2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

condensation on front windshield inside

Search this Thread

Old 9/6/08, 11:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
condensation on front windshield inside

The last few mornings as I have left work (I work nights) it has been cool and the car had consensation all over it, well I also had a spot inside my windshield that was wet. Similar to if you leave your window down some.
Its even been doing this if the car sits for a few hours and it rains or cools down. Im begining to wonder if my windows are not sealed very well. Anyone else have any similar expierences?
Old 9/7/08, 12:25 AM

Mine does the same thing....Normal I believe
Old 9/7/08, 05:23 AM

Condensation

I means you have some amount of moisture inside of the car, no big deal unless it's getting in via a leak. Make sure your mats and carpet are not soggy.
Old 9/7/08, 09:56 AM

Auto Glass, Windshield moisture

I have seen this on other cars, not the mustang in paticular, what it generally is, from my experience is a pin hole in your windshield seal that allows outside air to escape into your vehicle. Have your recently had a windshield replaced? On the mustangs the molding is wrapped around your glass, and could possibly allow moisture to seep into your car, if the urethane bead on your windshield is on top of where the molding meets the glass. Over time these moldings can dry rot and stretch out and become loose from the glass.. a very easy way to test is get a air compressor and spray glass cleaner on the top of your windshield seal and see if it bubbles.

Larry Diesbach
NGA Certified Technician
FixMyWindshield.com member
Old 9/8/08, 07:45 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
as long as the interior isnt wet, and water isnt dripping in, I wouldnt worry too much about it, depending on how new your car is, I've also heard a few times that in brand new cars, the plastics will release a little moisture
Old 9/9/08, 05:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
This happens to me in the winter if there is moisture inside the car and the air outside is much cooler than the air inside. It is sort of reverse condensation (think of a beer can but the condensation is forming on the inside of the can). The solution is to park the car so the windshield faces the sun. I usually park with the windshield facing South during the winter to prevent this from forming AND icing up on the interior.

I wish our Mustangs had framed windows so I could install the weather deflectors/vent visors. I have the Weathertech units on my Crown Vic and they are very useful in the summer.
Old 9/9/08, 05:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had this happen in my expedition if I leave the A/C controls on vent or A/C when I park it and the conditions are right. Try putting the A/C controls to OFF or MAX A/C before you park the car and see if it makes a difference.
Old 9/9/08, 05:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I always leave the HVAC controls ON (or at least to keep the vents open) to help dry out the evaporator. I also try to turn off the A/C about 1-2 miles from my destination to prevent excessive moisture buildup in the HVAC ducts so you don't get that nasty mildew smell.
Old 9/9/08, 06:33 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Condensation in the early morning hours on a cool morning is normal.
Old 9/9/08, 10:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

This is normal, and there is a simple fix. In Seattle we have a lot of moisture and this simple technique always prevents moisture buildup on the inside of the windshield.

When you park your Mustang and before you turn off the engine switch the HVAC control **** to the off position "O". This shuts off the valve that lets in outside air into the cabin. Or, you can also turn the **** to "Max AC" or flip on the "recirculate" button. Make sure to do these before you shut the car off or it won't do anything.

If you do have moisture build up on the inside flip your HVAC to "MAX AC", set the temp to luke warm, and the AC will draw out the moisture.

Conversely if you are experiencing a super hot day turn your HVAC control to "windshield vent" before you park your stang in the sun and it will let some of the hot air out of the Mustang.

Last edited by Little Black Pony; 9/9/08 at 10:15 AM.
Old 9/10/08, 12:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ditto on the normal. I get it all the time here in VA. If it's been exceptionally humid (like right after raining) and I've had the windows down, there's a fair bit of humidity inside the car when I get back to the slot. Sometimes I just run the AC with the windows up for a short bit before getting out.
Old 9/10/08, 07:53 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Black Pony
This is normal, and there is a simple fix. In Seattle we have a lot of moisture and this simple technique always prevents moisture buildup on the inside of the windshield.

When you park your Mustang and before you turn off the engine switch the HVAC control **** to the off position "O". This shuts off the valve that lets in outside air into the cabin. Or, you can also turn the **** to "Max AC" or flip on the "recirculate" button. Make sure to do these before you shut the car off or it won't do anything.

If you do have moisture build up on the inside flip your HVAC to "MAX AC", set the temp to luke warm, and the AC will draw out the moisture.

Conversely if you are experiencing a super hot day turn your HVAC control to "windshield vent" before you park your stang in the sun and it will let some of the hot air out of the Mustang.
wow, never thought about that to get rid of the hot air
Old 9/11/08, 12:07 AM
Bullitt Member

mine has done it a few times and i live in colorado...of course i do live in colorado...lol
Old 9/11/08, 12:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

It is moisture in your car. Either by soggy mats or feet ;-)