2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Everyone thinks my Fogs are Highbeams

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/07, 07:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I tried driving at night with just the foglamps and they don't shine down the road enough to be glare from a distance. However, there is a light of light above the horizontal, which I suspect might be one reason other drivers are flashing their high beams.

I've had people ask me if I installed the foglamps. The S197 has been out on the market for almost 3 years and I don't understand why some people think they are aftermarket foglamps.
Old 6/9/07, 07:37 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by ford4v429
hmm, I will need to read up on that one...I'd be curious then how ford was allowed to have them work only with low beams on...
Because you don't use highbeams in fog.
Old 6/9/07, 07:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Lots of newer cars and trucks come with fog lamps nowadays, and I see people running with them on all the time. You'd think people would be used to it by now. I think a possible reason for the confusion is that most other vehicles fog lamps are mounted lower, whereas when people see them in the grill, as has been pointed out, they think they're the highbeams. I agree totally with the points made about trucks/SUV's and especially the HID's. Those things drive me nuts. I ussally don't flash em when they're coming at me, cause then the moron gives me the high beams and I really can't see.
Old 6/9/07, 07:48 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 98YELLOWGT
Fog lights are to be used just like highbeams the laws in all 50 states require you to turn them off when in oncoming traffic, unless in foggy conditions.
If this is turn, they 50% of cars equiped with fog lights are breaking the law every night. Every car I've ever owned has had fog lights and I've always run them. Never been pulled over because of it.
Old 6/9/07, 07:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by davisinla
Exactly!

Someone on the board put an inexpensive yellow tint over them that I was going to order, but I can't find the link to the product.
These have worked very well for me, Harman's ShowLenses at

http://showlenses.com/
Attached Thumbnails Everyone thinks my Fogs are Highbeams-img_0065.jpg   Everyone thinks my Fogs are Highbeams-img_3086.jpg   Everyone thinks my Fogs are Highbeams-img_3088.jpg   Everyone thinks my Fogs are Highbeams-img_3648.jpg   Everyone thinks my Fogs are Highbeams-img_3650.jpg  

Everyone thinks my Fogs are Highbeams-img_3654.jpg  
Old 6/9/07, 08:08 AM
GT Member

Cool

Originally Posted by jeffgall
If this is turn, they 50% of cars equiped with fog lights are breaking the law every night. Every car I've ever owned has had fog lights and I've always run them. Never been pulled over because of it.
But how high on the vehicle were the (fog) lights and are they really fog lights or are they running/driving lights.
Since the stangs lights are at a higher level they are blinding to some on coming drivers.
So I'm just gonna say if you get flashed be nice and turn them off till you pass.
I turn mine on in daylight and leave them off at night.
Backing out of your driveway is illegal but unless you crash into somebody you won't get pulled over for it.
Ask one of your local LEOs.
Old 6/9/07, 08:16 AM
GT Member

Cool

Originally Posted by semperfi65

Cool! Thanks for the link
Old 6/9/07, 08:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Do they sell selective yellow 9145 bulbs?

I'd be hesitant to put the yellow show lenses on because they will reduce your light output.
Old 6/9/07, 10:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ever since I moved my lights inboard with the SS grill, the oncoming traffic really don't get bothered. On occasion, I'll have some driver flash his highbeams at me, but for most part, with the lights inboard, the problem has stopped. Now for me, my grill is TECHINCALLY illegal in PA. Its the same law that was on the books back in 1967, which Shelby has problems with (why all states got inboard lights except PA and CA). I drive with them on all the time at night. Helps me see better.
Old 6/9/07, 10:22 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I solved my problem with people thinking my fog lights were high beams by making my fog lights high beams... Out in this part of the country, fog lights are only needed about 2 days a year anyway. But it gets dark every single day.
Old 6/9/07, 12:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The are driving lights, not fog lights. They really don't do much but illuminate the edges of the road in the immediate front of the car. They just look like they do more because the edges being lit make it look a lot brighter. I just ordered GTS covers for now until I decide on a grille or the GT500 front clip.
Old 6/9/07, 12:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

U shouldn't use high beams in fog so fog lights working with low beams is safe
Old 6/9/07, 02:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Where can I get the yellow showlenses without paying $20 for a min order?
Old 6/9/07, 03:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

You guys are not alone. Im constantley getting flashed becasue of that. But then when i flash them back with my REAL highbeams, they are in complete shock. LOL!
Old 6/9/07, 05:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by semperfi65

Thanks man...yea, that's the place!
Old 6/9/07, 05:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Has anyone gotten a ticket for using the yellow filters?
Old 6/9/07, 07:19 PM
GT Member

Cool

Originally Posted by metroplex
Has anyone gotten a ticket for using the yellow filters?
White and amber lights are the only two legal colors alowed to shine from the front of a motor vehicle excluding emergency vehicles.
Old 6/9/07, 07:35 PM

Personally, I haven't had any problems with driving with my fogs on at night. Usually, I have to flash on coming cars to turn off their high beams.
Old 6/9/07, 08:32 PM
GT Member

Everybody see's light differently. What might be good for you might not be good for someone wearing glasses, or the 80 year old man with failing health. The fact that the lights are named foglights should be a darn good giveaway as to what their intended usage is. The fact of the matter is, when you use your foglights you are putting extra lights in someone else's eyes over and beyond what the manuacturer specifications and DOT rules have allowed for in clear conditions. You are trying to justify looking cool by saying that you don't see how the foglights could possibly be blinding someone else, when in reality, nobody can account for what someone else see's.

Do I use my foglights? Hell yeah, they look cool as hell. I didn't get my SS center foglight grill to go to waste. The difference between me and most in here who have already posted, is that i'm willing to admit that I am potentially being an @sshole to certain drivers whereas most of you are denying it lol.

Did I mention that with the ss v6 center foglight grill, that I can use highbeams and fogs at the same time? However I don't do that, because then I would really be a jerk. Truth be told, i've never ever been flashed once, but I live in the city to, so the surrounding lights do a good job of drowning out the effects of light glare from cars.
Old 6/9/07, 09:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I got my smoke GTS fog covers in today. I'm putting in my HID conversion tomorrow and the fogs are relegated to daytime running lights untill they go away entirely.

Quick Reply: Everyone thinks my Fogs are Highbeams