2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Crash pics

Search this Thread

Old 4/11/08, 04:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crash pics

A few weeks ago, I crashed my Mustang. I had stopped to get gas, pulled back out onto the highway, and gave it the gas. I was going straight at the time, the pavement was dry, I didn't dump the clutch, didn't spin the tires, just hit the gas. I shifted into 2nd gear, just as I've done many, many times before with no problem. But this time, there was a problem.

When I shifted into 2nd, the rear end got loose and slid hard to the right. I had no warning or any indication at all that was going to happen. I steered into the slide, then the rear end spun hard to the left. I counter-steered, but it was too late. We were heading off the right side of the road in a slide with the brakes locked. We hit a highway sign and left the roadway at almost a 90 degree angle. We started down an embankment. I don't remember hitting the sign, but I do remember starting down the embankment. We landed on top of a concrete culvert (see damage to left rocker panel), bounced off of it, and ended up at the bottom of the ravine in about a foot of water. The ravine was 10 - 12 feet deep.

I never felt the TCS or ABS kick in, either during the second or two that I was still on the gas after shifting into 2nd, or during the slide off the roadway.

We got very lucky. We didn't roll. We didn't hit the culvert head-on. The marshy slop in the bottom of the ravine slowed our impact. The air bags didn't deploy. In fact, except for being sore for a few days, we didn't get hurt at all.

The car doesn't look bad in the pictures, but the estimate was a little over $23,000. The rear axle is bent. The floor pan and trunk floor are buckled. The body is slightly twisted. So the car is totaled.

But this just goes to show you how fast something can go wrong. I don't know if I hit a slick spot in the concrete, or what, but I've never lost control of a car before. It was all over in just a matter of seconds. So be very careful out there!

Old 4/11/08, 05:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely sorry to hear about that man, really must be a horrible feeling. What's up with the Cobra emblems everywhere?
Old 4/11/08, 05:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by JonW
A few weeks ago, I crashed my Mustang. I had stopped to get gas, pulled back out onto the highway, and gave it the gas. I was going straight at the time, the pavement was dry, I didn't dump the clutch, didn't spin the tires, just hit the gas. I shifted into 2nd gear, just as I've done many, many times before with no problem. But this time, there was a problem.

When I shifted into 2nd, the rear end got loose and slid hard to the right. I had no warning or any indication at all that was going to happen. I steered into the slide, then the rear end spun hard to the left. I counter-steered, but it was too late. We were heading off the right side of the road in a slide with the brakes locked. We hit a highway sign and left the roadway at almost a 90 degree angle. We started down an embankment. I don't remember hitting the sign, but I do remember starting down the embankment. We landed on top of a concrete culvert (see damage to left rocker panel), bounced off of it, and ended up at the bottom of the ravine in about a foot of water. The ravine was 10 - 12 feet deep.

I never felt the TCS or ABS kick in, either during the second or two that I was still on the gas after shifting into 2nd, or during the slide off the roadway.

We got very lucky. We didn't roll. We didn't hit the culvert head-on. The marshy slop in the bottom of the ravine slowed our impact. The air bags didn't deploy. In fact, except for being sore for a few days, we didn't get hurt at all.

The car doesn't look bad in the pictures, but the estimate was a little over $23,000. The rear axle is bent. The floor pan and trunk floor are buckled. The body is slightly twisted. So the car is totaled.

But this just goes to show you how fast something can go wrong. I don't know if I hit a slick spot in the concrete, or what, but I've never lost control of a car before. It was all over in just a matter of seconds. So be very careful out there!

sorry to hear that bro...I totalled my 05 Stang in December, and it was a mangled wreck. Anyone looking at it would swear that no one survived, but I did (and my friend). We both climbed out without a scratch. Anyhow, the main thing is that you're ok, and your car will be replaced. Expect your insurance rates to go up though .
Old 4/11/08, 05:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

OMG I'm glad you guys are alright!! I'm going to remember this next time I decide to drive like a smart butt (not that you were). It's very easy to forget what we are really driving and how easily and unexpectedly they can become out of control squirrly.

