2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 11/17/04 | 07:39 AM
V6 Member

Back in May I ordered a car through a dealership close to where I live. That car has been built, but is lost in the mysterious hold. I talked to the dealership yesterday and from what they’ve been hearing from Ford, the first 1000 made will be held indefinitely. My VIN was 680 and was also actually produced inside the first 1000.

Here’s my problem – my dad’s neighbor owns a dealership about 100 miles away and wanted to sell me the new mustang. He asked if I was going to place an order…since I already had he offered to place the exact same order incase the other deal fell threw or there was some problem. That car (VIN 2505) is now in. He called last night and said it was mine if I hadn’t done anything yet.

I don’t want to ruin the relationship I have established with the first dealership and I also kind of like the idea of having a really low VIN, but waiting for the car is NOT fun and we have no idea when the cars will be release…for all we know it could be another month or two.

What would you all do? Both dealerships are selling them to me for invoice so price isn’t an issue. I’m fairly certain the first dealership wouldn’t have a problem selling the car once it does show up, but it’s the principle of the thing…he’s an old school guy and I don’t want to bail if it’ll mess things up.

I think I’ll probably end up giving him call to see what his thoughts are...probably the right thing to do. Just looking for some other people’s opinions.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 11/17/04 | 07:43 AM
Cobra Member

here's what I think..... your first order wasn't the first one built.... or the second, or anywhere near that. I wouldn't be concerned about having a low VIN at this point.
Secondly..... so you think that first dealer would hesitate for a second to bone out on you for anything if there wasn't money in it for him? Sure, he may be a nice guy, but business is business...... it's not like you married him and have to come home and face the music every night. Go with the car that's just waiting for you.
Old 11/17/04 | 07:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Talk to the first dealer and explain the situation. I'm sure he will understand, especially if you come to him before you go to the second dealer. Let the first guy know that you will go back to him next time you are in the market for a car.

Thats what I would do.
Old 11/17/04 | 07:48 AM
I Have No Life

I would pick up the one that is available. Just explain to the guy that you had orginally bought it from that it is not his fault but you should not have to wait for a car that is on hold, lost or whatever.
Old 11/17/04 | 07:55 AM
V6 Member

This loyalty thing is killing me!

It is easier to justify going the other way since the first dealership would probably make more money off someone else.

Anyone around KC, MO want to get on the list for a black GT with most of the options?
Old 11/17/04 | 07:58 AM
FR500 Member

Ask the first dealer what he would advise.....it will work out O.K. for everyone involved as long as you don't waid too long.
Old 11/17/04 | 08:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

Sounds to me like the first dealer actually wins. You buy the Mustang at virtually no profit at another dealer, leaving the original dealer an incoming unit that they can sell for more money. You then turn around and do your warranty and maintenance work with the original dealer. Trust me used cars, parts and service are the true profit centers of the dealership, not new car sales.

We sell new cars at $200 under invoice because we want to create customer base for our profit centers, parts and service.

Explain to the original dealer your concerns and your intentions of continued loyalty after the sale and I can't see how they could hate you for your decision. If they get a bad attitude, maybe they weren't the good guys you thought they were anyway.

Good Luck
Old 11/17/04 | 08:07 AM
FR500 Member

I'm pretty sure the first dealers response will be somthing like: "Great, you found one, bring it by when you pick it up, I'd like to see it". or something to that effect.
Old 11/17/04 | 08:30 AM
V6 Member

i wouldnt be too worried about the car salesmans feelings, They are jerks and do not care about you, just your money, and dont let them stinker you into any warranty or dealer installed junk.
Old 11/17/04 | 08:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Order the other one and see what one comes in first. The loosing dealership will have no problem selling the left over mustang.
Old 11/17/04 | 08:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Take the one available. I have little doubt that the other salesman will understand.

Jason
Old 11/17/04 | 09:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Loyalty's one thing. Gettin' your hands on one now is another. The dealer will understand. It's just business.

And as someone else said, they'll get to mark it up, so bonus for them. They can't make money on vaporStangs. Gotta get it in.

And you can still go to them for the service and other goodies, if you feel the need.

Remember, it's just a car. They'll sell it, if not to you, to someone. Get your 'Stang, and have fun, and stop worryin' about it. Which you will when you drive around in it, trust me.
Old 11/17/04 | 09:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Use the one that is in as a bargaining chip to see if your first dealer will discount you anymore than what they offered originally! Seeing as how your first dealer gave you an invoice price to begin with it might not have the same effect had it been MSRP. No harm in trying though!

Go with the one that's ready & waiting! The car sells itself, they're just there for the paperwork!

Good luck and Congrats!!!
Old 11/17/04 | 09:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by nh5622@November 17, 2004, 8:42 AM
Back in May I ordered a car through a dealership close to where I live. That car has been built, but is lost in the mysterious hold. I talked to the dealership yesterday and from what they’ve been hearing from Ford, the first 1000 made will be held indefinitely. My VIN was 680 and was also actually produced inside the first 1000.

Here’s my problem – my dad’s neighbor owns a dealership about 100 miles away and wanted to sell me the new mustang. He asked if I was going to place an order…since I already had he offered to place the exact same order incase the other deal fell threw or there was some problem. That car (VIN 2505) is now in. He called last night and said it was mine if I hadn’t done anything yet.

I don’t want to ruin the relationship I have established with the first dealership and I also kind of like the idea of having a really low VIN, but waiting for the car is NOT fun and we have no idea when the cars will be release…for all we know it could be another month or two.

What would you all do? Both dealerships are selling them to me for invoice so price isn’t an issue. I’m fairly certain the first dealership wouldn’t have a problem selling the car once it does show up, but it’s the principle of the thing…he’s an old school guy and I don’t want to bail if it’ll mess things up.

I think I’ll probably end up giving him call to see what his thoughts are...probably the right thing to do. Just looking for some other people’s opinions.

Thanks,
Nick
Go buy the other car, drive over to your original dealer. Let him know you got it somewhere else and drive off. Problem solved.
Old 11/17/04 | 07:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm with Karpro, taking delivery now is a win-win for all parties. You are very lucky to have someone who placed a backup-order for you. That was very nice of him, and even better that he is going to give you a good deal. Regarding the lower VIN numbers. I know of a couple of members out here that recieved their cars, and they have VIN's < 1000. Good luck with your decision B)
Old 11/17/04 | 07:34 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by nh5622@November 17, 2004, 8:58 AM
This loyalty thing is killing me!

It is easier to justify going the other way since the first dealership would probably make more money off someone else.

Anyone around KC, MO want to get on the list for a black GT with most of the options?
I sent you a PM that may give you an option.
Old 11/17/04 | 07:39 PM
V6 Member

Does not sound like much of a dilemma, your car is in with the second dealer buy that one. The first dealer will have no problem selling this car once it comes in. If it makes you feel better call him and explain the situation, believe me he will understand. I am sure he will not have a problem at all with your decision.
Old 11/17/04 | 09:25 PM
Bullitt Member

My thinking is this, Get the car that's available. Explain the matter to both dealers and divide further service, parts and factory work with both. I think it's a win for all of you. Karpro explained the back side of every deal and that is what good dealers do! jmt Happy Trails!