2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the competition WILL be returning

Search this Thread

Old 6/4/04, 05:10 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
according to an article in autoweek.com, gm will definitely be producing another camaro. the news blurb was short on info, but the bigwig that made the statement seemed rather emphatic that the camaro was returning. let the games begin!! jackg 90 seville 94k
Old 6/4/04, 05:19 AM
GT Member

Yep. That's been confirmed for a few months now. It will ride on GM's global RWD Zeta platform. Reportedly the name Camaro may be dropped in favor of Chevelle.
Old 6/4/04, 05:38 AM
GT Member

wait a minute, zeta? isn't that the two seater 4 cylinder that pontiac is coming out with? jackg 90seville 94k
Old 6/4/04, 07:13 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by justgreat@Jun. 4th, 2004, 7:41 AM
wait a minute, zeta? isn't that the two seater 4 cylinder that pontiac is coming out with? jackg 90seville 94k
Solstice

Some guy at my work already put a deposit down on that thing. :bang: Lord knows why.
Old 6/4/04, 07:19 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by justgreat@Jun. 4th, 2004, 6:41 AM
No, that's Kappa.

Zeta will underpin sedans, wagons, and 4-seat coupes and convertibles. 350k+ units/year worldwide.
Old 6/4/04, 07:46 AM
GT Member

I know it may sound a little negative. But didn't they just recently compare the colorado with a suspension package to a mustang V6? Which would seem to mean. Chevy has an odd interpretation of what competition means. I would hate to think they meant putting a V8 in the colorado.
Old 6/4/04, 07:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

As usual, GM is a reacting to the market and I'm sure the Camaro will prove that. GM has trashed all its past glory for the unknown! Ford knows it strengths and builds on them. Mustang is a copy of NOTHING, it is a true original as it was 40 years ago. They all copied the first Mustang and where are they now? Mustang is stronger than ever. Ford respects its past as well as the desires of its customers. Bill Ford is the right man at the right time. GM, stop catering to the euro market (the new Corvette) at the expense of the US market! We want true American Muscle.
Old 6/4/04, 08:13 AM
Cobra R Member

I hope this is actually true. The GM competition rumors have been circulating ever since they killed the F body. I've never owned anything but Mustangs, and I wouldn't defect now, but I sure did enjoy the healthy competition.

Anybody know anything about a possible Dodge competitor? It'd be nice to see a Charger in the mix. I know there has been wishful thinking, but I haven't seen anything concrete about this.
Old 6/4/04, 08:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Not to get too far off topic but can I just say that Chevy makes some of the ugliest trucks I have ever seen in my life
Old 6/4/04, 08:28 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by BLAKE@Jun. 4th, 2004, 9:16 AM
Anybody know anything about a possible Dodge competitor? It'd be nice to see a Charger in the mix. I know there has been wishful thinking, but I haven't seen anything concrete about this.
The Charger is coming next year in four-door sedan format (reportedly with coupish styling) as a replacement for the intrepid.

A true Dodge Pony car based on the same platform as the 300 and Charger (the LX platform) is a possibility but there's been no confirmation as yet from DCX. Smart money says they will build one, but "when?" is the big question.
Old 6/4/04, 08:30 AM
V6 Member

well thehemi is back soo i dont think it will be long before it resides under the hood of a two door mustang competitor
Old 6/4/04, 08:31 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There are two roumers here, one is that the new charger is an Australian design (Holden) that has just arrived here under the guise Vauxhall Monaro. It uses the 5.7V8 (Corvette) and is a 2 door coupe. It is too big and cumbersome to really be a threat (and cannot really be classed as a muscle car as they have detuned the engine for passenger comfort)

There is also another story that they will be using the running gear from a 300c

(the following is an article from Auto Express)
Yeehah! The Charger's Back

here's another US legend set to charge on to the scene. The Dodge Charger is making a comeback, and it looks like it will flex its muscles in the UK.

Dodge first hinted that the name could return when it unveiled the Charger R/T concept in 1999, and while it hasn't been officially confirmed, a production version is tipped to debut at next year's Detroit Motor Show. It could be on sale in the US by spring 2005.

A spokesman for the firm said: "Dodge is launching across Europe in 2006, and there are very few reasons why the Charger won't be part of the range once the brand is up and running. Having a performance car lots of people recognise would be very exciting."
The Charger is the model that put Dodge on the muscle car map. It first appeared in rear-wheel-drive mode in 1966. In the Seventies, it was phased out, only to re-emerge briefly a decade later as a front-wheel-drive coupé.

This time around, Dodge is said to want the new version to fight it out in America with mainstream cars from Toyota, Honda and Ford - and to that end, the revived Charger is said to look very different from earlier models.

Based on the 300C's running gear, it would be rear-wheel-drive in standard mode, although a 4WD option is under consideration. It would also be available in two and four-door form. Prices have yet to be discussed seriously, but insiders expect the new Charger to be in the mid-$20,000 (£14,000) range. Marty Padgett

James
Old 6/4/04, 08:45 AM
V6 Member

So far we've heard of the Camaro returning in '08, the Chevelle's ressurrection (can we say Impala spinoff?), as well as the Charger. I am rooting for all of them to make production so as to revive the old musclecar era that is, day by day, being replaced with the inconcessant rattling of fart cannons on the back of stickered...er..."souped up" little crackerjack cars.
Old 6/4/04, 08:47 AM
GT Member

i wouldn't be so quick to write off an attempt by gm to go head to head with the mustang. gm has made some amazing progress in the last few years in bring out product that the public actually wants to buy and their quality has been greatly improved...check out the recent jd power results.

my biggest concern with the 05 mustang is the quality of the interior components and fit and finish. ford has got to get it right from the git go.
i don't want to see any crappy plastics or cheap fabric AND i want it to be under 20k for the v6 model. i have a passion for mustangs but money is money and i want a quality product. jackg 90seville 94k
Old 6/4/04, 08:50 AM
V6 Member

Amen!
Old 6/4/04, 09:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

This time around, Dodge is said to want the new version to fight it out in America with mainstream cars from Toyota, Honda and Ford - and to that end, the revived Charger is said to look very different from earlier models.

Two things... Please don't tell me they are comparing Ford with the rice kings, Toyota and Honda. And if the Charger will look too much different, I won't buy it...
Old 6/4/04, 09:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by jgsmuzzy@Jun. 4th, 2004, 8:34 AM
There are two roumers here, one is that the new charger is an Australian design (Holden) that has just arrived here under the guise Vauxhall Monaro. It uses the 5.7V8 (Corvette) and is a 2 door coupe. It is too big and cumbersome to really be a threat (and cannot really be classed as a muscle car as they have detuned the engine for passenger comfort)
Woah, wait a minute. Sounds like you are talking about the GTO here. Ain't no way Chrysler is going to use Holdens or anything with a Corvette engine in it.
Old 6/4/04, 09:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Dodge Charger
Nuff said...
Old 6/4/04, 09:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by justgreat@Jun. 4th, 2004, 8:50 AM
i wouldn't be so quick to write off an attempt by gm to go head to head with the mustang. gm has made some amazing progress in the last few years in bring out product that the public actually wants to buy
LMAO! Like what?

(If you say SSR, you're fired)
Old 6/4/04, 09:15 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by DrunkenDragon713@Jun. 4th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Dodge Charger
Nuff said...
You'd take a charger over a stang?

Quick Reply: the competition WILL be returning