2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Dealer Bodyshop or Independent?

Search this Thread

Old 11/23/06, 05:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Bodyshop or Independent?

Got to get my rear quarter panel and bumper repaired and repainted. Is it better to get the repair & paint done at a Ford dealer or an independent bodyshop?
Old 11/23/06, 06:38 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are one in the same really, in my opnion

A Ford bodyshop might still try to cheap out by using offshore parts, you can't be guaranteed that they will be using genuine sheetmetal. I've seen work done at dealer shops and it was garbage.

Given that, you're best bet is to get a refferral. Talk to your local mustangers and car guys and I am sure you can find a consensus bodyshop that is high-quality.
Old 11/23/06, 06:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Had a SUV fixed at my local dealer. Then I happened across a great shop where I got my stripes painted on my Mustang. The guy did a great job and while I was checking on the progress he saw my SUV from about 15 feet away and within 10 seconds asked me what had happened to it. Turns out the dealer did a pretty poor job on the paint. If I ever have to do anything again I will go with the independent shop, but that is just me.
Old 11/23/06, 08:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Galaxie

A Ford bodyshop might still try to cheap out by using offshore parts, you can't be guaranteed that they will be using genuine sheetmetal. I've seen work done at dealer shops and it was garbage.

Given that, you're best bet is to get a refferral. Talk to your local mustangers and car guys and I am sure you can find a consensus bodyshop that is high-quality.
Concur - If possible get in touch with a local Mustang club or even some other car club to see what they will say. These folks are usually really fussy and may be able to steer you to a good shop
Old 11/23/06, 09:06 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Galaxie

People drive me nuts saying that they're taking the car to the dealer because they're trained from the factory and use only factory parts and factory paints . There are some really good dealer bodyshops, but there are a lot of poor ones too.
Seek advice from others who are very particular about their cars and still say they had a good experience.
Another thought - call your local Porsche dealer and find out who does their body repairs. I think Porsche has the highest percentage of very picky customers.
Old 11/23/06, 12:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anything at all associated with a dealer will normally be under severe pressure for profit even at the expense of quality and what's in the customers best interests. I would always always recommend a private shop with GOOD to EXCELLENT references. Don't go someplace you don't know or have a relatively decent number of referrals that state they're good.

Another avenue you can explore is to call your insurance company. They normally have a group of "certified" shops in your area they have done business with. Insurance companies won't tolerate garbage so if they're on your insurers list, more than likely you'll be in good shape.
Old 11/23/06, 02:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

A lot of dealerships are just training grounds for bodymen who wish to learn the trade. Take the time to locate a reputable shop for proper repair. As mentioned above, find out who does the high end repair work, or check your local show circuit for refs. You are not guarenteed quality work from a dealership. It seems to be more common that you will have more troubles with dealership work, since there is nothing on the line for them. At a self owned shop, reputation is everything.
Old 11/23/06, 04:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
My dealer warned me that they weren't a body shop, and couldn't do as good a job as a professional autobody shop. Their painting facilities are more for minor collisions and such. They said that with metallic paints especially (like the Tungsten we both have), a professional should be used.
Old 11/23/06, 04:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Find out what body shop repairs for the Porsche/BMW or other High End dealerships in your area. Those body shops are used to very picky customers and usually will do a very good job the first time. Just remember if you go through your insurance company, it is your choice of body shop-not theirs. They may try to steer you into a shop that they have a discount arrangement with and ususally you will suffer for their discount.
Good luck.
Old 11/27/06, 03:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by fastduo
Find out what body shop repairs for the Porsche/BMW or other High End dealerships in your area. Those body shops are used to very picky customers and usually will do a very good job the first time. Just remember if you go through your insurance company, it is your choice of body shop-not theirs. They may try to steer you into a shop that they have a discount arrangement with and ususally you will suffer for their discount. Good luck.
Well said !
Old 11/29/06, 06:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

You have to ask around and see what shops are most in favour.I used a dealer's shop for some add on parts and got quite a shoddy job. I next went to a small local shop and didn't see much improvement. For my latest work I found a custom shop and was given examples of his work to consider. It was great and only cost $10 an hour more for labour and the results were fabulous. SHOP AROUND!!