2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

COVER or NO COVER? (POLL)

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/04, 01:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone will make an aftermarket one. I voted that it should come with it, it is much cleaner and at shows with the hood up it will look good also. Now, how much will one be from the aftermarket companies???
Old 7/8/04, 06:47 AM

I wish Ford would take a bit more time and effort with the aesthetic basics of the engine bay, things such as better routing of wires and hoses, a bit a design and styling given to the basic components and castings themselves, maybe a bit of color, etc. For example, look at what Audi has done with their 4.2 V8 in the S4:

Very sharp, very clean. There are a few plastic shrouds of course, but look at how nicely the fuel rails are run, the nice valve cover design, the design, routing and color of the plug wires, etc. Just great attention to detail.

The Stang's engine bay, while undoubtedly perfectly functional as far as that goes, misses that extra aesthetic bonus that any car nut feels when opening the hood and gazing upon a beautiful piece of machinery. Might it cost a bit more? Of course, but then since when is the Mustang all about cold economy rather than a certain performance car spirit.

If not the engine cover, then I hope Ford engineers take a bit of effort just to route things a bit better and clean up the engine bay presentation a touch.
Old 7/8/04, 07:30 AM
GT Member

First, i just want to say thanks to whoever gave a compliment on the '96-'98 Cobra's intake. I rather like it myself.

Next, i want to say, i hope the cover is there if it will make the majority of you happy. However, i personally hate fake plastic shrouds and covers on an engine. I want to see the motor, even if it isn't perfectly neat or extra shiny. I am a guy who works on his own car and does his own modifying of components though. So, when i look at that cover, it kind of makes me laugh. Especially the fake black intake runners that abruptly end. But, hey...if having it on there will make a few people buy Mustang GT's who might not have otherwise, then leave it.

Oh, and is there anyway the complaints about SVT could end? Trust me, the next Cobra won't have a engine cover of any kind. And where exactly did the rumor get started that SVT was the reason the 18" wheels won't be offered from the outset on the GT. There is no way that the 18" wheels seen on the GT show cars will be used on the new Cobra. The Cobra will get its own unique wheels.

And, complaining that the Cobra gets a better suspension than the GT, doesn't make alot of sense either. The Cobra is the premium model. It gets the best suspension, engine, transmission, and various other parts. This doesn't mean that Team Mustang is being held back to make SVT look good. Has this ever been the case in the past? The Cobra gets planned after the rest of the line-up has already been decided. That is how they know where their starting point is, and how far above the GT they need to shoot for. They don't walk in, see the plans for the GT and pick and choose what the Cobra will steal away. You guys scare me sometimes. lol

Sorry, i kind of hijacked the thread. I sometimes get lost in a thought.
Old 7/8/04, 09:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Especially the fake black intake runners that abruptly end.
97RedSnake, I think those are the real intake runners but it's hard to be %100 sure by the pictures. Has anyone out there seen it first hand?
I agree about the 96-98 intake looking good. In fact, the whole car is sweet. The 96-98 hood is one of the best looking hoods ever made.
Old 7/12/04, 09:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Est. $4.7 million for the cover (188 @ $25k ea.)
Old 7/12/04, 09:13 AM
GT Member

If it doesn't come standard, at least make it an option. And, yes, I'd tick that box!
Old 7/12/04, 12:29 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Kahdir@July 12, 2004, 9:03 AM
Est. $4.7 million for the cover (188 @ $25k ea.)
I must have missed some part of your post. If you are only making 188 of them and it costs $4.7 million. That comes out to $25k per cover.
Old 7/12/04, 08:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Just associating a $ figure of buying power that want the cover -guestimating the avg. Mustang GT cost->(purcha$e) of $25k... I'm figuring the cover may cost in the $50-$125 range...
Old 10/9/04, 09:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Not to beat a dead horse... but, was hoping that FORD would offer the cover as an option or atleast in their accessory catalog... Oh well

Wonder if anyone is able to get their hands on one the preprodution ones? :scratch:
Old 10/9/04, 09:28 AM
Cobra Member

In retrospect, I actually like the cover now. I'd like to change my vote, please... I've been disenfranchised, get Jesse Jackson!
Old 10/9/04, 09:33 AM
GT Member

god i loved that cover
one of the reasons why i fell in love with the car and ordered it only to find out a few months later that there is no cover :bang:
Old 10/9/04, 09:45 AM
Bullitt Member

It only holds in heat and adds weight, why bother? Doesn't add any performance... f-body boys have similar issue with the fuel rail covers the vette gets but the camaros and firebirds didn't. I had a better solution, moved the coils off the valve covers and up on the firewall, cleared the engine of all the clutter and put on pretty polished valve covers. Problem solved, clutter gone, engine dressed up, no added weight or object trapping heat.

Before:
Old 10/9/04, 09:47 AM
Bullitt Member

After:
Old 10/9/04, 10:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Where's the 'who cares' choice? I think that an aftermarket intake with a twinscrew KB will ride on top of my motor in due time.
Old 10/9/04, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

There should not be any worry over the cover -- Ford realizes what we're saying is right -- they'll happily allow all of us to pay their $99.95 fee for such a pretty chromed cover.
Old 10/9/04, 11:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Simple: Make the cover a option

does anyone have a photo of the V6 in the car? i googled but can only see V6 cutout type pics...
Old 10/9/04, 12:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I voted for the cover, only because that intake is pretty ugly without it.

If it were a full engine bay cover (or what seems like) that you see on so many luxury cars these days I'd of voted against it no matter how ugly things looked underneath it !! As was stated by someone earlier ... I like to see the engine, and a cover only retains heat and adds time to servicing.

This here is a pretty simple intake top cover that sound pretty simple to remove if necessary for servicing (someone mentioned 4 screws ??). However I don't see that it is blocking access to any typical service type items.

Doug
Old 10/9/04, 03:21 PM
GT Member

I agree- the cover is a must... at least as an option
Old 10/9/04, 08:42 PM
GT Member

Please put a cover on that! Looks like freakin' Borg technology in there without it...
Old 10/10/04, 02:08 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope ford considers this as a option for the convertible when it comes out ,or even aftermarket ford products in the future.

Quick Reply: COVER or NO COVER? (POLL)