Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple few questions

Search this Thread

Old 8/18/04, 09:01 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a few quick questions.

1. If you order one now or prior to now or prior to JOB1 will you recieve your car like immediately? Like the first day of JOB1? Or will will you have to wait like 2-3 weeks?

2. Now do the back seats fold forward? Thus making trunk space larger?

3. Now what exactly are sequential taillamps? I get the impression depending on the force your applying the brakes the amount of taillamps light up. Like light tap and the outside lamps light up, more pressure middle and outside lamps light up, most force all 6 lights light up.

4. If should I decide to get the Mustang what should be aware with the dealer(ship)?

5. I'm still trying to figure out how the auto transmission works. I so far got that the torque converter is a actually a chamber filled with tranny fluid and that the flywheel and the sun gear(?) are in the same chamber and since the fly is always spinning it causes the sun gear to spin as well because the water is moving around. When spinning in unison they engage and come in contact. Then if you depress the brakes the fly and sun disengage and then the sungear stops moving altogether when at a complete stop. Is this right? I know how an engine works, how the brakes work and power steering and exhaust and pipes, and pretty much everything else. Tranmissions are confusing though for me.
Old 8/18/04, 09:12 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
1) Yes, magic fairies will get the car to your place 20 seconds after its made.
It takes 6-10 weeks. If your car is finished assembly, it will not arrive till it arrives (based on where you live and distance etc)

2) yes the seats fold...read the faq

3) No...they are not pedal sensitive...they all come on. Try searching for Web Electrics Sequential tailamps or a place that sells them for a description.

4) The same things when you buy any car...don't get screwed

5) www.howstuffworks.com
Old 8/18/04, 09:18 AM
V6 Member

You've kind of mixed up the workings of the automatic transmission. The torque converter takes the place of the flywheel and clutch of a manual transmission. In their place are two fan-like rotors, one attached to the engine and one to the input shaft of the transmission. In between them is a smaller, fixed fan-like device called a stator (I believe -- this is from memory!). There is no mechanical linkage between the engine and transmission. You are correct that the whole workings in submerged in automatic transmission fluid.

The turning action of the engine rotor moved the fluid, which in turn moves the tranmission's input rotor. The stator boosts this action at low speeds, effectively multiplying torque. Because there is not mechanical connection between the two (there is an exception, but I'll get to that later), the car can sit in gear and stopped without stalling. With the brakes on and the car stopped, the engine rotor continues to turn, while the transmission rotor stays stationary. The drag racing "brake torque" stretches this by applying throttle to boost engine rpms; when the brake is released the engine is already at a higher rpm and take off is substantially improved.

I mentioned there is not mechanical link between in the torque converter. This used to be true, but as you might imagine, there is always some slippage between the two rotors. This hurts fuel economy, so today most cars have a "lock-up" torque converter. A small conventional wet clutch is added to the torque converter to allow the engine and transmission to be mechanically locked during cruse and light acceleration, improving efficiency.

As for the rest of the workings of the auto trans, I suggest checking out the "how stuff works" website. I do a bit of writing on technical subjects and find it a great initial resource. They have a piece on automatic transmissions here - http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automa...ansmission.htm.

Hope that helps!
Old 8/18/04, 09:21 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As far as I know, sequential tailights flash inner, inner and middle, then all three. In sequence. They replace the blink on, blink off turn signals.

I've borrowed Andre's avatar, shows how thew work

Old 8/18/04, 10:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are some pics I took of the back seat.
Rear seats up
Rear seats down
Old 8/18/04, 03:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

All you need to know about an automatic transmission is that they are junk. They weigh more, cost more to fix, take away more HP, and cost you more in MPG than manuals. Don't get an auto!
Old 8/18/04, 03:42 PM
Cobra Member

In the 1/4, automatics can be made faster than manuals. With a chip and shift kit, your shifts will be much faster than if you had a manual, and will therefore be faster. And the weight difference between a manual and automatic is so minimal that it shouldn't even be considered. And since they are techincally more advanced than manuals, I wouldn't consider them junk. To each his own, though.
Old 8/18/04, 04:02 PM
GT Member

Agreed, Dr Ivan. The only substantial reason I agree with to get a manual over an automatic is the fun-factor. And that's only if you consider driving a stick fun, which I do.
Old 8/18/04, 04:05 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah, no doubt. I definitely prefer the manual, but automatics can be pretty nice. Especially driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Old 8/18/04, 04:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok, they aren't junk, I was using hyperbole. But Dr Iven, you said they can be made faster. Well, of course they can. If you spend enough money, you could make a yugo faster than a Porsche.

