2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

doing your own maintenance/repair

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/08, 11:45 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
doing your own maintenance/repair

is it just me or do most car people feel more pride in their car when they maintain it themselves? ;p

i just cleaned/reoiled the air filter, cleaned the MAF sensor and the throttle body..and definately a nice difference.

afterwards i flushed the antifreeze and rotated the tires

still gotta change the oil again

did all the audio installs.. every except the fuel filter and tranny juice

but i definately feel a much greater sense of pride in the car..especially when people go.."where did you go to do the antifreeze or nav, etc" and you get to say ..my driveway lol

definately much cheaper too heh
Old 2/27/08, 11:47 AM
Bullitt Member

I Agree, wish I had a garage to do more work on our rides.

Dealers suck azz, 41 years experience talking...............
Old 2/27/08, 11:50 AM
Cobra Member

yea a garage and a hydrolic lift would kick *** lol
Old 2/27/08, 11:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jcopin
yea a garage and a hydrolic lift would kick *** lol
yes, better then sex.............
Old 2/27/08, 11:55 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely more pride when doing the work myself. I try to do as much as possible but certain things I know are out of my hands and best left to professionals (ie: installing 4.10 gears). However since my first car was a 77 Mustang II that I had the pleasure of replacing the motor 3 times in my driveway using an A-Frame, sometimes I don't have times for the bigger jobs so I have to just get someone else to do it. I have to admit though, I still haven't changed the oil in my car just because by the time I make ramps and finish the job it just wasn't worth my time. Man, have I gotten lazy over the years
Old 2/27/08, 11:56 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Talking

Originally Posted by YardSpecial
yes, better then sex.............
Guess that depends on your partner

I see I can get a lift for under $2,000.00 now. That would be sweet but if I got that I can pretty much kiss sex goodbye so I'd have to make sure I bought the best model available.
Old 2/27/08, 02:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

i know id like to do all my stuff but cant, no garage
Old 2/27/08, 02:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
Guess that depends on your partner

I see I can get a lift for under $2,000.00 now.
Is that how much a LIFE costs nowadays? Then, you should definately get a life!
Old 2/27/08, 02:55 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally Posted by Rebel73
Is that how much a LIFE costs nowadays? Then, you should definately get a life!

What do you mean?

Old 2/27/08, 05:08 PM
Cobra Member

Part of the reason I bought this car is so I COULD work on it and learn to do my own wrenching (more than I have done in the past anyway). Heck, I got a little excited today because I finally traced down a squeak that has been nagging at me for weeks (a bolt was slightly loose inside the side mirror).

Though, I haven't had the car long (well, this one anyway--had two others), so the excitement is still really high.

I for one certainly get a great sense of pride fixing/adding things myself, and it makes me enjoy the car even more.
Old 2/27/08, 07:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Heck I can check the air in my tires and check my oil, that's about it. Anything beyond that is over my head

Unfortunately I have to totally rely on others. I still have pride in my car though
Old 2/27/08, 08:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rampant
Part of the reason I bought this car is so I COULD work on it...
+1

I had never even changed my oil before I bought this car. Now I have torque wrenches, rhino ramps, jackstands, breaker bar, etc. I've had the whole interior apart for various reasons, installed my GTA mufflers, sattelite radio, CAI, chin spoiler, change the oil, rotate tire, etc. I'm planning on changing the diff fluid soon also. I love every minute of it.

Except I'm scared to death to change the spark plugs.
Old 2/28/08, 06:04 AM
Bullitt Member

I do my own maint. because I like to and I know it's done right. Plus I like to spend time with my toys!
Old 2/28/08, 07:29 AM
GT Member

I too do my own work except gear changes.I had a 1978 CJ7 Jeep V8/3speed bought used in 1980 only time in a shop was for the 4:11 gears the dealer installed and a carb rebuild [i should have done it myself] sold it in 2007 still looking good and running strong.I plan on keeping my GT/CS at least that long. HA HA I'll be 88 by then.
Old 2/28/08, 07:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MustangLynda
Heck I can check the air in my tires and check my oil, that's about it. Anything beyond that is over my head

Unfortunately I have to totally rely on others. I still have pride in my car though
Lynda,

TacoBill will show you the way! I read his how-tos whenever I have some free time. It's almost like you're doing the work. Great job Taco!!!
Old 2/28/08, 07:38 AM
Cobra R Member

doing my own work is half the reason i am such a gear head, its just soo much fun. right now i am rebuilding a 66 mustang convertible for my father. after that i am going to pick up an MKI vw to rebuild for myself. i also do all my own work to my 07 stang. building the engine for the 66 and then in 5 years or so i'll put together a stroker for the 07. i just cant get enough of it.
Old 2/28/08, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

i just wont touch my fuel lines or tranny juice..

once it gets above 2 degrees in NY then maybe i can change my oil ...lol

ive done the brakes..rotors/pads/calipers etc.

spark plugs are the easiest thing to do i think ..just take your time and dont force them back in..and dont overtighen them HAVE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS SHOW YOU ONCE AND YOUL BE FINE
Old 2/28/08, 04:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Jay, don't forget about your cabin air filter (located under the cowling on the passenger side...should change it every 12k miles)...it can be a bear to change, but doable...lots of instructions on it on this site.
Old 2/29/08, 08:01 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm trying to do a lot of my own stuff. The problem is it's my only car! This is why I'm debating the age old question, inexpensive second car or S/C? Since I'm hearing gas prices are going to continue to go up, I'm thinking a bare bones Focus is in my future.
Old 2/29/08, 10:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ufnavy06
I'm trying to do a lot of my own stuff. The problem is it's my only car! This is why I'm debating the age old question, inexpensive second car or S/C? Since I'm hearing gas prices are going to continue to go up, I'm thinking a bare bones Focus is in my future.
I hear you on the daily driver / self maintenance stuff. I can't wait to install some Kook's LTs, an axle back and a Spydershaft. Then while I've got the car up in the air, maybe, just maybe I can clean the car enough from below to vaguely resemble Taco Bill's "never been driven, the videos are good CGI GT".

If gas mileage is a concern for you a year or two from now, wait until there are cheap domestic turbo diesels out. Everyone's bringing them out here this fall and next spring. Then when they go to sell their cheap, bare bones Foci, you'll be able to swoop in and grab a bargain that will more than offset the gas price discrepancy for a year.

But be wary, at $3.25 a gallon, 300 miles a week, the gas expense difference between a car that gets 25 mpg and a car that gets 45 mpg is between $8k - $12k over 5 years. That's a heckuva lot of car for the gas savings.