Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/14, 06:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Question

My '07 GT/CS has 102k and I have recently felt the clutch slipping. It is my daily spirited driver. Any help on which clutch to get. Should I replace with a stock one as this one lasted or go with something better. I think at that time I should replace the slave but anything else needed to be looked at?
Old 2/16/14, 07:35 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Exedy or McLeod would be my top picks.
Old 2/17/14, 05:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
+1 on the Exedy
Old 2/19/14, 08:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Replacing the slave is a must while you're in there. I'd also get the flywheel machined while you're in there too.

I love my McLeod Street Pro --very progressive, nice feel and easy to modulate, BUT I get a buzzing noise around 1700 rpm, I think from the springs ...probably has something to do with natural harmonics of the engine. Its worst in 3rd and 4th gears. I'm told thats not uncommon for aftermarket clutches but have yet to find more than one or two other people that have the same problem.

The McLeod RST has a lot of high recommendations, but one thing my shop mentioned (besides the $800+ price tag...yikes) was thats not the clutch for you if you do a lot of stop and go traffic. The tolerances are apparently so tight that as the clutch heats up in heavy traffic, the thermal expansion of the disc starts causing it to drag. They had customers have those problems, hence why they don't recommend it if you are going to get a lot of traffic.

From all the reading I did, it seems like aftermarket clutches can carry varying issues. Just food for thought. a lot of people love McLeod, but some hate. Same goes for Exedy. I've hear a lot of bad things about Spec all around but I have no experience with them so can't say one way or the other.

If you're keeping your engine fairly stock it might be worth sticking with a stock clutch.
Old 2/19/14, 09:50 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm running the RXT in my car and have nothing but good things to say about it and my GT500 is a DD with almost 70k on it and almost 50k on the clutch.

That said, I think the RST and RXT clutches are overkill on the average GT unless a big power upgrade or heavy track use is in the future.

Originally Posted by Cavero
I've hear a lot of bad things about Spec all around but I have no experience with them so can't say one way or the other.
Yep same here plus I wasn't all that impressed with the SPEC in my buddy's Terminator which has since been replaced with an RXT as well. Also haven't heard many good things about Centerforce as a street clutch either.

All this is anecdotal and YMMV in any event.

Last edited by bob; 2/19/14 at 09:54 PM.
Old 2/25/14, 10:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Exedy is great. American Muscle has vids. The Mach 350 has the same pedal feel as stock, but locks up better and holds better at high RPM.

I also got an ACT lightened flywheel that was steel. Seems to pull much better in 3rd.
Old 2/26/14, 10:45 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by pilatti1
My '07 GT/CS has 102k and I have recently felt the clutch slipping. It is my daily spirited driver. Any help on which clutch to get. Should I replace with a stock one as this one lasted or go with something better. I think at that time I should replace the slave but anything else needed to be looked at?

Hey,

I am sorry to hear that it's that time in your Mustang's life to replace the clutch. However, 102k miles is a pretty good life for the factory clutch, especially if you drive it spirited!

As far as a recommendation, like others said, I would go with an Exedy Mach 350. This clutch is designed nearly identically to the factory clutch, with slightly upgraded components. If you liked the factory clutch, and you want something similar that can handle the abuse a bit better, this is the one to get.

Unlike most aftermarket clutch kits, Exedy clutches do not require a new flywheel. They will work with the factory flywheel and only require it to be resurfaced.

Beyond resurfacing the factory flywheel, the only other component you will need will be the hydraulic throwout bearing/ slave cylinder. Exedy makes their own kit which we offer for $179.99. Just make sure you buy an Exedy one if you go that route because other manufacturer's throwout bear/slave cylinder will not work with the Exedy clutch.

Keep in mind if you do order this from us, we offer a 6% discount to forum members. Also, if you see it advertised cheaper on a competitor's site we will match their price.

If you have any questions feel free to ask myself or contact our customer service team who's number is listed below. Good luck!

-Dan
Old 3/1/14, 06:12 AM
Bullitt Member

If you have 102k on the stock clutch I think that answered your question. Also you can buy take out clutches on places like eBay that are new clutches less than 1000 miles that places like roush remove on their cars really cheap. I just bought one for $18.00
Old 3/5/14, 02:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
102k miles on your stocker and you want to go aftermarket?

This shouldn't even be a question... replace it with your stock clutch.