2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Convertible Top Problem

Search this Thread

Old 1/25/06, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well its been only 9 months and my Z-fold broke. One of the support bars that keep the Z-fold stable sheared off its bolt. Living in Florida, I might be using the top more than others, I put it up and down at least once a day during the work week, sometimes up to 3 times. It can be sunny then rain every day during the summer. I didn't do anything outside of normal operation. I searched the forum and didn't see anyone else report a similar problem.

This is what happens when I try to open the top:
[attachmentid=43663]

This is the side the broken bar is on:
[attachmentid=43661]

Here is a close up of the the bar and where it broke/sheared off.
[attachmentid=43662]

I was happy to learn that the top moves fairly easily by hand. Once I nudged the right side even with the left side, the top would go all the way up automatically. However, once it met the windshield, it wasn't fully lined up, but I could do it manually.

Another nit, a few months back, one of the metal clips on the latching mechanism (on the top of car) broke off. Because top doesn't always line up perfectly when closing, the handles/latch on the top often hit the clip when pulling down to lock in place. I had to use needle nose pliers to keep it in place. Not a perfect photo, but you can make out the metal clip and the flaps I crimped back:
[attachmentid=43664]

I just dropped it off at the Ford dealer yesterday, its going to be handled by their oursourced "Top" guy. I'm hoping they don't have to order a whole new Z-fold, like they had to order a whole new top when my rear windshield become unglued. (My first top problem)

She's up to 7200 miles and been great otherwise, I just hope the problems don't keep cropping up.
Old 2/10/06, 06:48 AM

Well after replacing the entire Z-fold mechanisms on both sides of the car over a 2 week period, I finally got my car back from the dealer. Unfortunately I only had the ride home before I found a new problem. The second time I drove the car, the driver's side seat belt locked up as I tried to put it on. Its now stuck half way extended.
The service guy said they need to replace the entire seat belt system whenever anything goes wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this myself? I don't want to have to wait another 2 weeks for parts and service.
Luckily the passenger seat belt reaches all the way over to the driver's side latch, that darn alarm kept going off every few minutes.
Old 2/10/06, 11:57 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Man, you've had all sorts of issues.

Does the top seem to be fixed to your satisfaction?
Old 2/10/06, 12:19 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JeffreyDJ @ February 10, 2006, 2:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Man, you've had all sorts of issues.

Does the top seem to be fixed to your satisfaction?
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, it has opened and closed properly twice already. And it even aligns better when I close it, so the front clip shouldn't break off anytime soon.

I fixed the seatbelt too. I pulled off the panels and found a bolt/fastener stuck in the seatbelt roller [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsdown.gif[/img]. They must have left it in there [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img] and it got lodged after I used the seatbelt for the first time. I was able to get it out of the way, but unfortunately, it fell down into the side out of reach and I can't get it out [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]. Probably will rattle around [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img], I'll try to get it out tonight.

So far the only problems I have had were related to the top, I expected some of those. If this same part breaks again or if other stuff starts breaking... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsdown.gif[/img] .
Old 2/14/06, 10:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Have the service department CALL you when the part comes in.....if the seat belt is useable that is. If it's a safety issue get a loaner/rental.....should be covered by your insurance if they don't give you a loaner.
Old 4/29/06, 06:21 PM

I am not impressed with their top design. I was one of the "lucky" ones whose window began to separate from the top. I got a new top out of that deal. Then my trunk leaked since a seam on the body wasn't welded. Now, I'm having a issue regarding how the top was replaced by the dealer's "top guy". It must not be easy to remove/replace and it shows in their workmanship.