Old 12/2/04, 04:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bang for the Bucks. (article)
Old 12/2/04, 04:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Mustang's write up in the article.
COOL FACTOR: 10 <~ but we all knew this!
Old 12/2/04, 04:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can.t help but notice the big smile on the face of the guy driving the '05 Mustang. Same smile I get every time I drive mine. Ohhh Yahhh!!!
Old 12/2/04, 04:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

The rest of the write up. Dodge SRT-4 0-60mph 5.5 WTF? :scratch:
Old 12/2/04, 09:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks for the info, I will keep looking.
Old 12/2/04, 09:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yeah, I just got my January 2005 M/T magazine as well. I haven't received my Car and Driver (the one where they run the '05 Mustang GT against the '05 Pontiac GTO) so I'm drooling while waiting for that one.

You've GOT to love the great press this new Mustang is getting!
Old 12/2/04, 10:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well this isn't unexpected, the 300C won the Car of the Year awards.

Here
Old 12/2/04, 11:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow, "Then came the Mustang II. Not even Charlie's Angels could make those two door leisure suits look good."- and to think the same editors of motor trend gave the mustang II their "Car of the year" award 30 years ago! HAVE SOME RESPECT! :nono:
Old 12/2/04, 11:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Mas35NYR@December 2, 2004, 7:33 PM
The rest of the write up. Dodge SRT-4 0-60mph 5.5 WTF? :scratch:
why not? its got 250lb-ft at 2200 rpm and it weighs less than 3000lbs. makes sense to me. its not all that expensive either. I like it a lot, that makes two 4-bangers i would actually buy (the other is an escape hybrid, 0-60 in about 10 )
Old 12/2/04, 11:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by BlackRiderX@December 3, 2004, 1:49 AM

Here
I think a lot of people expected it. People at least admitted it was gonna come down to either the 300 or the mustang, and that's what it looks like actually happened.
I can definitely respect their decision, although obviously I woulda preferred the stang taking home this award.
But just think of how much of a change the 300 represents. From sleek cab-forward, front wheel drive v6 sedans, to 5.7L v8, long hood, short deck and rear wheel drive. And look at the interior, pretty sweet, and it ain't too expensive either. Admit it, if ford had made it, you would love it. I know i would, but they didn't, so i don't.
Old 12/2/04, 11:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by mustang_sallad+December 3, 2004, 12:14 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mustang_sallad @ December 3, 2004, 12:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BlackRiderX@December 3, 2004, 1:49 AM

Here
I think a lot of people expected it. People at least admitted it was gonna come down to either the 300 or the mustang, and that's what it looks like actually happened.
I can definitely respect their decision, although obviously I woulda preferred the stang taking home this award.
But just think of how much of a change the 300 represents. From sleek cab-forward, front wheel drive v6 sedans, to 5.7L v8, long hood, short deck and rear wheel drive. And look at the interior, pretty sweet, and it ain't too expensive either. Admit it, if ford had made it, you would love it. I know i would, but they didn't, so i don't. [/b][/quote]
I don't like it actually, but I've never been a fan of that style of car. I saw a black one with 22 inch chrome spinners driving down the street the other day btw. They are all over the place already so it's not a shock that it won.
Old 12/2/04, 11:28 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by mustang_sallad+December 2, 2004, 10:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mustang_sallad @ December 2, 2004, 10:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BlackRiderX@December 3, 2004, 1:49 AM

Here
But just think of how much of a change the 300 represents. From sleek cab-forward, front wheel drive v6 sedans, to 5.7L v8, long hood, short deck and rear wheel drive. And look at the interior, pretty sweet, and it ain't too expensive either. Admit it, if ford had made it, you would love it. I know i would, but they didn't, so i don't. [/b][/quote]
Interesting. I believe the last time Chrysler went this route, they about went belly up!
Old 12/10/04, 09:59 AM
Cobra Member

Cool

I have read various car magazines lately. Almost everyone gives the V6 good review & GT Mustang an excellent review. Motor Trend Magazine though has a poor review on the V6 Coupe in both the November & December issue.
I get the overall impression that MT is just interested in cars that fit in the "Race Track Car Theory." Perhaps Ford should consider giving MT a V6 Coupe to test for a week or so. I am sure they would have a different viewpoint of the coupe after their testing. I have been lucky to have two test drives in the V6 Coupe afer those drives I cannot see the need for the average person to have a GT unless smoking tires and smell are the Mustang enthusiats creed. Perhaps MT should have a test of V6 vehicles in the same category. You should not get the impression that I am knocking the Mustang GT, I just think MT could have given the V6 a much better review. Sounds like MT probably never gave it a second look. By the way my order for the V6 Coupe went in on November 26,2004 the dealer expects delivery in late February 2005.

