2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Cracked fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 12/16/08, 11:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most states in the US have laws that require dimming the "fog"/driving the same as the high beams.

Most people in the states don't follow the law.

I'm Glad my F-450's driving lights have GLASS lenses...

Originally Posted by Arkady001
Not a good idea to drive with them constantly switched on - if you want to do so, I'd think about putting in a lower wattage bulb rather than brighter ones - these lights are designed for short-term use only...i.e. in fog.

I don't know about the various State's legislation regarding fog-lights over there, but in Europe if you have fogs on and it's not foggy, you'll be pulled over by the cops and fined quite heavily as it constitutes a hazard to other road users...
Old 12/16/08, 04:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a good idea to drive with them constantly switched on - if you want to do so, I'd think about putting in a lower wattage bulb rather than brighter ones - these lights are designed for short-term use only...i.e. in fog.

I don't know about the various State's legislation regarding fog-lights over there, but in Europe if you have fogs on and it's not foggy, you'll be pulled over by the cops and fined quite heavily as it constitutes a hazard to other road users...
Makes sense, though ours aren't that bright and if aimed properly shouldn't be in anyone's eyes. It's amazing how many lifted trucks, Altimas and assorted other cars have really bright driving lights on all the time. The worst are those red/purple bulbs. Personally, they kill my eyes. Here in SoCal, the cops ticket pretty often on those, thankfully.

Mike E
Old 12/16/08, 06:18 PM
Bullitt Member

So who has found a decent place to buy replacements?
Old 12/16/08, 09:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Europe is a pretty big place, so I doubt the law stretches through all the countries. I've been in Germany 9 years living in 6 cities/2 states. Although I don't doubt the law exists somewhere, I've never had an issue with it being enforced anywhere I've lived.

**Edit: LOL...Just noticed you're only 1 1/2 hours away from me.

Last edited by scramblr; 12/16/08 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12/17/08, 04:32 AM
V6 Member

haha...yes, here you'll get pulled by the traffic cops unless they notice you have US military licence plates - if they do notice then they just won't bother, the same as when i'm in my Cougar which has UK military licence plates.
The laws I referred to are active in the UK, France and Germany to my certain knowledge...other countries not so sure, but all EU countries should be the same by now.
Old 12/17/08, 12:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

haha...yes, here you'll get pulled by the traffic cops unless they notice you have US military licence plates - if they do notice then they just won't bother, the same as when i'm in my Cougar which has UK military licence plates.
The laws I referred to are active in the UK, France and Germany to my certain knowledge...other countries not so sure, but all EU countries should be the same by now.
O.K., I'll stay out of your area. And the US plates are quickly becoming a thing of the past. So the Polizie has been more apt to pull over Mustangs thinking they have German registration.
Old 12/18/08, 08:02 AM
V6 Member

We have German 'style' plates on LH drive cars - the middle digits denote a military plate. Same with the UK style ones for cars bought there.
We have to re-register our vehicles with British Forces Germany to comply with German road laws - it's a right PITA, especially forking out 800€ for new headlights...and every year, just like the Germans we have to get the TuV inspection done - AND get insurance from a German broker, which is twice the price of a UK insurer...grrrr
Old 12/18/08, 08:46 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am guessing external heat also has something to do with this. My fog lights are always on and have a layer of StoneGuard vinyl on them. No signs of cracking yet. My fogs were replaced when the car was painted but they still have over 50,000 km on them. However it doesn't get as hot here as it would in Arizona.
Old 12/18/08, 12:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

We have German 'style' plates on LH drive cars - the middle digits denote a military plate. Same with the UK style ones for cars bought there.
We have to re-register our vehicles with British Forces Germany to comply with German road laws - it's a right PITA, especially forking out 800€ for new headlights...and every year, just like the Germans we have to get the TuV inspection done - AND get insurance from a German broker, which is twice the price of a UK insurer...grrrr
Ah, we have it a lot easier. Under the US SOFA we don't have to change anything. TUV is a joke and free as they inspect on US military bases.