2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Drag radial winter storage?

Search this Thread

Old 11/4/10, 06:34 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drag radial winter storage?

Is there anything special i should do for these tires over the winter? I keep my GT stored in the garage during the winter, but if there is a nice sunny day during the winter months I do get it out so I don't really want to take the wheels off the car. Just wanted to know some opinions or advice. Didn't know if an Ohio winter and unheated garage would hurt them.
Old 11/4/10, 06:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You may want to put the car up on jack stands, but if you use it a few times it could be a bit of a pain. Unheated could be an issue. Here is some info from Hoosier.

TIRE STORAGE
The useful life of a tire, whether mounted or dismounted, is directly affected by storage conditions. Tires should always be stored indoors in a dark, cool, dry room. DO

1 Remove the tires from the vehicle.
2. Remove the air from the tires and store them on their side in a cool/dark/dry environment.
3. Place tires in a black plastic bag when stored during the "off-season".
4. Make sure the temperature range in the storage location is between 40-90 degrees Fahrenheit.
Old 11/4/10, 07:12 PM
Cobra Member

I just had the same question after mounting my NT05Rs and a buddy of mine told me to just fill them up to 50 PSI before putting the away. He did this over several winters on M&Hs and had no issues.

That is my plan... and although my garage does not stay heated all winter, it is fully finished/insulated and the heat will be on when I am out there.
Old 11/4/10, 07:50 PM
GT Member

My garage is unheated, but usually doesn't get too cold. The tires are also filled with nitrogen, so i shouldn't have to worry about the pressure I guess. I have thought about getting a heater to install out in the garage. I guess my biggest worry was if the tires would be affected by the temperatures over time.
Old 11/4/10, 08:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you get a cold snap it will effect the tires compound, that is why the 40 degree is a minimum. The reason they want the pressurized air out of tire & bagged is because it contains a lot of moisture which can damage the inside of the tire. Nitrogen will help, but if you follow those above steps I think you will be rewarded come spring time.
Old 11/5/10, 07:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last year I put mine under the work bench in the basement, with the psi lowered to around 4-5, wrapped up in an old sleeping bag, and stacked on their side so the wheel has the weight. ..but I have mine mounted on a second set of wheels so it's pretty simple.

That reminds me.. I still have them in the garage from our last track outing. >.< Dammit!
Old 11/9/10, 02:04 AM

I was told to store my M/T's inside during the winter by the speed shop where i bought them.