Search this Thread

Old 4/25/04, 09:08 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Boomer@Apr. 26th, 2004, 3:08 AM
Has anyone driven the 05? no
Reserve Judgement...yet again
We need "Welcome to next year" and "Your a fortune teller are you?" smiles.
Old 4/25/04, 09:16 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah exactly....

It's like saying "Beer sucks" because the one time you had it..the one brand you had...you didn't like. Doesn't mean all beer sucks.
Know whatimsayin

Same goes for the Solid axle sucks.
Sure...but you have no idea how the new car is going to ride...IRS or not Someone make up a 'Fortune Teller Union Card' jpg so we can post it anytime someone comes out and says something sucks without ever experiencing it
(I'm just ribbing everyone )
Old 4/25/04, 09:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Lincoln LS has DBW .. maybe that might be an indicator of how well it will work on the Mustang. I'm with the "welcome to next year" group, though.
Old 4/25/04, 09:18 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Maybe I'll make a fortune teller smiley later this week.

For now:

Old 4/25/04, 09:19 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

We could make it that anyone who's preceived to be a fortune teller, gets that as their avatar. LOL.
Old 4/25/04, 10:07 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
hahah, thats classic...
Like it.
So it shall be
Old 4/25/04, 10:28 PM
Bullitt Member

As long as they keep the throttle response the same as a wire, I'll be happy. I don't want to wait for a computer to realize that I've floored it!
Old 4/26/04, 05:34 AM
GT Member

Well went and drove a LS this weekend and all I can say is if the mustang has this.....I wont be getting one!! It suckes there is a ''lag'' as what you would get with a turbo. Now for those that would say theres something wrong with that car....I drove 4 of them and all of them did the same thing. So as I said before if the mustang is like this count me out!! :notnice:
Old 4/26/04, 06:50 AM

Just a question to those that tested the LS and BMW: were they manual transmissions or autos? If automatics, it may have been the trans lagging and not the throttle.
Old 4/26/04, 10:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Retardking@Apr. 26th, 2004, 8:53 AM
Just a question to those that tested the LS and BMW: were they manual transmissions or autos? If automatics, it may have been the trans lagging and not the throttle.
All Lincoln LS's are automatics now. They havn't had a manual since 2002 and they were only in the V6. I have never driven the V6 with manual but the V8 automatic does have the lag in it. It is kind of annoying, but after that 1/2 of a second it really takes off. It's perfectly OK for everyday driving, not so good for people who want to drag race.
Old 4/26/04, 12:37 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Retardking@Apr. 26th, 2004, 6:53 AM
All 4 Automatics SelectShift 5 speeds
Old 4/26/04, 03:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by f1-cobra+Apr. 26th, 2004, 10:44 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (f1-cobra @ Apr. 26th, 2004, 10:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Retardking@Apr. 26th, 2004, 8:53 AM
All Lincoln LS's are automatics now. They havn't had a manual since 2002 and they were only in the V6. I have never driven the V6 with manual but the V8 automatic does have the lag in it. It is kind of annoying, but after that 1/2 of a second it really takes off. It's perfectly OK for everyday driving, not so good for people who want to drag race. [/b][/quote]
Sounds more like a tranmission logic issue than DBW, IMO.
Old 4/26/04, 04:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by hatsharpener@Apr. 25th, 2004, 11:31 PM
As long as they keep the throttle response the same as a wire, I'll be happy. I don't want to wait for a computer to realize that I've floored it!
It is most likely 100 times + faster then what your foot can do. The new F-150 has it, ive driven hundreds of each, its much more linear. Vaccum and cable controls take time to react, computers can predict what you are trying to do. Just compare it to ABS and pumping them yourself.
Old 4/26/04, 06:47 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@Apr. 26th, 2004, 4:25 PM
It is most likely 100 times + faster then what your foot can do. The new F-150 has it, ive driven hundreds of each, its much more linear. Vaccum and cable controls take time to react, computers can predict what you are trying to do. Just compare it to ABS and pumping them yourself.
And ABS is something they can keep to I don't like it!! It caused me and 2 other friends of mine to have wrecks because it didn't stop it just tryed to let the tires not slide. ABS might be good on trucks but it's not worth a sh** on cars!!
Old 4/26/04, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

ABS and traction control are a mixed bag.

They let the idiot not hurt themselves, but don't let you do what you want to do when you need it.

The other day I needed to swing my back end around on the autcross and wouldn't have been able to do it with traction control. I can think of several instances where that would be necessary in a street situation where traction control would do more damage than good.
Old 4/26/04, 11:17 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Modern ABS systems have been shown to stop cars faster than any other braking setup. I've seen a few car shows studying this.

The main reason why is that when you lock your brakes and being to slide there is a reduction in the frictional force acting to bring your car to a stop.

I assume that the most recent ABS systems are able to pulsate quickly enough to minimize sliding, allowing you to stay on the threshold just before sliding occurs. This value will cause you to come to a stop quickest.

It CAN be done without ABS by knowing how to brake just hard enough that you won't induce a slide. This is the quickest way to stop.

However, in emergency situations one often does not have the composure to control braking this exactly and therefore ABS would be better in these circumstances.

ABS systems of the past are not the same as the most modern ones which are far more advanced. "This isn't your mother's ABS"

I personally wouldn't buy a car without it.
Old 4/26/04, 11:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Dan@Apr. 27th, 2004, 5:20 AM
I personally wouldn't buy a car without it.
I agree with that statement, however, I think that the gripe that we, as enthusiasts, have with the modern incarnations of traction control and abs is that they are designed for the lowest common denominator of drivers, not people who know how to push a car to it's limits.
Old 4/27/04, 06:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by ford1@Apr. 27th, 2004, 2:50 AM
And ABS is something they can keep to I don't like it!! It caused me and 2 other friends of mine to have wrecks because it didn't stop it just tryed to let the tires not slide. ABS might be good on trucks but it's not worth a sh** on cars!!
ABS actually causes the tires to slip at 10 to 30 percent of the time the wheel turns around one time, that produces the most efficient braking. ABS systems have saved many, many lives so far, because you are still capable of steering the car while braking. Here in Germany, and in many other european countries, there are laws which require new cars to be equipped with ABS (that was introduced 10 years ago or so)... I really don't understand why it is optional at all. A car is not more a true sports car if it doesn't have ABS... you may say that for traction controls, or active electronic stability programs, but not ABS... it's a very, very good invention
Old 4/27/04, 08:09 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Traction control and ABS are designed to benefit the majority of drivers. The clueless pea-brained people that tailgate during the rain and keep their foot on the gas in the snow. If you don't like either feature here are a few suggestions

1. When you don't want T/C turn it off, or get a kit that de-activates it.
2. If you don't like ABS, cut the wires and put some tape over
the ABS light on the dash, no more ABS.
Old 4/27/04, 12:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Galaxieboy@Apr. 27th, 2004, 2:12 PM
Traction control and ABS are designed to benefit the majority of drivers. The clueless pea-brained people that tailgate during the rain and keep their foot on the gas in the snow. If you don't like either feature here are a few suggestions
Thanks for adding examples

Quick Reply: Drive by wire?