2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Code p0622

Search this Thread

Old 5/12/21 | 07:43 PM
GT Member

Code p0622

Hey guy's I have a question... yesterday I had to change my clutch master cylinder in my 06 mustang gt.... well I had to take out the clutch and brake assembly and I had to unplug some wire connectors and like some sensors that was hooked to it.... today I checked for codes with my bama sct tuner and I got the code p0622 so i cleared it and for now it's not there.... would unhooking those wires and sensors cause it to throw that code... cause everything is back together and I cleared it and it's not showing back up like I said for now or is this something I should be worried about.... thanks
Old 5/12/21 | 08:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Code p0622 refers to the charging system did you unhook the battery when you unhooked the sensors. I would double check your battery, alternator, etc. Just to be sure there isn't a underlying issue that come.back to bite you in the you know where at the wrong time.
Old 5/12/21 | 08:48 PM
GT Member

No I didn't unhook the battery just those plugs and sensors then today I had that code....I cleared it and it's gone but I have noticed the last month or so that sometimes my headlights and interior lights will sometimes dim for just a second then go back to normal and that made me start thinking my alternator was going bad but I ain't had any problems with car dying or not starting just every once in awhile my lights will dim just for a split second
Old 5/12/21 | 08:54 PM
GT Member

The other day I put new axle backs on my car and I don't know what I did but now I also have a exhaust leak somewhere up by my header... I thought maybe i loosen the flange where it connects to my header but I looked and it looks fine and I started my car and got under it and it sound like it's coming from the header but I don't know what I could have done.... now would this cause my car to throw a code like that....I know that code is for like the alternator and battery and stuff like that....
Old 5/13/21 | 06:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Caseydilbeck78
No I didn't unhook the battery just those plugs and sensors then today I had that code....I cleared it and it's gone but I have noticed the last month or so that sometimes my headlights and interior lights will sometimes dim for just a second then go back to normal and that made me start thinking my alternator was going bad but I ain't had any problems with car dying or not starting just every once in awhile my lights will dim just for a split second
There it is. Bad alternator starting to happen. You can ensure the connections on the back of the alternator are correctly on, no corrosion or such. If they're ok, and the PCM end is ok too, then the alternator internals are probably going out, and it's completely coincidental that it happened when it happened... although it could also be the PCM, and one would hope not... You can have the alternator checked just about anywhere. Also ensure the battery terminals are really clean and properly protected from corrosion, as unclean/corroded batteries and terminals can cause the alternator to fail fast.

The car won't die, as the battery can take over, but it's not ideal. The car's designed to run on the alternator, the battery is for starting and running accessories with the key off. The alternator's designed to run the car when the engine's on, and short term charge the battery. The dimming briefly indicates the alternator isn't charging at that moment, and the car's 'failed over' to the battery for the duration of the blip. Sort of like an uninterruptable battery backup for a computer. You don't want this to be a regular thing, so the alternator should be replaced, or the issue causing the problem fixed, whichever the case may be.

Originally Posted by Caseydilbeck78
The other day I put new axle backs on my car and I don't know what I did but now I also have a exhaust leak somewhere up by my header... I thought maybe i loosen the flange where it connects to my header but I looked and it looks fine and I started my car and got under it and it sound like it's coming from the header but I don't know what I could have done.... now would this cause my car to throw a code like that....I know that code is for like the alternator and battery and stuff like that....
No, they're completely unrelated.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by houtex; 5/13/21 at 06:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Caseydilbeck78 (5/13/21)
Old 5/13/21 | 07:18 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the info I'm going to check everything out and go get my alternator tested this weekend
Old 5/13/21 | 08:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry didnt check this for a while but houtex is right on the alternator and your were also I was discussing this with a few of my friends at work and they were saying the alternator also. Sorry for the late response great job houtex. Thanks for picking up the slack.