2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Cost of 2006 GT

Search this Thread

Old 8/13/07, 03:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost of 2006 GT

I've been busy trying to build my 2008 v6 premium and while at the dealer came across a manual 2006 GT premium. I drove it and it was great!! It has 8,000 miles on it and an interior upgrade package. It is also "certified used" so the warranty is 7 yrs/75,000 miles. They are asking $22,988. Does that sound reasonable? Man I would LOVE to have a GT....Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 8/13/07, 03:37 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
For an 06,that sounds a little expensive to me, they'll probably have a better deal on Labor Day. I just think that's a tad much. And what I really dont understand is: how can they offer a better warranty on a used car than from the factory?
Old 8/13/07, 04:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats a great deal in my view, well around my area a used one is 23-26k
Old 8/13/07, 04:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Sounds good to me. I paid around $1500 less for mine with a few more miles and being 05. So sounds about right for what your getting.
Old 8/13/07, 04:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

You said that's the asking price? Then they probably have a little room there. If you like it, make them an offer. I just bought an '07 GT 5-speed witn only IUP and interior upgrade, and invoice was $26,990. If you take off the $2000 rebate, that's $24,990 for an '07. So they might be just a little high, but if you like it, go for it.
Old 8/13/07, 04:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Local Ford dealer has 6 used GT's on his lot ... all certified with 7 year / 75,000 mile warranty with 0 deductible on repairs. They have a really clean Legend Lime GT with 19,000 miles, Leather, IUP, etc ... too bad it's an automatic though. Actually they were all automatics.
Old 8/13/07, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JonW
You said that's the asking price? Then they probably have a little room there. If you like it, make them an offer. I just bought an '07 GT 5-speed witn only IUP and interior upgrade, and invoice was $26,990. If you take off the $2000 rebate, that's $24,990 for an '07. So they might be just a little high, but if you like it, go for it.

I've never bought a used car before - what's reasonable to offer? I would usually gauge that by the invoice with a new one but in this case no invoice - is there a "normal" amount to take off the asking price?

Thanks all of you for your input!
Old 8/13/07, 05:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
For an 06,that sounds a little expensive to me, they'll probably have a better deal on Labor Day. I just think that's a tad much. And what I really dont understand is: how can they offer a better warranty on a used car than from the factory?

Yeah that's a good question. I swore dealer said it was the same as an extended warranty, but maybe I heard him wrong? Could be a powertrainwarranty? Could be the original buyer bought an extended warranty? I'll have to clarify it with the dealer.
Old 8/13/07, 07:24 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangLynda
Yeah that's a good question. I swore dealer said it was the same as an extended warranty, but maybe I heard him wrong? Could be a powertrainwarranty? Could be the original buyer bought an extended warranty? I'll have to clarify it with the dealer.
The Ford certified program is a good deal, find out the details but don't sweat it.
As to the price...
Tell them you will give them $20K and stand at that price all day.
You will find out what their bottom line price is that way.
Then decide if you can afford what the real price is.
Old 8/13/07, 07:38 PM
GT Member

It also depends on the upgrades...are the wheels the polished fan blades? What about the interior? Is it upgraded? There are a couple of things that could add to the price.
Old 8/13/07, 08:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

When I bought my Mustang a month ago, the dealer had 6 or 8 new ones, and at least 30 used ones in stock. Used Mustangs are very plentiful right now. Check out kbb.com and edmunds.com, research the car, and make a reasonable offer based on your research.
Old 8/13/07, 08:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jpro
It also depends on the upgrades...are the wheels the polished fan blades? What about the interior? Is it upgraded? There are a couple of things that could add to the price.
Good point - I'm pretty sure it was only the IUP but I'm going back tomorrow and will check it out more carefully.
Old 8/13/07, 08:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by karman
The Ford certified program is a good deal, find out the details but don't sweat it.
As to the price...
Tell them you will give them $20K and stand at that price all day.
You will find out what their bottom line price is that way.
Then decide if you can afford what the real price is.
HAHA!! I hear ya. OK, I'll do that. $20K it is
Old 8/13/07, 08:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JonW
When I bought my Mustang a month ago, the dealer had 6 or 8 new ones, and at least 30 used ones in stock. Used Mustangs are very plentiful right now. Check out kbb.com and edmunds.com, research the car, and make a reasonable offer based on your research.
Trade value is $21K.

