20/08, 08:31 AM
GT Member

Fixed

Doug Emailed me with a new tune the day after I E-mailed him with my problems. Yet again... Doug comes through with excellent service.
Old 4/21/08, 08:33 AM

Why do you guy insist on begging for violations? It's much more likely that an inspector is going to give you a break if you aren't trying to cheat the system and admit to being in the wrong. Inspectors very seldom write people who have a good attitude and are honest but they have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to modifications. Inspector's beliefs about modifications is that you have been given far too many warnings already so you aren't getting one from them. Do the crime... do the time.
Old 4/21/08, 01:22 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FasterThanRice
Why do you guy insist on begging for violations? It's much more likely that an inspector is going to give you a break if you aren't trying to cheat the system and admit to being in the wrong. Inspectors very seldom write people who have a good attitude and are honest but they have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to modifications. Inspector's beliefs about modifications is that you have been given far too many warnings already so you aren't getting one from them. Do the crime... do the time.
Ha! Good one... That's outstanding. It's not a violation to not pass inspection the first time around... or the 100th time around... it's just an additional $11 for every re-inspection. BWT... no one is cheating... There is nothing in this state that says you can't play with the intake and computer tune for better performance so I'm not trying to avoid detection of my wanton disregard for public order.

The tune works just fine now and all my readiness sensors are coming on. Now if I were to goto my buddy's shop who does BS inspections for his friends when I knew that all the equipment required for inspection, was not in propper working order... that would be wrong.
Old 4/21/08, 06:24 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trooper4985
Ha! Good one... That's outstanding. It's not a violation to not pass inspection the first time around... or the 100th time around... it's just an additional $11 for every re-inspection. BWT... no one is cheating... There is nothing in this state that says you can't play with the intake and computer tune for better performance so I'm not trying to avoid detection of my wanton disregard for public order.

The tune works just fine now and all my readiness sensors are coming on.
Now if I were to goto my buddy's shop who does BS inspections for his friends
when I knew that all the equipment required for inspection, was not in propper working order... that would be wrong.
I hope you are following proper police protocol and turn him in..He is breaking the law........
Old 4/21/08, 06:36 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by FasterThanRice
Kid...
I don't know where you come from, but around here it is pass or fail.
No inspection station gives a "break" to anyone.
It is not up to the inspector to make a call and they don't care about mods.
The machine does the test and that is that.
Not a crime to fail, it just costs more.
Old 4/21/08, 09:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
I hope you are following proper police protocol and turn him in..He is breaking the law........
Maybe I should have put "buddy" in quotes... I don't think there is any way to BS (lick and stick) an inspection anymore in NY since your car's computer is hooked up to another computer and DMV can monitor all inspections. I go to a family friend for my inspections but he is strictly by the book... wont even overlook O/R H when I do headers.... so I have to get a catted H for inspections.