2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Clunks, clonks and whines...

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/05, 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, my '05 GT now has a whopping 1200kms on the clock after 3 weeks of ownership and some of the usual '05 problems are cropping up. Firstly, since the 2nd day or so, I've had the popping/clonking noise from the front struts but just this week, the Shaker 500 started skipping and the rear differential is making awful noises intermittantly. The diff ailment sounds like it's coming from the clutch pack in the Traction-Lok. I first noticed it the very first time I launched the car hard with the traction control off. Once I let off the gas, there was a loud whine and vibration in the whole car that went away after a few miles. I tried anotehr launch and got the same noise/vibes. Scary. When I got home, I backed into the driveway and the diff made crunching/crackling noises as I tured the car around. I had a locker in an old Datsun 240Z that made these noises... I don't think my brand new Mustang should emulate a 70's Japanese car.

Anyway, the car is scheduled for its first service in June so I hope these problems will be dealt with quickly and painlessly then. Do you think I should call the dealer before then and mention these issues so they can be ready to fix them? Can I assume that the Canadian dealers are given the same TSB's that the US dealers get?

Anyone else have similar issues?
Old 3/16/05, 06:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I think you should get it to the dealer immediately and figure out what exactly is going on. No way should you be getting loud whines and vibrations. Just my .02
Old 3/16/05, 07:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by exc911ence@March 16, 2005, 7:28 PM
Well, my '05 GT now has a whopping 1200kms on the clock after 3 weeks of ownership and some of the usual '05 problems are cropping up. Firstly, since the 2nd day or so, I've had the popping/clonking noise from the front struts but just this week, the Shaker 500 started skipping and the rear differential is making awful noises intermittantly. The diff ailment sounds like it's coming from the clutch pack in the Traction-Lok. I first noticed it the very first time I launched the car hard with the traction control off. Once I let off the gas, there was a loud whine and vibration in the whole car that went away after a few miles. I tried anotehr launch and got the same noise/vibes. Scary. When I got home, I backed into the driveway and the diff made crunching/crackling noises as I tured the car around. I had a locker in an old Datsun 240Z that made these noises... I don't think my brand new Mustang should emulate a 70's Japanese car.

Anyway, the car is scheduled for its first service in June so I hope these problems will be dealt with quickly and painlessly then. Do you think I should call the dealer before then and mention these issues so they can be ready to fix them? Can I assume that the Canadian dealers are given the same TSB's that the US dealers get?

Anyone else have similar issues?
Sounds serious, I wonder if your car was built with the weaker version posi unit i read about.
Old 3/16/05, 08:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Weaker unit? Haven't heard that yet. I do know that there's a TSB about the posi units though...

Luckily, the noises only happen after a hard launch so since I try to baby the car, I don't hear it often. I'll call the dealership tomorrow to make a service appointment.
Old 6/7/05, 03:50 PM
V6 Member

Thought I would add this here instead of starting a new thread. Since April my 05 GT had the ever famous popping noise in the front end, and also whenever I turned left after driving 15-20 minutes(never when cold or only driven to the corner store from what I can tell anyway) there is an awful whine sound whenever I turn left at slow speeds (like first or second gear) Well I brought it in for it first oil change and to have it checked out, and after I explained to them it wasn't the tire and that there is a TSB on noises out of the front end, it still took them 5 hours to figure out that I was right about the TSB. They ordered the parts and after 3 weeks they came in and had everything done. Well, guess what! the whine is still there, they took care of the popping though. So I just brought it in again (a week since I had the TSB taken care of) The mechanic drove my car for 20 miles since it is only when it is driven for awhile (they must have been having fun cause they killed my fuel economy I usually get 20mpg it is down to 13.5 mpg) So anyway the mechanic isolated the noise to the rear end, and he checked my hydraulic, and machined my rotors whiched he said helped but the problem is still there, so I get a new rear differential and rear axle. Should be in next week. Also they had to order a new coolant resevior (sp?) since it has a sporadic leak. Sorry for rambling but hopefully it might help someone else down there. I have approx 2500 miles.
Old 6/7/05, 04:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the post ... I really hope you get all those problems sorted out and now others will be able to go in knowing what the problems are/could be.