2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

defect in wheel, air leak.

Search this Thread

Old 5/28/06, 03:14 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
defect in wheel, air leak.

If you search my other posts you will see the problems I have had and the terrible customer service I get from Rod Baker Ford in Plainfield Illinois.
After finally replacing my tire due to it being out of specs, I had an air leak of around 10PSI in 7-8 days. I had it at the dealer for 2 days and was told that they could not find the leak and suggested I take it to Discount Tire because they have a "dip tank" and have the dealer billed. I finally got around to looking at it myself and in less than 15min I found a defect in the wheel. The same way we find leaks in our aircraft tires, soap and water in a spray bottle.
It looks like a flake of plating popped off that was covering a tiny hole in the bead area. My neighbor said something about crown vics having a recall about this type of problem. Anyone heard of this with Mustangs or other Fords?
Old 5/28/06, 03:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are you talking about the tire valves leaking?
Old 5/28/06, 09:51 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
any CAST wheels will have 'inclusions'...fancy name for **** in the metal...usually 'dross' or oxidized material that floats on the melt pot, gets into the fill tubes, and its in the wheel somewhere- if large enough piece, its porous and will seep. if nothing obscene, they will just pop the tire off, paint the OD of the wheel, remount and youre good to go. Ever wonder why cast wheels get cleared out where the tire sits? its sealant more than for cosmetics. We used to make cast wheels, but not anymore- the ones we did were 100% xrayed for inclusions, and leak tested before paint to boot. basically if xray showed two specks the size of the period on your keyboard it was remelted- saw xrays of some aftermarket/chinese stuff, EEW...basically I think as long as it looks pretty they paint and ship. I'd much rather have cold forged.