Ray Spencer
Edmonton, Alberta
Old 12/10/04, 12:13 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by poldrv@December 10, 2004, 11:02 AM
Perhaps MT should have a test of V6 vehicles in the same category. You should not get the impression that I am knocking the Mustang GT, I just think MT could have given the V6 a much better review. Sounds like MT probably never gave it a second look.
Or maybe they didn't even give it a first drive, much less a second look. Perhaps they drove a 4.0 Ranger, and thought the Mustang must drive the same?

I have driven the V6, and while it is no where near as smooth as an Accord V6, I certainly wouldn't call it "rough running" as MT does. There is a suprising amount of induction noise, but I didn't think it was rough.

As for their claim that the V6 was developed as a truck engine, one has to wonder why MT persists in printing "information" that thousands of people know is flat out wrong (unless you consider boring and stroking an existing engine a significant event). In my opinion MT has once again demostrated that they are "the car magazine for people who don't like cars," or something like that.

On the other hand, R&T says the 4.0 is "silk sheets" smoother than the old 3.8. Well, maybe, but it sounds to me like they are going a bit overboard in the other direction. Bottom line: if you want real information, don't count on getting it from a car magazine.
Old 12/10/04, 01:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Just found this on msn's homepage, not sure if anyone has read it or seen it, they have some really good photos i have not seen on here before. here is the link:Msn Mustang

Preview: 2005 Ford Mustang

The 2005 Mustang GT is powered by a 300-horsepower 4.6-liter aluminum block V8 with three valves per cylinder. Photo: Mike Meredith

by Mike Meredith

We drive Ford's all-new pony car icon, and it just might be the best Mustang yet.

The all-new Ford Mustang has generated a lot of excitement with both former and future Mustang owners ever since it debuted as a concept car at the 2003 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.
The production version of the 2005 Mustang debuted last year, drawing on styling cues from the past, but with a completely new platform and modern technology. After driving the new Mustang for the first time, I would say it delivers everything you would expect from an all-new Mustang—and more.

Broadband Video
2005 Ford Mustang Design
I recently spent an afternoon in Southern California as both a passenger and a driver in this latest rendition of Ford's iconic "pony car." Any apprehensions about this new car looking good but not living up to its promise from a performance standpoint can be laid to rest. The 2005 Mustang is not only the real deal; it's probably the best Mustang yet.

More Power, Excellent New Chassis
My first chance to take the wheel of the 2005 Mustang came on the Angeles Crest Highway, a twisty mountain road in the Angeles National Forest area northeast of Los Angeles. Although I had been riding in the passenger seat for an hour or so through Hollywood and up into the foothills, my first driving experience was diving right into a section of two-lane highway with short straights and tight hairpin turns.

Driving the standard coupe, which features a new 210-horsepower 4.0-liter V6 engine, I accelerated from the mountain road turn-out and was quickly up to highway speed. The V6 delivers good power and the new 5-speed automatic transmission shifted quickly and smoothly. The engine and transmission electronics seemed to work well together, with just the right amount of dip in the throttle for a smooth shift.

According to Ford, the new transmission computer can communicate with the engine electronics ten times faster than in previous versions. The throttle pedal has a different feel to it initially; it's a little stiff and throttle control is obviously electronic rather than mechanical, but after a few short miles my brain, foot and pedal were in synch.

At the first big corner of my drive I experienced the biggest change in this next-generation Mustang. The new chassis is stiff and the steering excellent, with good on-center feel, precise turn-in and consistency through corners. The overall handling inspires confidence, with very little body roll and a balanced feel that remains consistent—even on irregular pavement. Despite the rigid chassis and improved handling the ride is not rough; the new Mustang easily absorbs bumps for a comfortable ride while cruising.

The 2005 Mustang has state-of-the-art front suspension and a new three-link rear suspension. The front suspension utilizes steel lower control arms manufactured with a new technology that makes them lighter than comparable cast aluminum arms. A firm bushing is used to connect the front of the suspension arm, which improves steering response.

The rear suspension works well, but the design is the most controversial aspect of the new car. Ford decided to carry over the live rear axle from previous-generation Mustangs rather than replace it with an independent rear suspension—Ford claims previous Mustang owners requested the retention of the live axle, but it was mostly likely a cost-saving measure.

