2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Day 5 observations...

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/05, 07:42 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by CelticCub@September 3, 2005, 9:11 PM
Thanks, Chuck. I appreciate that. I only had that car for about 9 months after restoring her. I invested about $7K and that's what I sold it for, to someone on Long Island. Great learning experience. You would not believe the condition of the car when I bought it. I'll see if I can load some before and after pix...

(I know this is a MUSTANG website, but since we're all pretty much car folks, I thought y'all wouldn't mind if I shared these with ya! )
wo,thats some serious restorin!nice job.wish I had the time and patience to do that
Old 9/5/05, 04:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got an easy solution to the problems with the clanging clutch and the weak brakes....

i would use this opportunity to its greatest extent possible, and have a REALLY GREAT reason to buy a better clutch and some BIGGER possibly crossdrilled rotors....

adapt and overcome people.... adapt and overcome
Old 9/5/05, 05:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by manystangs@September 1, 2005, 12:50 PM
I think you might be hearing the cooling fan spinning down.
Michael
That's very possible. It's not irritating...I was just curious what the sound was. Thanks!
Old 9/5/05, 10:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm glad to read this thread and know what to expect though...yet keep my fingers crossed hoping I don't have them.

Might get flamed for this, but oh well.

This goes on and almost every forum for every car.

Why is it that car owners won't let other car owners complain about their car?

Why is it that another car owner will tell someone to go buy a <insert brand> if they wanted a "luxury" car....though the features they are complaining about...hardly make it a normal car, much less a luxury car?

Why is it that so many people are able to accept what the manufacture gives them in a car? Instead of complaining about it and getting something done about it.

Why is it that they say it's just a <insert car model>...what do you expect? This is what has come to?...excusing the car because it has a certain name is unacceptable.

1.) People should be able to female dog about their cars..just about everyone who complains never says anywhere that they would rather have another car. Let them complain, don't suggest buying another car.

2.) Manufacturers should be held to a higher standard. Putting the shifter too low where your wrist/arm hits your drink everytime you shift back is just unaccceptable. This is a daily inconvenience.

3.) We see new TSBs for a reason...some people don't listen to these people who say it's just a <insert model> or it's only <insert price> or it's a <insert brand>...what did you expect? I'm not saying go to court against the company, but if you do nothing, this just a <insert model> will get worse over years and people will come to accept that...even though THEY caused it.

Ok, I think i'm done.

I'll be writing an article on this.
Old 9/5/05, 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Vermillion98@September 1, 2005, 12:05 PM
Just curious, have most of your previous cars been front wheel drive? I've noticed that people who have not driven rear wheel drive cars much aren't used to having the transmission so close to the driver (literally right under the shifter)... With the transmission so close to the driver, you can normally hear a lot more gear noise than in a FWD car...
Ahh, that might be it. Yes, my previous car, my gf's car, and most of my friends' cars are FWD manuals. Interesting, thanks for the pointer.
Old 9/5/05, 02:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ford05MustangGT, good post, I totally agree. I love my car and can't see myself driving anything else...but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement...
Old 9/5/05, 07:16 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Ford05MustangGT@September 5, 2005, 12:18 PM
I'm glad to read this thread and know what to expect though...yet keep my fingers crossed hoping I don't have them.

Might get flamed for this, but oh well.

This goes on and almost every forum for every car.

Why is it that car owners won't let other car owners complain about their car?

Why is it that another car owner will tell someone to go buy a <insert brand> if they wanted a "luxury" car....though the features they are complaining about...hardly make it a normal car, much less a luxury car?

Why is it that so many people are able to accept what the manufacture gives them in a car? Instead of complaining about it and getting something done about it.

Why is it that they say it's just a <insert car model>...what do you expect? This is what has come to?...excusing the car because it has a certain name is unacceptable.

1.) People should be able to female dog about their cars..just about everyone who complains never says anywhere that they would rather have another car. Let them complain, don't suggest buying another car.

2.) Manufacturers should be held to a higher standard. Putting the shifter too low where your wrist/arm hits your drink everytime you shift back is just unaccceptable. This is a daily inconvenience.

3.) We see new TSBs for a reason...some people don't listen to these people who say it's just a <insert model> or it's only <insert price> or it's a <insert brand>...what did you expect? I'm not saying go to court against the company, but if you do nothing, this just a <insert model> will get worse over years and people will come to accept that...even though THEY caused it.

Ok, I think i'm done.

I'll be writing an article on this.
no flame here,just an AMEN!
Old 9/6/05, 03:21 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by clockworks@September 1, 2005, 7:48 AM
First off, let me say, I love my Mustang. I can't picture myself driving any other car. I go joyriding every night. That being said, I've noticed a few things and want to see if anyone agrees or shares these problems...

1. There seems to be a lot of transmission noise. Lots of clunking and clanking when shifting and using the clutch. My friend says it's normal for high torque cars because they require a heavy duty clutch. He had a 99 Stang GT and now has a Z06 Vette. He says his Vette's transmission was even louder than his Stang's.

2. The brakes are weak. Will getting high performance pads help this or do I need to get a complete high performance system?

3. After driving it pretty hard, when I turn off the engine, I hear hissing noises like steam escaping or water evaporating on very hot metal from under the hood. I've even opened my hood once and saw tons of condensation on some tubes, so much that it was dripping on the ground.

4. There seems to be a whirring or whining noise under the hood during high acceleration. Maybe intake related? I'm bone stock, btw.

I guess what I really need is someone who has driven one for a while to drive me and tell me if all this stuff is normal. Oh well, can't hurt to ask here...
Sounds like most of what you have is normal. Hissing if you just turned off the A/C. Tranny stuff until you get real smooth with shifting.

Biggest thing I notice is that I am used to my Olds Cutlass SL. Compared to the ride in the Olds, the Stang is a stiff ride. Of course, it would be as the Stang is a car built for handling vs easy ride of the Olds. So far, the Stang is working very nicely. The stiff ride keeps me awake!
Old 9/6/05, 04:03 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by FireDragon@September 1, 2005, 6:23 PM
Well, I had mine for about 2 weeks now and the only thing I found on mine is a small bubble in the paint. The dealer is going to fix it, but I'll be without my car for a day or two. :angry:

Besides the paint is also the stress! The stress of having to leave it in parking lots. I always try to park far away from other cars, but sometimes parking lots aren't big enough to do that.

Yeah..know the feeling about parking. I just went to the parking garage to check mine.

The only whining I have heard is from my wife and the folks who wish the car was theirs.
Old 9/8/05, 07:26 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My only true "bothersome" noise is a sporadic whine, like a turbo winding up, while driving. I chaulk it up to the a/c compressor kicking in...but not really for sure, still got plenty of warranty left.
Old 9/8/05, 11:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

My main complaint is the fly-by-wire throttle. It's been discussed a lot here but I just find it really artificial in feel and sometimes just feels like stepping on a wet sponge. I miss the direct feeling of a throttle cable. The best way to deal with it is just floor it every time you accelerate! Otherwise, yes, the brakes are merely adequate for such a heavy car but I may be biased since my last daily driver was a 1975 Porsche 911S. A 2500lb car with fantastic brakes. I will be shopping the aftermarket for some huge stoppers at some point. The stock brakes will never cope with the Vortech that's in the plans.

The car is still a ton of fun and even now that there's plenty of them on the road, it still gets huge attention from passers-by. When parked, I can't stop looking at it. It must be love.