2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

COVER or NO COVER? (POLL)

Search this Thread

Old 10/31/04 | 06:31 AM
GT Member

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket on the market yet. I would REALLY have to have it? I have found the louvers and need this one pieve. Please help me...
Old 10/31/04 | 07:42 AM
Cobra R Member

No dice just yet... have not got pricing back from one of the reps that set-up the test fit meeting back in May/June.
Old 10/31/04 | 08:47 AM
V6 Member

If not standard, it should at least be available as an option or as an accessory. It is a cheaply produced item that the target market is clearly in favor of and it's undeniable that it improves the looks of the car.
Old 10/31/04 | 03:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Yeah! -over 300 votes.
Old 10/31/04 | 04:00 PM
Bullitt Member

i hate useless crap in the engnine bay all these new Japanese cars with cover so you can even tell if there is an engine in there i am so happy ford decided to scrap the cover its just added weight and tackyness if you ask me
Old 12/12/04 | 11:39 PM

I voted for the cover, and I hope it will be available.
Old 12/13/04 | 01:05 AM
GT Member

It looks better with the cover.

The Ford GT's 550 hp V-8 would look cheap if it didn't have that cool, "POWERED BY FORD" thing on the engine. Same thing sort of goes with the Mustang GT.
Old 12/13/04 | 01:57 AM
Cobra R Member

I don't miss the cover as much as I thought I would, but still hoping Ford releases it as an option...
Old 12/13/04 | 02:29 AM
Bullitt Member

well...I picked no cover. since I want to add a shaker, and it would get tossed aside.
but since that wont happen soon, I guess I would rather like to see the cover on the engine, until my mod comes around.

can't go back and change my vote can I.
Old 12/13/04 | 02:31 AM
Bullitt Member

I think it has two sides. They kept it off to keep the price down, which is a good thing imo. In reality only a small percentage of car owners ever even pops the hood and therefore prolly couldn't care less. Car lovers like us here of course will miss it like crazy. Hence the outcome of the poll. I think Ford would do good business releasing one of these as an accessory. And btw if they don't eventually someone else will
Old 12/13/04 | 03:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

I guess we have our answer.

But really, amortizing the costs out into the unit contribution margin for each vehicle, this cover wouldn't have added more than maybe $100 per vehicle...not enough to realistically delete it. And as others have said: Just make it part of the IUP for those who want the extra aesthetic glamor. And glamor is good cause this car oozes glamor with its '60s retro muscle car heritage.
Old 12/13/04 | 04:53 AM
GT Member

The 05 has a retro look, but thankfully, a totally modern engine. I'm glad it looks 21st century under the hood. The cover would be extra weight, trapped heat, and wasted effort getting it off.
The dead spider on top of my engine provides the hi-tech look of individual intake runners, better insulation, smoother air flow, weight savings, and lower cost.
Old 12/13/04 | 01:57 PM
Bullitt Member

SO I guess no cover available to us anywhere yet?
Old 12/13/04 | 02:07 PM
I Have No Life

And you thought nobody would comment. All I can say is I am very upset at FORD for 3 things.

1. They had the dealerships hand out a flyer that showed the 18" fanblades (chromed) and the intake cover
2. The 18" fanblades were not available
3. They have not included, nor made the intake cover available.

What is the point FORD in marketing the vehicle with these items just to turn around and say "uh, sorry, you can't get those". That deserves a and a .

I definately think the engine bay is lacking something and it is that cover. I have had several people look at my car, who have never looked under the hood of a stang before and the first thing they say is "Where is the cool intake cover"! They all expect it to be there and so do I.

FORD, if you are sitting there and crying saying "but the cover is going to cost us $40.00 more per car to make it", well here is my darn cheque for $40.00 if that is what it takes for me to get the cover. When you have someone like me that wants to have their car in a car show and you add chrome stuff under the hood (rad cap, fuse cover, etc etc) this intake cover is a must.
Old 12/13/04 | 03:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by captin kapla@December 13, 2004, 2:08 AM
It looks better with the cover.

The Ford GT's 550 hp V-8 would look cheap if it didn't have that cool, "POWERED BY FORD" thing on the engine. Same thing sort of goes with the Mustang GT.
The Ford GT says Powered by Ford on the valve covers, which are functional, and made of aluminum.

The intake cover shown in this poll is a non-functional piece of plastic, which, IMO, is pretty dumb.
Old 12/13/04 | 03:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@December 13, 2004, 3:10 PM
FORD, if you are sitting there and crying saying "but the cover is going to cost us $40.00 more per car to make it", well here is my darn cheque for $40.00 if that is what it takes for me to get the cover. When you have someone like me that wants to have their car in a car show and you add chrome stuff under the hood (rad cap, fuse cover, etc etc) this intake cover is a must.
Although I agree with you about the 18" wheels, that was not necessarily Ford's fault, we have been told that it was a supplier problem.

As far as the cover, I doubt that people on this site are representative of the general population. As someone said earlier, most people barely ever even open the hood on their car, let alone do engine mods, or care about the engine looking good. So, it wouldn't make sense for Ford to include it on every car, just to raise the unit price.

Now, I do believe that Ford underestimated how many people would want the cover, after all, we know for a fact that they underestimated how many people would want IUP.

Anyway, personally, I'd rather see what the aftermarket offers, that way we can get a cover which suits our tastes, instead of us all having the same one. In reality, it is better this way, because it won't cost you much more to buy it aftermarket than it would've if Ford did it, and now you can choose the style you want (once they come out with them, which I'm sure they will).
Old 12/13/04 | 04:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@December 13, 2004, 3:10 PM
And you thought nobody would comment. All I can say is I am very upset at FORD for 3 things.

1. They had the dealerships hand out a flyer that showed the 18" fanblades (chromed) and the intake cover
2. The 18" fanblades were not available
3. They have not included, nor made the intake cover available.

What is the point FORD in marketing the vehicle with these items just to turn around and say "uh, sorry, you can't get those". That deserves a and a .

I definately think the engine bay is lacking something and it is that cover. I have had several people look at my car, who have never looked under the hood of a stang before and the first thing they say is "Where is the cool intake cover"! They all expect it to be there and so do I.

Why should you have to pay an xtra 40 bucks? That's exactly what they want you to do. The car [GT] cost 40 g's up here in Canada. If Ford can't give us a piece of plastic for our 40 grand, let them keep it.

After all, when the engine was first shown on their site, they showed it with the cover on. Matter of fact, they even bragged the engine up a bit,[new design].Then when the cars started arriving, no covers. Kind of like False advertising, if you ask me. If it was'nt suppose to come with the engine, they should'nt have shown it!

I was thinking of an 06? Will I get doors with that? Will I get an engine with that?

Here's what I say, and I hope FORD reads this....... No Cover ....... No Car! :angry:
Old 12/13/04 | 04:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

If someone is gonna make one, I wish they would hurry up and get it done. I personally would love to have the one Ford put on the pre-production models and I have not seen anything else out there yet. Come on Ford,CDC,Steeda or anyone else out there!
Old 12/13/04 | 06:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Does this 'Powered By Ford' cover mount with screws, or is it just press fitted on.....much like the Chrysler 300C?
Old 12/13/04 | 11:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Quick Reply: COVER or NO COVER? (POLL)