The 2005 Mustang rear suspension has a sophisticated three-link configuration that incorporates a central control arm at the top of the differential housing, trailing arms near each end of the axle and a Panhard rod parallel to the axle. The Panhard rod is attached to the body and to the axle to control the axle from moving side-to-side.

Coil springs are located near the ends of the axles, and the shock absorbers are as far outboard as possible to have the most control over jounce and rebound forces.

When pushed hard through corners on a rough section of road, drivers can definitely feel the limitation of the live axle and the tendency for the rear end to want to step out, but it still feels well controlled, stable and predictable. Expect an independent rear suspension in the next Cobra, carrying a much higher price tag than the Mustang GT.

It was good to drive the V6 Mustang first, which is expected to account for 70 percent of Mustang sales, but on twisty mountain roads I soon had three Mustang GTs filling my mirrors since they had nearly 100 additional ponies under the hood. The V6 Mustang performed admirably against its heartier siblings, but I pulled over and let the GTs pass.

Mustang GT: Even More Bang for the Buck
As good as the V6 Mustang is, when I climbed in the Mustang GT and turned the key I realized something almost immediately: This could be the car enthusiast's bargain of the year. The new aluminum-block 4.6-liter modular V8 delivers 300 horsepower and 320 lb-ft of torque.

The 2.5-inch mandrel-bent dual exhaust has a perfect rumble to it, without being too loud. The throttle pedal has just the right feel. With the new Tremec 5-speed manual transmission the shifter has a slightly stiff, slightly notchy feel that gives it direct feedback.

Unfortunately I only had about 20 minutes in the GT, but that was enough time to get an idea of this car's potential. Not only does it have great looks with standard fog lights in the grille, 17-inch wheels, an aggressive front fascia and a rear spoiler, but when that gas pedal goes down the GT moves right now, plastering a grin from ear to ear.

The abundant power from the torquey V8 provides smooth acceleration, and the engine continues to pull strongly through the gears. With each gear change the shifter notches crisply into position with a deliberate motion that is somewhere between a muscle car of yesteryear and a fragile sports car.

As I slowed for the first corner in the Mustang GT, I noticed the pedals were perfectly positioned for a proper heel-and-toe downshift. With my right foot firmly on the brake pedal I could roll my foot over to the throttle pedal and raise the engine RPM while still braking to the level needed and smoothly shift into the lower gear.

Picking up the throttle I accelerated down to the next corner with my confidence growing in the ability of this modern interpretation of the All-American pony car. Sure, this type of driving is the stuff of exotic sports cars, but just as much fun in this new Mustang that has all the necessary controls in the right place for the driver to play sports racer.

My few minutes in the Mustang GT confirmed it as the best choice for storming twisty mountain roads, and they definitely explained why those three GTs were able to catch me so quickly while I was driving the V6 coupe. The Mustang GT is a fast, fun car to drive, offering a high-level of performance in a reasonably priced package, starting under $25,000.

Mustang Delivers, as Promised
When the Mustang Concept debuted in Detroit in 2003, it showed a glimpse at the past with the promise of modern technology. And that is what the 2005 Mustang delivers.

Driving the new Mustang with other journalists out on public roads for the first time, I was able to take in the wide variety of colors, ranging from Lime Green, a very popular color in the '60s, to a bright lemon yellow—a color only possible with today's modern paint technology. The car looks great in every color. And that's not just my opinion, but was proven by others along our drive route. It was fun to watch as pedestrians and people in other vehicles noticed the car, immediately recognizing it as a Mustang but then realizing—wait, that's the NEW Mustang. One kid even yelled to us from the sidewalk: "Hey dude, NICE car."
Old 12/10/04, 01:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Mas35NYR@December 2, 2004, 5:25 PM
COTY Playing field.
This is my favorate page of the COTY article. Just THREE (count 'em) cars quicker than our pony. A vette, a porshe, and a friggin LOTUS. Not to mention the mean MSRP of these three is more than double that of the Mustang GT...

cool.
Old 12/15/04, 02:43 AM
Cobra Member

The 2005 Mustang is on today's (20051215) AOL Opening page with the title "AJAC's 2005 Car of the Year Finalists. A short review but very good with lots of postive comments. By the way last time I spoke to my salesman he indicated that his dealership is getting a lot of inquiries about the mustang and that the GT's do not stay on the lot for very long.

Ray Spencer
Edmonton.