OK you guys, when I do buy this car can I rely on you to educate me on mods? I already have my first question - can I get the 3.55 gear ratio aftermarket? Reason I ask is the v8 didn't seem to have the same "grab" as my v6 both when I let out the clutch and also when giving it gas when coasting. Or maybe I should be shifting at a higher rpm with the v8 (v6 I shift btwn 3-3.5 rpm)?
Old 8/13/07, 10:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
MustangLynda -

Hello from a fellow Cincinnatian. At which dealer is the car located?

The 2006 GT already has a 3.55 rear gear as standard in the manual car. If you are shifting at 3000-3500 RPM, you are not at the torque or horsepower peak. If you want to feel seat of the pants whoosh, you need to spin that engine up to 5000 RPM (or up toward 6000 for the full effect).

Let me know if I can be of any other assistance in your decision process.
Old 8/14/07, 07:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hi Tony! The car is at Walt Sweeney Ford on Glenway.

OK, let me ask you this, since you experience the same winters I do. I have to drive the top half of 275 from West Chester to Harrison/Rybolt everyday, generally close to last on the plowing list. Except for one '89 5 liter I have always had v6's - the '05 has been somewhat of a challange in the snow (no traction control) but not horrible. Am I asking for a whole lot of trouble with the GT? I am willing to get snow tires if that would make it doable. Thanks! Great to know someone from Cincinnati on here!
Old 8/14/07, 08:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hi Tony! The car is at Walt Sweeney Ford on Glenway.

OK, let me ask you this, since you experience the same winters I do. I have to drive the top half of 275 from West Chester to Harrison/Rybolt everyday, generally close to last on the plowing list. Except for one '89 5 liter I have always had v6's - the '05 has been somewhat of a challange in the snow (no traction control) but not horrible. Am I asking for a whole lot of trouble with the GT? I am willing to get snow tires if that would make it doable. Thanks! Great to know someone from Cincinnati on here!
Interestingly enough, I am going right by there this morning as I take my wife to the doctor, so I will stop by and take a look at it!

I drove my '07 GT through this past winter. The traction control, for the most part, helped maintaining travel. There were 1 or 2 times where I switched it off and started in 2nd gear to get going. I have the optional 18" wheels with high-performance all-season tires. For our snow, so long as you are not on steep hills, you can get around. If you got a dedicated set of snow tires on different wheels, you would definitely be best served by that. However, with the amount of snow we get around here, I bought sand bags instead and use them in the trunk, along with the stock tires.

I know around the Harrison/Rybold area there are some rolling hills. However, if you are right off the interstate, you should be able to make it to your destination.

Let me know if you need more info.
Old 8/14/07, 10:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Tony you are a gem! If you do look at it I'd be greatful to hear what you think. I'll be going over there this afternoon to drive/look at it again.

Regarding Harrison/Rybolt and hills - well at least they PLOW in Green Township!!

Any advice on where and what wheels/tires? Oops, better buy the car first
Old 8/14/07, 10:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Tony you are a gem! If you do look at it I'd be greatful to hear what you think. I'll be going over there this afternoon to drive/look at it again.

Regarding Harrison/Rybolt and hills - well at least they PLOW in Green Township!!

Any advice on where and what wheels/tires? Oops, better buy the car first
I ran by the lot but didn't see where it was. Let me know if you want to meet up tomorrow sometime. I might be able to do that, assuming you have not purchased it already!

Tire Rack - 17" stock wheels and Bridgestone Blizzak in the 17" size
Old 8/14/07, 12:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Tony - Nice of you to help out a newbie.

Welcome Lynda! Tony is an old pro at Stangs....great local resource for you!

Quick Reply: Cost of 2006 GT