The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   Drive by wire? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/drive-wire-386491/)

ford1 4/25/04 08:47 AM

So what do you guys think about the drive by wire insted of a cable? Just sounds like something else to go wrong to me :notnice:

Dan 4/25/04 08:56 AM

Maybe, but I think it will be fine. Ford knows enthusiasts want to "feel connected" to the car and they'll do a good job IMO.

This is another one of those, wait till you drive it threads.

Boomer 4/25/04 09:05 AM

Yeah, my parents 04 Grand Prix has it and...honestly..meh..its not so bad.
Don't really notice a difference, nor care...

I understand that some people may fear the idea that something electronic is controlling your throttle...

There are many saftey failsafes to the system...
From redundant data flow cables, return springs and diagnostics.

Dan 4/25/04 09:06 AM

Originally posted by Boomer@Apr. 25th, 2004, 3:08 PM
Yeah, my parents 04 Grand Prix has it and...honestly..meh..its not so bad.
Don't really notice a difference, nor care...

I understand that some people may fear the idea that something electronic is controlling your throttle...

There are many saftey failsafes to the system...
From redundant data flow cables, return springs and diagnostics.

I'd like a cable and it does sound like more things to break, but technology nowadays can be pretty good so I will reserve my judgement.

Galaxie 4/25/04 11:48 AM

The Ls1's in the'Vettes and bimmer's and MB engines have been using them for years... I am sure that it will be reliable

mr-mstng 4/25/04 11:53 AM

Everything in the coming years in going to be 'X'-by Wire. Brakes included. This way, more features such as collision avoidance systems can be better integrated into the vehicle. The electronic content in vehicles is still growing, and will probably not peak until ~2015. :geek:

Galaxie 4/25/04 12:07 PM

Rob, I do agree that it is going to far... I think they are over-complicating cars.

Look at the heavily computer-controlled electromechanical engines like in the 7-series. When one of those modules fails, or there is an electrical gremlin, it will take hours and lots of cash to fix.

In my experience a power-window motor can barely last 10 years, with all the dirt and vibration, these electronics are bound to fail. I am all for progress, but there is no point in reinventing the wheel.

Wombert 4/25/04 12:56 PM

Exactly... especially the previous 7-series models (not the new ones) had massive problems with electronics in the beginning. I just don't like the idea that a computer (maybe running Windows CE For Automotives) processes the fact that I stepped on the brake pedal...

DimitriPopov 4/25/04 01:02 PM

I simply think its a bad idea. Id rather be more physically connected to my control of the car. Isnt the beauty of a car its raw mechanics and your ability to physically connect with , control , and feel everything it does?

hippy 4/25/04 01:26 PM

I'm guessing when power steering, power assist brakes and abs came along people complained that these were unnecessary items that only made the car more complicated and contrary to popular opinion less safe. x-by wire is merely an adaption from aerospace, if you don't feel safe driving a car with a computer controlling the throttle via your inputs don't get on an airplane. As far as being 'in touch' with the car, or 'in control', don't you think a snazzy computer will be able to more precisely interpret what it is you want to do better than a push pull cable? Seems like less slop to me.

ManEHawke 4/25/04 01:27 PM

I doubt that the drive by wire will constrict anything. We saw it do a burn out. It will in fact put in less clutter to the throttle body, and will actually feel more accurate.
What i would hate is if the wire was connected to a computer, and would release throttle FOR you. But i doubt this since we have all seen the trilogy video.

A bad example is like the Hemi trucks, which dont even let you peel out. the Mustang isnt going to be bad.

crazyhorse 4/25/04 02:11 PM

Ijust bought my mom a Maxima with DBW. Couldn't tell a diff in the feel.

mr-mstng 4/25/04 02:49 PM

Originally posted by Galaxieboy@Apr. 25th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Rob, I do agree that it is going to far... I think they are over-complicating cars.

Look at the heavily computer-controlled electromechanical engines like in the 7-series. When one of those modules fails, or there is an electrical gremlin, it will take hours and lots of cash to fix.

In my experience a power-window motor can barely last 10 years, with all the dirt and vibration, these electronics are bound to fail. I am all for progress, but there is no point in reinventing the wheel.

Steve, to some extent, I agree, but I just went to a reliability workshop for the Automotive Electronics Council, and I know that the auto guys are serious on getting parts that are free from defects, and will hold up over the long haul. I guarantee that in most of the cars with these systems, you won't be able to tell the diff.

NVH is a concern, but I know that we do a lot of temp(-40 to 175 C) cycling to ensure that the parts can withstand the abuse.

Overall though, it is taking the ability of repairs out of the hands of the occasional enthusiast, but I remember when fuel injection came out and everyone said the same thing.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

hdwrench 4/25/04 05:05 PM

if you want something less complicated you could drive a carbureted 2 cylinder air cooled vehicle.

oh yeah... i guess i already do that it is called a harley.

kevinb120 4/25/04 05:47 PM

Its a step up on all counts, I would suspect also more reliable then a cable. Much more linear pedal to throttle feel.

dave_bought_another_black_stang 4/25/04 05:52 PM

Are you guys talking about the speedometer?
If so, the dealer service told me that it is read by computer now.

ManEHawke 4/25/04 06:21 PM

Originally posted by dave_bought_another_black_stang@Apr. 25th, 2004, 4:55 PM
Are you guys talking about the speedometer?
If so, the dealer service told me that it is read by computer now.

We are talking about how the accelerator pedal is connected to the throttle body electically, instead of by a cable.

GhostTX 4/25/04 08:03 PM

If its good enough for the F-16, F-19, F-22 and F-35 its good enough for my car.

jman 4/25/04 08:44 PM

I drove the new BMW 5 series with drive by wire and I hated it. There was a long delay while the computer was trying to ponder what you're trying to do when more than 1/2 throttle is rapidly applied. It made powering through a turn very difficult because timing throttle input is now a factor. running it through the auto-x course was much more difficult than it had to be. As someone who plans on buying the 2005 mustang, I'm not looking forward to this feature. I hope the after market takes care if this, should it be a problem.

Boomer 4/25/04 09:05 PM

Has anyone driven the 05? no
Reserve Judgement...yet again