Regarding the traction control - I don't know about it. I drove my car through the winter with snow tires, but even with the snow tires I ended up losing the back end quite a few times and the traction control came on I think only ONCE. Same with getting stuck on an incline and spinning the wheels - no traction control in several instances. I'm not sure what's up with that. Kind of scary your airbags didn't deploy though...

Well, I'm glad you're OK. Hopefully your insurance will pay off, and then, time to go shopping!!
Old 4/11/08, 05:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

wow man glad your ok and who ever else was in the car with you...... sorry to hear about the car...... what are you gonna get now?
Old 4/11/08, 05:39 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by polodinks
wow man glad your ok and who ever else was in the car with you...... sorry to hear about the car...... what are you gonna get now?
According to his sig. he's got a GT500 Vert on the way!

Last edited by runningwild4.6; 4/11/08 at 05:45 PM.
Old 4/11/08, 05:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Glad you are ok, Sorry to see that..your car was beautiful.
Old 4/11/08, 05:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by MustangLynda
I'm not sure what's up with that. Kind of scary your airbags didn't deploy though...
It is a good thing the airbags didn't go off, they can do more damage to you and the car than they are worth in a slower speed crash. The airbags will only go off if the impact is above something like 25-30mph, AND you hit something solid-ish, head on, or pretty close to head on.

He wasn't injured, so the car did it's job. If he was injured and the airbags didn't go off, I would say something was wrong.
Old 4/11/08, 07:05 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by JonW
... I never felt the TCS or ABS kick in...
I've lost control a handful of times on both SN95 and S197 Mustangs, fortunately without any collisions or damage. The common denominator for all the incidents was having the TCS on, either because I forgot to turn it off, ignored it, or being careless and left it on. Frankly I don't trust it, validated by those close calls I've experienced. There are too many variables, factors, and possible scenarios which can alter its intended effectiveness. Testing in a control enviroment not always equates to a real emergency results.

I have adapted a routine which includes turning the TCS off the moment the engine is running. I prefer to rely on my limited driving skills which so far have no similar incidents than to depend on an unknown car's response therefore I've either been lucky driving with the TCS off or I am right about it

I am not advocating not using the TCS, it just doesn't seem to work for me. I am just sharing my personal opinion on the subject.

Last edited by 1 COBRA; 4/12/08 at 04:52 AM.
Old 4/11/08, 08:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Glad your ok. How much for the rims? jk.
Old 4/11/08, 09:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Thank goodness you're ok......

Good luck with the new car.
Old 4/11/08, 09:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Glad to know you are ok

said to here about the car
Old 4/11/08, 09:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
I have adapted a routine which includes turning the TCS off the moment the engine is running. I prefer to rely on my limited driving skills which so far have no similar incidents than to depend on an unknown car's response therefore I've either been lucky driving with the TCS off or I am right about it

I am not advocating not using the TCS, it just doesn't seem to work for me. I am just sharing my personal opinion on the subject.
Ever since my 03 Cobra I have done the same thing, the TCS almost got me T-Boned once and that was it for me! Glad you are alright!
Old 4/11/08, 10:02 PM
Bullitt Member

WOW glad to hear you are ok the car is repairable right
Old 4/12/08, 08:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Sorry to hear that bro, your car must be one of a kind to lose control like that in 2nd. I would have to be getting on my car pretty hard to something like that.
Old 4/12/08, 08:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

I turn my TCS off every time I get in the car, right after I hit the engine start button. The car has always been very predictable. I have been taking my 05 to autocross events since new and I have put it through just about everything you can. I thought the car and I were one, until one event the car surprised me. Luckily I missed the backstretch wall by about a foot going nearly 60.

So, I agree with you when you say things can happen quick. I have been driving for 23 years and autocrossing for about 10 of those, so I concider myself a fairly capable driver. That incident on the track nearly made me puke, really shocked me and I now have a respect for my stang that I didn't quite have before.

Glad to hear you are okay. I walked away from a crash years ago that should have killed me 3 times over, sometimes we just get lucky.
Old 4/12/08, 03:55 PM
GT Member

Giving away that grill??