2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Door Rattles?

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/08, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Rattles?

Hi Guys,
I just picked up my 07 GT CS Conv about a month ago and noticed a "rattle" sound in each door when going over bumps. It's not related to having the radio on but it seems to be coming from both doors. Any ideas or similar problems? Thanks for the help, everything on the car is great.
Old 2/20/08, 07:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Is the noise from the inside handle area? If so, there is a plastic plate behind it that seems to like to make its presence known. I used some weather stripping to silence the culprit. Also, you may start to hear some rattles and squeaks coming from the A-pillars eventually. Weather stripping behind those have done the trick for me as well.
Hope this helps some, if not, try to pinpoint where the rattle is coming from on or in the door. And post back.
Old 2/20/08, 08:09 PM

I assume you pulled off the door panels?
Old 2/20/08, 08:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GTMark,

What type and where did you put the weather stripping on the A-pillars? I have a definite vibration from there, usually while listening to the radio and men with deeper voices are talking. It drives me nuts, but I never seem to remember it when I am home and have time to dig into it!!!!
Old 2/21/08, 05:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

carnutny,
No you don't have to remove the entire door panel. Heres a thread with pics that should show you what I'm talking about.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...t=door+rattles
The only difference is that I used weather stripping (foam type and sticky on one side).

RRRoamer,
I used a foam type weather stripping (see above) and put a couple of small pieces on the inner sides of the A-pillar cover. So far it has worked beautifully. Also, those clips that secure the cover have potential to squeak so you might want to put something on those too. Just a thought.
Old 2/21/08, 10:05 AM
Bullitt Member

I reviewed the threat where the little plate behind the door handle is removed and then some double backing tape is put in there...only problem is what happens when you need to remove it for inside door issues? It won't be that easy to remove the small plate...any other suggestions?
Old 2/21/08, 10:24 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mark S.
I reviewed the threat where the little plate behind the door handle is removed and then some double backing tape is put in there...only problem is what happens when you need to remove it for inside door issues? It won't be that easy to remove the small plate...any other suggestions?
Using the foam insulation would have prevented that because it's only sticky on one side. The pressure it applies between the plate and the inside of the door stops the rattling. If you are concerned about the double sided tape being a problem in the future just remove it now and replace it with the foam insulation.
Old 2/21/08, 02:01 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could also be a loose subwoofer wire that is not taped or strapped down to anything. I had the same thing a few months back and figured out that was it. I just used some electrical tape to stick that wire loom down to the side of the subwoofer housing and it fixed it.
Old 2/22/08, 10:15 AM
TMS Legacy Member

I just used some felt self stick pads, get them at Home Depot.
Old 2/22/08, 01:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
I haven't had any problems with the double-sided tape. I had to remove the door panels about a month ago to put in some 4 way speakers and while it did take more effort to pull out, it wasn't that bad. the adhesive backing on the particular tape I got isn't that strong.
Old 2/22/08, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by GTMark052
carnutny,
No you don't have to remove the entire door panel. Heres a thread with pics that should show you what I'm talking about.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...t=door+rattles
The only difference is that I used weather stripping (foam type and sticky on one side).

RRRoamer,
I used a foam type weather stripping (see above) and put a couple of small pieces on the inner sides of the A-pillar cover. So far it has worked beautifully. Also, those clips that secure the cover have potential to squeak so you might want to put something on those too. Just a thought.
Thanks!! I'll try it tomorrow and let everyone know if it cures the problem.
Old 2/24/08, 09:50 AM

GTMARKO52: Thanks for the tip, your recommendation worked perfectly. 5 min mod and no more rattles!!!
Old 2/24/08, 11:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm glad it worked for you also. I had gotten that tip, along with countless others, here on the forum. It's amazing how creative these people are
Old 2/25/08, 01:34 PM
GT Member

It finally warmed up here enough for me to take a look at my doorhandles. Yep, that plastic plate behind was loose. 5 minutes later, some 3m tape and a screwdriver and I am no longer the victim of that horrible rattle. Thanks for the tip guys!
Old 2/27/08, 05:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I used PVC foam weatherstriping for the back of both panels.
Old 2/28/08, 10:22 AM
Cobra Member

I FINALLY found the source of my rattles: the metal speaker grill insert in the door. If I place the tip of my finger on while it is rattling, it stops instantly. It doesn't even take much pressure. Just enough to dampen it out.

I guess I get to pull the door panel off again and use a bit of silicon adhesive to quit this thing down!
Old 3/1/08, 10:20 AM
Cobra Member

I think I got it! I was a bit surprised when I took the door panel off and looked at the speaker grill. It is all one piece of injection molded plastic! No way that was rattling as there WAS no metal grill over the speaker!

The root problem was my aftermarket speakers. I had replaced the factory door speakers with a set fo Polk Audio MMC6500 component speakers. I mounted the speakers on a 1/4" thick acrylic plate that was mounted on the factory speaker mount.

If you look at the back of the door panel, there is a 1/4" tall plastic ridge running around the speaker grill opening. Part of that was resting up against the aluminum basket of the 6 1/2 driver. That driver had more than enough energy to push the door panel away at certain frequencies and the rattle was the door panel smacking back down on the basket.

I took a Dremel tool with the sanding drum and shaved down the plastic ridge in the two areas were it went over the speaker basket. That took about 30 seconds to complete.

After putting everything back together, all is silent. Hopefully it will stay that way!
Old 3/1/08, 03:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sounds good. Thats always good news to be able to stop one of those nagging rattles Some seem so easy to find, unti you actually look for them.