My point was that this guy is thinking about getting an auto, and if you take a stock auto it will lose to a stock manual, provided that both drivers have decent skills.
Old 8/18/04, 04:20 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah, I understand your point, and you're right.

But, I was just saying that an automatic can be better than a manual for a mere $250 chip. But, it'll never be as fun as a manual.
Old 8/18/04, 07:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Dr Iven@August 18, 2004, 3:45 PM
In the 1/4, automatics can be made faster than manuals. With a chip and shift kit, your shifts will be much faster than if you had a manual, and will therefore be faster. And the weight difference between a manual and automatic is so minimal that it shouldn't even be considered. And since they are techincally more advanced than manuals, I wouldn't consider them junk. To each his own, though.
50lb difference according to the presskit. 3450 for man and 3500 for auto GT. 3300/3345 for V6. Don't know how much difference that makes in a race if all else is equal.
Old 8/18/04, 08:31 PM
Cobra Member

A little. But then you also lose a bit of horsepower and torque in the tranny. But, as Iven said, chip kits make you go faster.

Manual's are very fun. Get one. Now.
Old 8/18/04, 09:14 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Shea@August 18, 2004, 4:17 PM
Ok, they aren't junk, I was using hyperbole. But Dr Iven, you said they can be made faster. Well, of course they can. If you spend enough money, you could make a yugo faster than a Porsche.

My point was that this guy is thinking about getting an auto, and if you take a stock auto it will lose to a stock manual, provided that both drivers have decent skills.
Both drivers have to have skills when driving?? I can understand the manual driver but the auto is more like stomp on the gas. :scratch:
Old 8/19/04, 06:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Linkoln+August 18, 2004, 9:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Linkoln @ August 18, 2004, 9:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Shea@August 18, 2004, 4:17 PM

Both drivers have to have skills when driving?? I can understand the manual driver but the auto is more like stomp on the gas. :scratch: [/b][/quote]
Yeah, I think a tie (or anything close to a tie) should go to the manual. IMO, a manual takes more skill.

Don't get me wrong, autos can be fun too, and a relief in heavy traffic. I drive an auto now, but look forward to the manual 05.
Old 8/19/04, 06:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, at the very least the manual driver needs to have skill. I would say that even an auto driver needs skill, because, for instance, he could just floor it and sit there with his tires spinning if he doesn't know better.
Old 8/19/04, 07:00 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Shea@August 19, 2004, 8:58 AM
Well, at the very least the manual driver needs to have skill. I would say that even an auto driver needs skill, because, for instance, he could just floor it and sit there with his tires spinning if he doesn't know better.
That's why you have TC.. j/k mate!
Old 8/19/04, 09:07 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Manuals are better for mpg? Not necessarily true. You have to shift at the proper revs to get the best gas mileage out of a manual. You don't need to worry about that with the automatic. Regardless....I am buying a 2005 Mustang GT with a standard tranny...which means "I don't care about mpg".
Old 8/19/04, 10:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by adrenalin@August 19, 2004, 9:10 AM
...which means "I don't care about mpg".
Same here. I don't think I have owned a car that got better than 20 mpg consistantly in the areas I have lived. Heck My T-bird needs mid grade as it is now. So I am already saving some money off the bat when I get the 05.
Old 8/19/04, 11:55 AM
Cobra Member

take a look at the axle ratio of the auto..... might want to think twice before you think a chip is going to put you ahead of a manual. My first GT was an AOD..... NEVER AGAIN... I'll say that I beat the pi$$ out of it, but I got dogged on so many races, it wasn't funny.... can't get 'em off the line quick enough... and a high stall converter isn't practicle for a daily driver.
3.31:1 for V6 and GT auto
3.55:1 for GT manual