2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Dead Stang! :(

Search this Thread

Old 9/1/10, 05:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead Stang! :(

Sorry if this problem has been posted before... I'm borrowing someone's computer while mine is dead (parts on order...grrr) and don't have a whole lot of time to browse. Go easy on me, mmkay?

So today, as I pulled into my driveway, my 07 GT just...died. Engine shut off, but all electrical components appeared to be working. I was able to shift into park easily, and even eject a CD from the changer. Attempting to crank the car did nothing (not even a click).

My first thought was I hit the ramp into the driveway too hard (I didn't think I hit hard at all...but meh) and triggered the fuel shut off, so I hit the fuel reset switch and attempted to start back up. Still nothing...not a sound!

I'm dumbfounded at what the problem could be. Any hints?

I'll hopefully be able to check this from work briefly. Thank goodness for having a winter beater!
Old 9/1/10, 06:18 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
The first thing i would do is, remove the battery cables and clean everything with a small wire brush.
Old 9/1/10, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by David Young
The first thing i would do is, remove the battery cables and clean everything with a small wire brush.
Yes, try that first. I've experience this on 2 different cars. The electrical stuff would sometimes work, but there wouldn't be enough juice to crank the engine. Clean up the leads on the battery and give it a shot.
Old 9/1/10, 07:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
While that may be it, it would certainly have dimmed the lights if it were drawing the power to attempt to start. I'm not sold on that. Although if it were reported as the interior lights flickered/dimmed, or maybe headlamps or something that isn't going to be turned off by trying to start the car were to dim or go off, then I might be inclined. Doesn't mean it's not it, just not my first guess, given what I've read...

You've already done the fuel relay check, so that's out...

That is makes NO sound? Odd. Don't suppose you've checked to be sure the fuel pump is running at all? Maybe by depressurizing the fuel rails, then turning the key on to listen for the pump?

Loose connection at the SJB maybe.

Loose connection at the computer maybe (it's in the engine bay up front, IIRC...)

Loose connection at the firewall maybe.

Possibly bad ignition cylinder. Do you have a 1" sphere of depleted uranium's worth of mass on the key ring?

Just throwin' those out for ya.
Old 9/1/10, 07:36 PM
FR500 Member

When I've tried to start the car with a 'nearly' dead battery the starter solenoid would click, then the whole car would shut off for 1/2 sec. The cycle would repeat about every second.
Old 9/2/10, 07:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the tips everyone.

I don't think its the battery. I double checked connections at the battery this morning, and the terminals were smooth, clean, and connections tight. I've experienced dead battery twice before, and this is nothing like that.

Fuel pump...not sure. Wouldn't the car at least attempt to crank? When I crank, nothing happens at all. Lights don't dim, starter makes no sound, just...nothing. It's as if I'm playing with a (very, very expensive) toy car!

Not sure about loose connections elsewhere. A brief search turned up nothing, but I didn't look super hard to be honest. I also did a quick look at the fuses in the engine bay, and didn't notice a blown out fuse.

Unless the pewter Mustang on my keyring is actually made of depleted uranium, I don't think that is my issue.

Guess I'll need to bite the bullet and have her towed to a nearby dealer.

EDIT: What makes this situation even worse is I had someone interested in buying my car, and paying top dollar for it. They were scheduled to come take a look at it tomorrow. Guess that will need to be rescheduled...

Last edited by WarBird69; 9/2/10 at 07:20 AM.
Old 9/2/10, 01:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

This really sounds like a grounding issue to me. Accessories work apparently without issue. fuel relay doesn't solve the problem and no activity from the starter.

Has this car had any alterations to it's wiring in any way? Stereo system, aftermarket lighting etc?
Old 9/2/10, 02:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jlmounce
This really sounds like a grounding issue to me. Accessories work apparently without issue. fuel relay doesn't solve the problem and no activity from the starter.

Has this car had any alterations to it's wiring in any way? Stereo system, aftermarket lighting etc?
3rd brake light is the only thing I can think of, nothing under the hood or in the cabin has been altered, wiring wise.
Old 9/2/10, 03:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by WarBird69
3rd brake light is the only thing I can think of, nothing under the hood or in the cabin has been altered, wiring wise.
Hmm, regardless this is something I'd check. Look for the grounding straps and check them for corrosion.

You might want to get an ohm meter on the starter and see if it's got current going to it.

If it was a fueling issue that wouldn't prevent the engine from cranking.
Old 9/2/10, 10:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

When mine did this, twice. Battery both times. Sounds weird I know, but it was the battery both times.
Old 9/2/10, 11:14 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

If not battery, PATS issue. You are not sending a signal to starter, no click. There will be codes.
If no codes, then the first check is starter relay, then starter motor. Your ignition switch itself.

If you trans range sensor is faulty, the pcm won't recognize if the car is in Park or Neutral to start the car. PCM wont ground your starter relay...

Should be a quick fix at any reputable shop.

Last edited by ManEHawke; 9/2/10 at 11:26 PM.
Old 9/3/10, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Just picked up my car. $425 later, we have a diagnosis...

Two fuses were blown. The reason the fuses blew is because some wires from an aftermarket remote start ( you Ziebart) were as bare as a baby's bottom, causing a short which blew the fuses, which in turn caused the car to die when they finally touched. Guess I'm lucky it was just a short, not a fire.

Either way, I'm pretty peeved at the shoddy work Ziebart did on that remote start. Bare wires....really? The scratches on my ignition column I have lived with...the swirl marks in the paint on my winter beater (used a gift card for detailing)...but this?

PS: The remote start was a gift from my wife a while back. Not my idea!
Old 9/3/10, 04:01 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would eb calling them up and asking them for a refund plus damage.